PDA

View Full Version : Still confused over Grand Californian Hotel entrance to DCA

ktrm
02-12-2006, 07:16 AM
I know many threads have discussed this but I still am unclear. If I am in DCA and want to go to the Whitewater Cafe for lunch, can I exit through the GC exit by Grizzley River Run, have lunch, and then return to DCA through the same exit? Do they have an attendent there who stamps your hand? I will not be staying at the GC but at an outside hotel. I don't want to go all the way out the main entrance and then down through Downtown Disney to go to the Whitewater Cafe if I don't have to. Disneyland considers this a special entrance for people staying at the DL resort, but many threads indicate that they only restrict its use at the beginning of the day.

millionairegirl
02-12-2006, 07:20 AM
Yes, you can. They do have a person to stamp your hand when you exit. If you have an AP this isn't necessary, but if you have a regular ticket or PH, then you'll need to get it stamped.

I've never had my room key checked at the GCH entrance. Even at the beginning of the day.

nursemelis374
02-12-2006, 07:23 AM
When I stayed at the GCH 3 years ago, they were checking room keys. I also have tried to get in since then with my AP and they would not let me.

DangerMouse
02-12-2006, 07:45 AM
When I stayed at the GCH 3 years ago, they were checking room keys. I also have tried to get in since then with my AP and they would not let me.

BUT, if you eat at a GCH restaurant, you ARE allowed access through the special resort entrance. I have never had an issue with this.

Darkbeer
02-12-2006, 08:13 AM
ALL guests are allowed to RE-ENTER thru the GCH entrance, it is only the first entry that is limited. And they do check for room keys (or charge slips) in the morning hours. By the afternoon, they don't check any more.

Go have lunch and enjoy!!!

potzbie
02-12-2006, 09:09 AM
ALL guests are allowed to RE-ENTER thru the GCH entrance, it is only the first entry that is limited. And they do check for room keys (or charge slips) in the morning hours. By the afternoon, they don't check any more.

Yes, that has been my experience.
I am an Annnal Passholder.
I have never been "checked" (going from Grand Californian hotel to DCA entrance) except once, and that was early, like 9:55 for a 10:00 a.m. opening of DCA.
So indeed I think the Cast Members restrict first-time (or relatively early) entrance, and have no restriction from late-morning onward.

Opus1guy
02-12-2006, 10:57 AM
ALL guests are allowed to RE-ENTER thru the GCH entrance, it is only the first entry that is limited.

Never knew that. Thanks for the info! :)

Mermaid
02-12-2006, 11:40 AM
I have an AP and went in and out of this entrance without a problem for dinner in Dec. This was the first time we had ever been in GCH so I don't know about other times. We had no problem at all though, they stamped out hands, I think.

minniemom
02-12-2006, 12:55 PM
Everytime we have stayed at the GC, we would have our room keys check to enter into the park in the morning. Last time we didn't stay at the GC, but had breakfast at storytellers. After breakfast we just showed them our reciept from Storyteller's and the let us enter through that enterance. It was even our first time going into the parks that day.

pisces
02-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Everytime we have stayed at the GC, we would have our room keys check to enter into the park in the morning. Last time we didn't stay at the GC, but had breakfast at storytellers. After breakfast we just showed them our reciept from Storyteller's and the let us enter through that enterance. It was even our first time going into the parks that day.

Was this any time around New Years Eve? That week they were especially strict in the morning. I was a bit frustrated because they knew me, and had already seen my room identification (I don't think it's the key---it's that little piece of paper that states you arrival/departure date---anyone can have a key lying around!).

The same person had seen my I.D. for the past several days, but insisted (first entry of the day/early morning) on seeing it again.

Again, this was around, and including, New Years Eve, in the mornings.

KarenW2
02-12-2006, 03:18 PM
We were at Storyteller's for breakfast on 2-8 (love that banana-stuffed French Toast!) and then went to the DCA entrance, to enter the park for the day. The guy checking bags asked us for our room key, said, "You guys know the rules here!" (don't know why he thought that) and we explained we'd just had breakfast at Storyteller's.

He asked for our breakfast receipt, checked the date on it, then let us enter the park there. Since I was in a wheelchair, it would've been a real pain for my hubby to have to take me all the way back out to DD and enter thru the main entrance, so I was glad our breakfast receipt was accepted.

Another time, we tried to enter DCA in the morning, before MouseAdventure, just so we wouldn't have to go thru the long lines at security, to enter at the main DL entrance. The guy asked if we were staying there, we said no, and he told us we couldn't enter there, so we had to go all the way back out and do the security thing for the main DL entrance.

If we're going to DCA, we try to enter after noon, so we don't have a problem using the GCH entrance if we're not staying there.

Dexter
02-12-2006, 09:04 PM
I had breakfast at Storytellers this morning with a fellow padder and we had to show the cast member either a recipet from Storytellers or a GCH room key. They haven't (at least the times I've done it) checked for said items in the afternoon/evening when I've gone through that particular entrance. So, given my experience I would conclude that it's a restriction that is enforced in the morning hours when DCA first opens to the public.

Matt Hamand
02-13-2006, 06:49 AM
The only time I've been checked was once when I tried to enter just after the park opened. I just stared at the CM like an idiot. I couldn't believe that he was checking for room keys. I know that the sign saying that only hotel guests are allowed to use that entrance has always been there but no one has ever checked before.

I was trying to get in that entrance because a CM at the main entrance wouldn't let me in because I had my Leatherman tool on my belt. I went to the other entrance and they wouldn't let me in either. So I pulled the LM off my belt, put it in my backpack, and went back to the main entrance.

Pat-n-Eil
02-13-2006, 09:07 AM
I've gone on the earlybird tour that they conduct at the Grand Californian Entrance to DCA if you show up about 15 minutes before the park opens. I was a guest at the Grand Californian at the time and they looked at room keys. I liked it not only for the tidbits of knowledge, but also because they give you the first ride of the day on the Soarin' Over California ride.

This time I am staying at the Disneyland Hotel.. do you know if they will still let me take the tour or if this is a perk only for GCH guests?

SuzanneSLO
02-13-2006, 09:14 AM
We entered about 10:15 yesterday and they checked our room key. We were staying at the DLH and had no problem. Another guest, who said he had just checked out to the GCH, had no room key. When asked, he could not remember what room he was in, and he was refused entrance. He was not a happy camper!