PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland alone

Pages : [1] 2

annieb727
02-13-2006, 05:21 AM
Hi there...I am wondering what some of you think about visiting disneyland alone....I have an opportunity to go to DL for possibly two and a half days (maybe a little more) while I am in SoCal...

My last trip was with dh, and the one before that was with our 18 month old and three year old...

So I'm wondering about tips and such for doing disneyland on your own...

Thanks,
~Annie

stan4d_steph
02-13-2006, 05:30 AM
MousePlanet staff writer Shoshana Lewin wrote a great article about this subject. Here's a link (http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=tp040713sl). :)

annieb727
02-13-2006, 08:21 AM
thanks so much! i'm starting to look more and more forward to it...when we were there for our anniversary - we always said, "oh the boys loved this" "remember what elijah said about this"....and on and on...maybe I'll have to take a journal and write some of it down as I'm waiting in lines.

that link was very helpful!

Opus1guy
02-13-2006, 09:09 AM
Somewhat related, I wrote in another recent thread:

Well this certainly doesn't address the "we" part of your question, but I will opinion this:

The greatest and simplest way to see an entirely different Disneyland...is to go alone.

Honest.

Not having to concern yourself about others or talk or shush them during attractions and having the freedom to explore the many hidden treasures of Disneyland at your own pace...is a completely different experience that when you've got others in tow, no matter how much you love them or enjoy their company. It's a completely different Disneyland experience. I'm not necessarily saying that it's a better experience...just that it's a different experience and enjoyable on it's own level. IMHO.

Enjoy you solo visits!

lshimokaji
02-13-2006, 09:19 AM
:) ;) I was visting DL by myself and I was very surprise that the Cast Member were just as helpful, they made me welcome and they treated me like part of the Disney family

Stupid_American
02-13-2006, 09:35 AM
thanks so much! i'm starting to look more and more forward to it...when we were there for our anniversary - we always said, "oh the boys loved this" "remember what elijah said about this"....and on and on...maybe I'll have to take a journal and write some of it down as I'm waiting in lines.

that link was very helpful!

Don't dwell too much on past experiences at the park.
Let this be the time to take it in at your own pace and from your own perspective.

Without the usual distractions, you may discover much more.

Opus1guy
02-13-2006, 10:07 AM
Don't dwell too much on past experiences at the park.
Let this be the time to take it in at your own pace and from your own perspective.

Without the usual distractions, you may discover much more.

I agree. Let this be your time and yours alone. Enjoy it for what it is as it's happening.

There will be plenty of time to "think back" and/or miss your family, later...if that's what you want or end up doing. But during your visit...I agree with Stupid_American: Don't dwell on the past. Have some fun!

:)

cstephens
02-13-2006, 10:35 AM
So I'm wondering about tips and such for doing disneyland on your own...

One of my favorites things about going alone is that I can do anything I want. Not that my husband and my friends wouldn't be willing to come with me to do what I wanted, but it's different when there's no one else you have to take into consideration. If there's something you've always wanted to do, you can. If you want to take 20 minutes to look at one thing, you can. If you walk to the other side of the park and then decide you don't want to do what you were going there to do after all, you can decide to do something else without anyone else being annoyed that you went all that way for nothing.

Some of the places that are fun to explore when you have the time:

the 50th exhibit inside the Opera House on Main Street. With all the exhibits in there, you could spend a good amount of time in there.

if the Columbia is running, go below decks and look around. Those living quarters are tiny!

if the Twain is running, explore the boat. There is seating inside that has counters and mirrors and stuff.

if Tom Sawyer Island is of interest, go and spend some time there exploring.

(let me see if I can explain this well) if you were in Fantasyland walking towards the castle, there's a walkway to your right just before you get to the castle that's a short of shortcut to Frontierland. It's just to the right of where the entrance to the castle diaramas used to be, and I think it's the side wall of the princess shop. There's a great exhibit in the window there that includes pictures and information from when Disneyland was being built. I haven't had a chance to look at everything, but I could definitely spend 20 or so minutes reading all the info and looking at the pictures.

if there are favorites rides of yours that you don't get to go on often - now's your chance!

take a ride on the train and enjoy the view and details without any distractions.

Have a great time!

potzbie
02-13-2006, 10:57 AM
Why would anyone hesitate to go to Disneyland alone?
What is the worry?

I do not understand why someone would think, "I better not got to Disneyland without company."

Why wouldn't the grand opportunity of walking through the entrance tunnel, and seeing Main Street USA, be somehow compromised or tainted, if done without a second party being present?

It is always a thrill and a home-coming feeling, for me. Every time.
Why miss out on a thrill and a home-coming feeling, when given the opportunity?

CaptainHook15
02-13-2006, 11:08 AM
Go alone and don't think twice about it! You will have a great time!

I think my only complaint about going solo is that around 4pm or so, I start to miss having someone to talk to. Otherwise, everything the previous posters have said are totally true.

Be sure to tell us how it goes. :D

Mommy2NicknMax
02-13-2006, 11:08 AM
You'll also likely meet some really interesting people. On my last visit I meet lots of really great people while waiting for shows, parades, and fireworks. One man even told me he has a school named after him, even had a jacket on with the school's name on it. He was very interesting to talk to.

Friends and family have often asked me why I go alone in December. The first thing they have always said to me is, "Won't you be lonely?" I tell them, "I'm at Disneyland. I'm only alone if I want to be!" Have fun and enjoy all the sights! You may be surprised at how much you've missed of the park!

cstephens
02-13-2006, 12:09 PM
What is the worry?

I do not understand why someone would think, "I better not got to Disneyland without company."

Because many people think of Disneyland as a social place and wouldn't necessarily be comfortable being at a very social place by themselves. I personally don't have a problem doing things by myself, but a lot of people aren't comfortable doing things like going to the movies or to a meal or even shopping by themselves (not to say the thread starter feels that way). If you've never done Disneyland by yourself, I can certainly understand the trepidation. My first solo visit was the day I bought my first AP, and I wasn't really sure what to expect. I ended up spending all day there, from opening to closing, and I had a great time. But not everyone would feel that way. I too have gotten many comments from people who didn't understand how I could enjoy Disneyland, Sea World, a play or a movie by myself.

cfrith
02-13-2006, 01:02 PM
I agree, though it will be hard not to think of the great memories you've had. Personally, I think it would fun for maybe one day, but I think I would start seeing all the families and get a little sad I was alone. Maybe that's just me though. I have a hard time being away from my little ones for too long!

DisneyBrudy
02-13-2006, 01:06 PM
You will definatley love the park by yourself, my last day there there were things that the other 2 people with me didn't want me to do so they went back to the hotel while I checked out, the 50th display and watch the 50th movie that had some awsome colour footage of opening day at Disneyland, just stuff that you can't see anywhere else but in Disneyland. Also watched Steamboat Willie which I had never seen before. Just do it! Going to be fun with no one wanting to do different things at the same time! No conflicts!

cfrith
02-13-2006, 01:06 PM
The more I think about it, I think it would be a wonderful experience because you can do whatever you want when you want! As moms, we rarely get that!

cfrith
02-13-2006, 01:10 PM
What is the worry?

I don't know if you have children or not. For me, having children makes it difficult sometimes to feel okay about going to such a great place without them!

Opus1guy
02-13-2006, 01:12 PM
I think my only complaint about going solo is that around 4pm or so, I start to miss having someone to talk to.

If I feel "lonely" or feel the need for conversation...I usually find I have my pick of several tens of thousands of fellow Guests to strike up a conversation with. And then there are all the Cast Members. Many of my current friends were "found" at Disneyland on solo trips from the past.

I especially like striking up conversations with Guests from other countries. I've even volunteered to give impromptu "tours" for them if they seem interested and friendly enough. Again...many of these folks have become lifelong friends and we visit with them in their home countries if we find ourselves in the area. Or see them again on their subsequent visits to the U.S.

That's one of the great things about solo trips. They can be anything you want them to be. Even if that "anything" is to no longer be solo!

;)

annieb727
02-13-2006, 01:20 PM
Because many people think of Disneyland as a social place and wouldn't necessarily be comfortable being at a very social place by themselves. I personally don't have a problem doing things by myself, but a lot of people aren't comfortable doing things like going to the movies or to a meal or even shopping by themselves (not to say the thread starter feels that way). If you've never done Disneyland by yourself, I can certainly understand the trepidation. My first solo visit was the day I bought my first AP, and I wasn't really sure what to expect. I ended up spending all day there, from opening to closing, and I had a great time. But not everyone would feel that way. I too have gotten many comments from people who didn't understand how I could enjoy Disneyland, Sea World, a play or a movie by myself.

you know...that's a really good point -- I LOVE going to movies by myself...just to have ME time (I'm a stay at home mom with an almost-2-year old and a 3 1/2 year old)

I think I will really enjoy it...dh said he went once by himself and felt lonely -- though he is VERY extroverted -- he likes to be WITH people all the time...me on the otherhand...I love time to myself.

One thing I have been very curious about is the hidden mickeys -- anyone know where I can get information about them - I heard there's a list you can get?? That's something I would love to do, but dh was more interested in the rides!!

annieb727
02-13-2006, 01:21 PM
The more I think about it, I think it would be a wonderful experience because you can do whatever you want when you want! As moms, we rarely get that!

NO KIDDING!!! Will be nice to do what I want when I want!! Ooh...I'm getting VERY excited!!

annieb727
02-13-2006, 01:23 PM
I don't know if you have children or not. For me, having children makes it difficult sometimes to feel okay about going to such a great place without them!

I totally understand that one...though we did really well and had a blast when we went without them in December. So I think I'll be ok with that - they'll be with daddy - hopefully doing some fun stuff - like zoo trips everyday (we have a zoo pass)...

Hakuna Makarla
02-13-2006, 01:26 PM
Alone? you bet!! I am a loner most often any how so I would love doing it alone, just think you can go here or there or any where you want to go, eat and play as you like and just be free. Man you got it made hon, have a ball and yes disneyland alone is just as fun!! ( I am sure since I never did it LOL!

KDR
02-13-2006, 01:35 PM
One thing I have been very curious about is the hidden mickeys -- anyone know where I can get information about them - I heard there's a list you can get?? That's something I would love to do, but dh was more interested in the rides!!

http://www.hiddenmickeys.org/Disneyland/Disneyland.html

animalx
02-13-2006, 01:36 PM
I always tell my kids i'm going alone to Disneyland the next chance i get. I would love it. Just walk slow and enjoy the surroundings. I'm yet to actually do this as it's always a rush. Hopefully a good band is playing at the House of Blues.:)

annieb727
02-13-2006, 01:51 PM
http://www.hiddenmickeys.org/Disneyland/Disneyland.html

thanks!

Mommy2NicknMax
02-13-2006, 02:06 PM
Have you gone to see Aladdin at DCA yet? Or Billy Hill and the Hillbillies? If not, try to see those. Great shows!