PDA

View Full Version : Great way to Thank CMs

PrincessLeia
02-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Want an easy and creative way to thank CMs?

When I was in the park solo recently, I bought several of the Mickey "Thank You" pins for trading w/ CMs or thanking them for being extra-pleasant or helpful.

I traded the first Thank You pin w/ a CM at a DTD pin store who gave me the run-down on how the whole Pin Trading thing works since I was a pin newbie. She was delighted! So, I bought a few more, and traded them w/ nice cast members in the park and also gave one to my WIWF tour guide (not a trade, just a gift! :) ) They were all sincerely surprised and happy to get a "thank you" pin.

These pins are on the less-expensive end ($7 I think?) so it won't break the bank and may be easier than doing a formal "Thank You" at city hall. Also, they are easy to part w/ compared to other pins you may purchase.

Anyhoo, thought I'd share the idea. :p

Malcon10t
02-09-2006, 08:22 PM
Want an easy and creative way to thank CMs?

When I was in the park solo recently, I bought several of the Mickey "Thank You" pins for trading w/ CMs or thanking them for being extra-pleasant or helpful.

I traded the first Thank You pin w/ a CM at a DTD pin store who gave me the run-down on how the whole Pin Trading thing works since I was a pin newbie. She was delighted! So, I bought a few more, and traded them w/ nice cast members in the park and also gave one to my WIWF tour guide (not a trade, just a gift! :) ) They were all sincerely surprised and happy to get a "thank you" pin.

These pins are on the less-expensive end ($7 I think?) so it won't break the bank and may be easier than doing a formal "Thank You" at city hall. Also, they are easy to part w/ compared to other pins you may purchase.

Anyhoo, thought I'd share the idea. :pJust so you know, the pins they have are not theirs. So, when you trade, you give them a pin which will be turned into casting to be regenerated to the next CM. They check out the lanyard with X number of pins, and must check it in with the same number of pins. So, the pin is not a personal item.

I know quite a few CMs, and quite honestly, when you want to thank them, the note at City Hall goes to their supervisors. If you wish to gift them, do something other than Disney. They have better access to the good stuff than we do. I thank certain CMs who are overly helpful to me. Generally, its a gift of something that is special from my area. And incredible chocolates are always welcome!

PrincessLeia
02-09-2006, 08:32 PM
Just so you know, the pins they have are not theirs. So, when you trade, you give them a pin which will be turned into casting to be regenerated to the next CM. They check out the lanyard with X number of pins, and must check it in with the same number of pins. So, the pin is not a personal item.

I know quite a few CMs, and quite honestly, when you want to thank them, the note at City Hall goes to their supervisors. If you wish to gift them, do something other than Disney. They have better access to the good stuff than we do. I thank certain CMs who are overly helpful to me. Generally, its a gift of something that is special from my area. And incredible chocolates are always welcome!
That's good to know that they don't get to keep the pins. So, what if I give them as a gift, not as a trade? And yes, I am always good about "Please" and "thank yous". I Probably would not bring or send "gifts from home"...too lazy! (or I would eat the chocolate) ;)

IMHO I think the Mickey Thank you pins are nice and I will use them again, maybe not as a trade but as a gift! I think Disney or not, it's the thank you sentiment that counts.

MsYumiBr
02-09-2006, 09:21 PM
What if you are from SoCal? What special about the area can I bring? I won't be going out of the area until April but we will be going to the park in a little over a week and I really want to do nice things for the CMs. I send compliments and write down names so I can fill out the cards but any ideas on non-Disney stuff you were talking about? Gift certificate from iTunes?

Niwel
02-09-2006, 09:49 PM
Also, feel free to send your stories to Cast Place at castplace@mouseplanet.com so all our readers will know about the wonderful CM who made your trip so magical! :)

cstephens
02-09-2006, 11:28 PM
So, what if I give them as a gift, not as a trade?.

I believe there are rules about CMs accepting gifts from guests. Someone posted that they have to refuse, but if the guest insists three times, they can then accept. Don't know if that's true or not. Maybe someone who actually knows the rule can help.

yellowrosedtxn
02-10-2006, 04:55 AM
I'm sure that the CM's didn't keep them, but we gave them anyway. Before I left for our trip last year, I found (on another site) a "thank you" card that you could basically print out and give to people. What I did was made my own, with my own sayings on them. They are business card size. I put different pictures of characters on each card, like Cinderella, Snow White, Mickey/Minnie. Then you put something that is related to that character in the card like: (This would go on Sleeping Beauty's card).
Someone so wonderful only
comes along once Upon
Dream
From the South Texas Chase Family
Jun 2006

doodlebug
02-10-2006, 04:58 AM
I wrote a letter one time when I got home for a wonderful, wonderful CM that made my son's day when we couldn't find Peter Pan anywhere and I later found out that my letter was printed in the CM newsletter (and was able to get a copy of it from a nice online person that was a CM). So will definately be keeping track of the wonderful CM's this trip again.. When you want to make the compliment while still at the park do you go to City Hall to do this? Do you know if you can do it at DLH too?

hbquikcomjamesl
02-10-2006, 09:30 AM
Then there's always the WWWD pins.

DCACM
02-10-2006, 09:46 AM
Reciving a git can sometimes be embarrassing or uncomfortable, after all, I am just doing what's expected of me. We are allowed to accept gifts within reason, so long as the monetary value is low (such as a thank you pin), and that the gift is not a bribe.

There is a couple that visits the resort every holiday season. They have buttons made for each visit that say something like "Smith Vacation 2006, thank you for making our trip magical", and they give them to CMs they feel go above and beyond. I know the cast is always grateful when they recieve these buttons.

There used to be those "What Would Walt Do" pins...haven't heard mention of them in ages...not since Cynthia Harriss was around.

Often times guests will take pictures with us and once in a while they'll send us copies and thank you notes, which is nice, because many times we've shared those happy memories and appreciate the keepsake.

A note left a City Hall is the most appreciated as it is seen by managment and peers, it's validating. I am always impressed when a guest takes time out of their day to write a compliment.

littlelisalovesmm
02-10-2006, 10:05 AM
Wow! I have to say I did not know you could do that. I wish that I would have known when we were there in December. We had a wonderful experience with a CM and had I known, I would have taken time out to stop at City Hall.

So I shall remember it for this weekends trip.

KDR
02-10-2006, 10:16 AM
Wow! I have to say I did not know you could do that. I wish that I would have known when we were there in December. We had a wonderful experience with a CM and had I known, I would have taken time out to stop at City Hall.

So I shall remember it for this weekends trip.

I am of the understanding that the absolute best thing you can do is write an actual letter -- not an email or a note at City Hall, but a letter on paper sent through the US Mail -- after you arrive home. This shows that the CM has made a significant and lasting impact on your memory of Disneyland.

yellowrosedtxn
02-10-2006, 10:26 AM
What address do you send it too? I can find the hotel address, but if I were to send an actual letter, where would it go? (preparing for my next trip!)

Malcon10t
02-10-2006, 10:27 AM
I am of the understanding that the absolute best thing you can do is write an actual letter -- not an email or a note at City Hall, but a letter on paper sent through the US Mail -- after you arrive home. This shows that the CM has made a significant and lasting impact on your memory of Disneyland.I do this for most trips. I enjoy doing it and usually get a very nice reply letter back. In July it was for a CM working the exit of Splash Mountain. She went above and beyond assisting us and I wanted to make sure her management knew what an asset they had!

doodlebug
02-10-2006, 10:48 AM
When I did my letter I too received a nice response to my letter and I had included some pictures that we took with the CM in hopes they would be able to give them to him!!!! That trip was about 4 years ago but my son still remembers that moment!! :) :) and he is 8 now!!!

I plan on taking down names and locations & times this time around so that I can let them know when they have given me some extra magic!!

KDR
02-10-2006, 11:10 AM
What address do you send it too? I can find the hotel address, but if I were to send an actual letter, where would it go? (preparing for my next trip!)

Well, hmmm, what's a great resource for finding information on Disneyland...? How about MousePlanet! Here's a link to the contact section of the Disneyland Information Guide (http://www.mouseplanet.com/al/docs/phones.htm) here on MousePlanet. It's down at the bottom -- Guest Communications.

yellowrosedtxn
02-10-2006, 11:31 AM
Well, hmmm, what's a great resource for finding information on Disneyland...? How about MousePlanet! Here's a link to the contact section of the Disneyland Information Guide (http://www.mouseplanet.com/al/docs/phones.htm) here on MousePlanet. It's down at the bottom -- Guest Communications.

Thank you. I just didn't even know where to begin to look.

hbquikcomjamesl
02-10-2006, 11:50 AM
There used to be those "What Would Walt Do" pins...haven't heard mention of them in ages...not since Cynthia Harriss was around.WWWD pins are still around. The vendor, an outfit called "Founder's Legacy," (http://whatwouldwaltdo.com/) had some hacker trouble about a year and a half ago, but they're still around.

I have in my possession three pins from an extremely rare "production error" batch (the red-white-and-blue version, except that the manufacturing contractor goofed and used black enamel instead of white) that I bought some time ago, but, well, the only times I've had a reason to bestow one were when I'd forgotten to take any with me! Oops!

Some time ago (in fact, it was shortly before I bought the pins), the CMs at the Blue Bayou honored my dinner reservation half an hour late, several minutes after the restaurant was, at least technically, closed for the evening, after I was stuck in a traffic jam in the Plaza Hub. On my way out that evening, I stopped by City Hall, and filed a compliment for the entire Bayou staff in general, and in particular for the chef, my waiter, and the maitre d'. I did the same on another occasion at DCA, when the Soarin' CMs on duty assisted me in retrieving my umbrella.

my2lalas
02-10-2006, 11:50 AM
Do you have to have the name of a CM? I know the date/time, but can't remember her name. I assume you can write about hotel CM's, not just park CMs. Thanks for the help, it's nice to give an extra kudos to those who make our trip extra magical.

Malcon10t
02-10-2006, 11:58 AM
Do you have to have the name of a CM? I know the date/time, but can't remember her name. I assume you can write about hotel CM's, not just park CMs. Thanks for the help, it's nice to give an extra kudos to those who make our trip extra magical.Its better if you have the name, but if you have the time and the description of the employee, and where it took place, they can probably figure it out from schedules. Remember, they rotate often so you need to be able to pinpoint time if you don't have a name.

markarkaymat
02-10-2006, 12:33 PM
And incredible chocolates are always welcome!
I do chocolate covered macadamia nuts or just plain mac nuts. Then I use those craft punches and punch out a Mickey and write thanks on it (I use sticker paper) and stick it to the package. They've been a hit with all the helpful people we've encountered. I haven't done the letter back to them but will this upcoming trip.

Burnt Toast
02-10-2006, 02:39 PM
I do chocolate covered macadamia nuts or just plain mac nuts. Then I use those craft punches and punch out a Mickey and write thanks on it (I use sticker paper) and stick it to the package. They've been a hit with all the helpful people we've encountered. I haven't done the letter back to them but will this upcoming trip.

I've gotten chocolate covered macadamia nuts and a thank you letter from a Guest who was from Hawaii... who called me for like a week during the graveyard hours when I worked at the Front Desk about all sorts of stuff on their reservation. I thought it was a nice gesture and I shared them with the crew and took the rest home for my mom.

I'm not a huge fan of any type of nuts but it was a very nice and appreciated gesture on the Guest's part, especially at that time I was going through a very trying time at work... but I was just simply doing my job (I had actually gotten two more Guest letters that same week). Like I've been saying, not all Cast Member have completely lost the magic like ToursbabeC3po makes it out to be... all people have to do is open their eyes a little to see that there are plenty of CMs that still care and value the magic. Eh, I bet it's her constant negative attitude (based on most all of her posts that I've seen) just rubs off on everyone around her... and believe me, I used to be that exact same way myself.

I never did get to meet the lady and her family that had kept me company all those lonely graveyard nights (we don't get many Guest calls at 3am in the morning). I did sent up some milk and Mickey Mouse cookies on the last night of her stay though. Haha.

-----

Anyways, back on topic... a letter is great, it means more to a Cast Member like myself to get a letter (not saying that a comment at City Hall isn't nice, that's definately nice too) because you realize that someone took time out of their busy day after their vacation has ended to write about you. I would definately write a letter... it's just a very nice gesture to do for someone who has made your day.