PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland curiosity due to MousePlanet threads

potzbie
02-10-2006, 10:44 PM
I'd call this a mini-trip report except that it is too small.

Ever since I read these MOUSEPLANET threads I have been put as my priority list two things:

1. Try the new menu items of Rancho del Zocalo.
2. Find and inspect the secret bathroom.

Today, Friday Feb. 10, 2006, I have achieved my dream!
Walt Disney had a dream.
Martin Luther King had a dream.
POTZBIE had a dream!

1. I ate at Rancho del Zocalo. I had the Citrus Fire-Grilled Chicken (1/4 chicken plus refried beans plus spanish rice). ($9.99) Not impressive. But I will try one of the two ENCHILADA plates before dismissing Racho Del Zocalo as a preferred dining establishment. Are you familiar with the free Crispitos for Annual Passholders? Tastes like crispy churros, but look likes sugar-coated Doritos. NOT recommended. Beverage was raspberry iced tea ($2.69). Dessert was the brown mouse ears, which the restaurant employee claimed was chocolate mousse. (Do you recall Utah Phillips's "Moose Turd Pie"? I did.). At $4.99, this is overpriced. When the 15% AP discount kicked in, I paid $16.18 for my meal. Sad deal. The same quantity of food at NORM'S or DENNY'S or CARROW'S would have been under $10.00.

2. I asked MORE THAN ONE employee at the Rancho Del Zocalo where the "nearest handicap bathroom" is, since few employees are reading MOUSEPLANET threads with the same intensity as Beer-Who-Is-Dark and Babe-Who-Tours (i.e., the regular posters). But one employee did give me satisfactory directions. The bathrom is hidden in that it is not visible except for a narrow viewing angle as one stands at the tunnel on the Carnation Plaza Gardens side. The landscaping prevents the average Carnation Plaza Gardens audience sitter from seeing the front of the door. It also is located near a CAST MEMBERS ONLY area, so it is deceptively located. But I did finally (!) satisfy my curiosity. No line to get in. I don't know why one poster considered it part of Rancho del Zocalo when its location ought to be considered in the Carnation Plaza Gardens area.

I was tempted to call over a princess and turn my detective work into a photo op. Where is BELLE when you need her?
Gosh. Since this is a mini-mini-mini report, I feel I ought to mention:
BILLY HILL AND THE HILLBILLIES put on a great show, as usual.
(Joke by Billy Bass: "Do you know why Tigger hops on his tail in the Hundred-Acre Wood? He doesn't want to step on Pooh.")
(Hillbilly stereotype joke: "If I divorce my wife, will she still be my sister?")
And I have MousePlanet and its endless threads to thank for this.
:(

stan4d_steph
02-11-2006, 07:19 AM
And I have MousePlanet and its endless threads to thank for this.Psst. It's MousePAD here. ;)

cstephens
02-11-2006, 08:40 AM
Are you familiar with the free Crispitos for Annual Passholders? Tastes like crispy churros, but look likes sugar-coated Doritos. NOT recommended.

It's a promotion that's being run only this February. I know a lot of people who like them, and I rather enjoy them myself.

CrazyTrain
02-11-2006, 11:28 AM
mmM, Crispitos!!!

I Heart Disneyland!
02-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Fun report and I couldn't agree more about Rancho's food. It's...eh. I remember it being either better, or maybe just more memories, when it was Casa Mexicana. Ah for the good ol days!

sambo
02-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Psst. It's MousePAD here. ;)
Hmmm... Hard to tell with that great big logo in the upper left that screams Mouse)Planet;)

Alex S.
02-11-2006, 05:43 PM
I'm happy regardless of whether you call this place MousePlanet or MousePad (though the latter is more specific and part of the former). Just keep coming back.

stan4d_steph
02-11-2006, 06:21 PM
Thanks for sharing your Rancho review. Sounds like the changed menu isn't too popular from the reviews people have posted here.

cfrith
02-11-2006, 06:45 PM
So, should we not even bother eating at Rancho (haven't been yet) when we go next?

I Heart Disneyland!
02-11-2006, 07:09 PM
So, should we not even bother eating at Rancho (haven't been yet) when we go next?

You can try it, we don't all have the same taste. :)

cstephens
02-11-2006, 10:49 PM

I would say that if you're going to be there long enough to have several meals there, then try it for a meal. If you're going to be there for a short time and have other places you want to try or return to, then skip Rancho for now.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
02-12-2006, 06:31 AM
It is such a shame that Rancho has changed their menu and not for the better. I really enjoyed eating there, and my kids did too. Hmm, might have to skip it this trip. Maybe if they get enough complaints, they will change it back.