PDA

View Full Version : When is Spring Break for Disneyland Area? [merged]

Pages : [1] 2

derraj25
01-09-2006, 04:17 PM
When are the Spring Break(s) for Southern California? We have booked our trip for April 9-13 not even thinking that this may be a Spring Break week. Living here in Oregon, our Spring Break is Mar. 27-31.

If our trip does fall on a Spring Break week, will the beginning of the week be characteristicly less busy than the mid to end of the week?

Thanks for the info.

derraj25

MammaSilva
01-09-2006, 04:22 PM
That's the opening weekend of the two weeks that are considered the 'official holiday HIGH season" for the area. Easter Sunday is on April 16th, and the reality is with year round schools, traditional schools taking the week before or after that holiday the resort is going to be very very busy. Take advantage of your early entry and use fast pass whenever you possibly can. Be prepared for crowds and bring your patience and you'll have a wonderful time.

derraj25
01-09-2006, 04:37 PM
Can I assume that Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of this week are less trafficed than Thurs - Sun? We have always traveled off-season (our last trip was December 5 - 9 2005, and Feb '05 before that) and traveled the first part of the week. The weekend crowd was leaving as we were arriving and for the most part, walked on to every attraction.

If we can, would you recommend changing to the week of the 2nd?

Momma, thanks for your quick reply. I appreciate it:p .

--derraj25

MammaSilva
01-09-2006, 05:51 PM
I have to say that lately there really aren't any 'slower' days...we were there in December on a week that 'traditionally' was very slow, they closed the gates briefly for two of the days we were there.....I don't want to mis represent things but I seriously doubt any days are going to be slower during those two weeks....we'll be there for the opening weekend as well and I totallly anticipate it to be extremely busy all week long.

derraj25
01-09-2006, 06:15 PM
You know, I don't think I will worry too much about it. The kids (ages 9, 7, 5 & 5 --not a misprint, twin girls:D ) won't care. We will just be happy to be together as a family in Disneyland in the warm California sun!!!

I am going to see if my Travel Agent can move us up a week to the 2nd for the sake of arguement, and if she can't oh well!

derraj25

How long will the 50th picture colages be up? We have 2 pix in Steamboat Willie, and 1 in Pooh, and 1 in Alice and would love to see them before they take them down.

momuvseven
01-09-2006, 06:35 PM
Hi, we are going on Spring Break as well and have gone almost every year. Yes it is busy but we always have a wonderful time. My very best advice is to plan to go early morning and then come back to the hotel for naps, showers, swimming and a meal. Then around five or six head back to the park and enjoy the night time atmosphere. Our kids can last till midnight at least once or twice with this routine and we cut back on the other days.
I also have twins and when they were five we took strollers for them. The strollers are my work horses since they carry snacks, water, extra clothes, jackets and mccl. stuff. They can be safely parked and left for an hour or longer while you are in shows or on rides. We have never lost anything this way but be aware CM will sometimes move them across the way but always nearby. We find that by taking frequent rides and later in the evening naps in the stroller the kids can go lots further and do not whine. I like the safety of the stroller too when the park gets crowded because I know where they are.

momuvseven

derraj25
01-09-2006, 06:48 PM
Now, that's great advice! Thanks for sharing. Does it seem during the busy season that it is not as busy in the evenings or is it pretty constant all day (night) long?

TTFN92
01-09-2006, 09:09 PM
Hi, we are going on Spring Break as well and have gone almost every year. Yes it is busy but we always have a wonderful time. My very best advice is to plan to go early morning and then come back to the hotel for naps, showers, swimming and a meal. Then around five or six head back to the park and enjoy the night time atmosphere. Our kids can last till midnight at least once or twice with this routine and we cut back on the other days.
I also have twins and when they were five we took strollers for them. The strollers are my work horses since they carry snacks, water, extra clothes, jackets and mccl. stuff. They can be safely parked and left for an hour or longer while you are in shows or on rides. We have never lost anything this way but be aware CM will sometimes move them across the way but always nearby. We find that by taking frequent rides and later in the evening naps in the stroller the kids can go lots further and do not whine. I like the safety of the stroller too when the park gets crowded because I know where they are.

momuvseven

I love having a stroller! I don't know what we will do when we don't need one anymore. My youngest boys are 5 (almost 6) and 4. My 5 y.o. is small and still sits in the stroller. When DH and I have gone with other adults we actually have to carry things or buy everything. We are used to filling the bottom of the stroller with snacks and water. I feel a stroller is a must :) .

annieb727
02-12-2006, 03:06 PM
Just wondering when people start flocking to DL for spring break? Any ideas?

Thanks! ~Annie

Darkbeer
02-12-2006, 03:41 PM
Disney has a six week period, starting March 13th thru April 23rd, with extended hours. The last two weeks will be the busiest, based on the extended hours.

BQ2
02-12-2006, 03:46 PM
Thanks Darkbeer! :)

Hakuna Makarla
02-12-2006, 03:59 PM
hEY DARKBEER,do you think the Monday, turesday, wedsnesday or thursday I will be there will be to bad? I go April 1st thru the 6th. what does it look like? thanks ( and happy early birthday, hope to see you there you and Lisa!

ILovePoker
02-12-2006, 06:07 PM
hEY DARKBEER,do you think the Monday, turesday, wedsnesday or thursday I will be there will be to bad? I go April 1st thru the 6th. what does it look like? thanks ( and happy early birthday, hope to see you there you and Lisa!
Like this.

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/photos/6480112-M.jpg

Hopefully Darkbeer won't mind.:D

Malcon10t
02-12-2006, 06:29 PM
Like this.

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/photos/6480112-M.jpg

Hopefully Darkbeer won't mind.:DOh, so its ok if Space Mountain is closed?

I would guess that the week Makarla is asking about will be moderatly busy. We will be there the following week, and expect summer crowds. The week before won't be as busy as most of CA gets either the week before or the week after Easter off.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
02-12-2006, 07:50 PM
We went during PHX spring break last year, and it was busy. We thought it would be less busy the beginning part of the week, but it wasn't. It was just busy busy busy, ALL week!
Have fun and like someone else posted, bring your patience.

ILovePoker
02-12-2006, 08:41 PM
Oh, so its ok if Space Mountain is closed?

I would guess that the week Makarla is asking about will be moderatly busy. We will be there the following week, and expect summer crowds. The week before won't be as busy as most of CA gets either the week before or the week after Easter off.
Moderately busy would be a very nice way of putting it but to be more accurate, I would expect it to be very zoo like and congested. With Spring Break schedules switching every year, it's hard to the resort to determine what the operating hours of the parks should be.

cindyland
02-14-2006, 10:55 AM
A friend told me a travel agent has been trying to book her family a suite or two rooms at the same hotel and there are no rooms anywhere! I thought this would be a calmer week than the following week. Oh well, better to be at DL than at home!

Hakuna Makarla
02-14-2006, 11:11 AM
A friend told me a travel agent has been trying to book her family a suite or two rooms at the same hotel and there are no rooms anywhere! I thought this would be a calmer week than the following week. Oh well, better to be at DL than at home!

I went thru the walt disney travel company ( and my travel agent) they could find only 2 motels for me that had rooms!!
I went last year at spring break, we had a ball and so I am just going to go with the flow. I plan on doing what I missed last time, and praying my friends will take my Rachal with them part of the time with them on rides. I really need to just relax this trip and people watch and have fun lounging. I am tired, and I do want rachal to have the best time, so I am going to do the mommy and me facials and make overs. Also a lot of rides, but we are meeting several mommys this trip so I hope RAchal can go with them part of the time so I can just sit. Sounds lame, but I am tired and I work 7 days a week and I just want to people watch, ( and see who all wears crocs LOL!
I am not running a much this trip, I Hope not any way :)

TP2000
02-14-2006, 06:24 PM
When are the Spring Break(s) for Southern California? We have booked our trip for April 9-13 not even thinking that this may be a Spring Break week. Living here in Oregon, our Spring Break is Mar. 27-31.

Easter Sunday is April 16th, so the April 9-13 will automatically be one of the busiest weeks of the year. The two weeks surrounding Easter, regardless of when that falls during the year, are always very busy. It's always been that way, and any guidebook at Barnes & Noble will tell you that. That's not something exclusive to Disneyland either; any resort area or tourist destination in North America or Europe will be very busy during the Easter weeks.

Another good tip is to check the disneyland.com operating calendar. If Disneyland is open until Midnight, then you can be sure that it will be busy. And during the two weeks around Easter Sunday, Disneyland is always open from 8am to Midnight seven days a week.

Don't forget to use Fastpass, and run to Space Mountain in the morning before the line gets to be 2 hours long.

TP2000
02-14-2006, 06:30 PM
Now, that's great advice! Thanks for sharing. Does it seem during the busy season that it is not as busy in the evenings or is it pretty constant all day (night) long?

The evening hours are actually the busiest, and that is when it is often hard to walk around the Park. DCA closes at 10pm, so around 9pm several thousand extra people all file over to Disneyland from DCA and replace anyone who is already leaving for the night.

In the evenings is when all of the main entertainment happens; fireworks, Fantasmic, and the last parade. They set up all sorts of crazy crowd control ropes all over the park, some walkways are closed down and rerouted, and many rides in Fantasyland shut down for an hour or more for fireworks. It can be very hectic and crazy in Frontierland, Adventureland, Fantasyland, Main Street and in the Central Plaza at night.

The far reaches of Tomorrowland and Critter Country are relatively calm at night though. But the rest of the park just gets crazier and crazier and it's most crowded once the sun goes down.

joy dean rach
02-14-2006, 08:00 PM
We're going to be in DL April 22-30....just after the Anaheim spring break.

CariBelle
02-15-2006, 12:43 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows if the 4th and 5th of March fall during any major spring break schedules.

Darkbeer
02-15-2006, 12:55 PM
It doesn't, but it does fall under the Cheerleader/Dance season, plus a weekend (Saturday and Sunday).

Be prepared for large crowds.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
02-15-2006, 12:57 PM
We are going to be there the week before, flying home on the 4th. I picked it over President's Day weekend. I anticipate the park to be more crowded with AP holders that weekend as well, since POTC is going down on Monday.

CariBelle
02-15-2006, 01:17 PM
Shoot. If I want to go for my birthday this year that's pretty much the only weekend I can go. I guess I'll have to just suck it up and deal lol.

Thank you folks :D