PDA

View Full Version : monorail

PeoplemoverMisser
02-09-2006, 05:58 PM
How does "shuttle mode" work. The weekly update says 2 trains can run at a time - how? Did they build a parallel track since my last visit?:confused:

hbquikcomjamesl
02-09-2006, 06:17 PM
Assuming "shuttle mode" involves strict one-way-trip operation, and further assuming that it involves putting a second cab in the tail-end (or otherwise running the trains tail-first half the time), they would be able to run one train on the portion of the loop that normally runs from TL to DTD, and the other on the portion that normally runs fromDTD to TL.

Darkbeer
02-09-2006, 06:42 PM
Here is something I posted here in late November with a few edits....

OK, let's describe the Standard ruuning of the Monorail.

Leg 1 is from Tomorrowland Station, to Downtown Disney, going thru DCA.

Leg 2 is from Downtown Disney to Tomorrowland, going over the Disneyland Main Entrance area, and then to the Sub Lagoon and Autopia area, then around the Matterhorn to the station.

What will happen is that the area above the Sub Lagoon cannot be able to be accessed, due to the construction (for safety reason). (They need to turn off the electricity to the power rail on certain sections of the track)

What has happen is that Leg 2 will not be used.

Here is how the two train operation works.

The first train will come out of the Barn (next to it's a small world) and go around the Matterhorn to the Tomorrowland Station. Then the Second Train will also exit the barn, and then park just before the Monorail.

They can load the first train (let's call it Purple) at the Station, and then send it to the Downtown Disney Station, where it would unload, and then go forward to about the edge of Disneyland (shortly past the station).

At the same time, the Second Train (call it Blue) would enter the Tomorrowland Station for loading. After it was loaded, it would be dispatched to go thru DCA. If Purple had not yet left the Tomorrowland station, then it would wait for Purple to go forward by stoping near the entry into the Grand Californian Hotel. Once Purple has left the station (empty), then Blue would pull into the DtD Station to unload.

Then Blue would be loaded, then dispatched to run backwards (a CM will be sitting in the tail cone, which has a phone to the cockpit to be the drivers "eyes", plus a special Emergency Stop button) back thru DCA to the Tomorrowland Station where it would unload.

When Blue has left the DtD station, Purple would pull back into the DtD station from the advance area where it parked, to allow Blue to access the station. It would Load passengers and then be dispatched to run backwards thru DCA, and would hold at the edge of Harbor until Blue has pulled forward to the Matterhorn area and cleared the station.

Purple would then enter the Tomorrowland station and unload, then load and the process would repeat for the rest of the day.

If one train goes down due to mechanical/safety issues, then we would have a wait and a procedure.

Let's say Purple goes down, and needs a tow somewhere near the DtD station. Blue would have to return to Tomorrowland Station (backwards), unload, then continue backwards past the Matterhorn and the Barn (switch track) and head to an area basically near the Tomorrowland RR station.

Then the Tractor would be pulled out of the barn, brought onto the track, sent to Purple, where it would be attached to the Monorail. Then it would bring Purple back to Tomorrowland Station for unloading, then to the barn for repairs. Once it is in the Barn, then Blue could go forward to the Tomorrowland Station.

One train operation would be easier (and based on my info, will be the standard mode of operation for most days thru Labor Day). The Train would go to Tomorrowland for loading, sent thru DCA to the DtD Station, where everyone would have to get off the Monorail (if the guests wanted to return without leaving the park, they would just go down the stairs and make a U-turn to the queue before exiting the turnstiles and get back in line). Then the Train would load and go backwards thru DCA to Tomorrowland, where the process would repeat.

Requiring all guests to exit at the DtD station will allow those folks entering the park from the DtD Turnstiles not to have to wait a long time to get onto the Monorail.

So basically the portion over the Sub Lagoon and the Autopia will not be used.

Also, Disney has sent a memo to Travel Agents advising that the Monorail could be limited to Disney Hotel guests for the first few and last few hours of the day.

PeoplemoverMisser
02-09-2006, 10:16 PM
One train operation would be easier (and based on my info, will be the standard mode of operation for most days thru Labor Day). The Train would go to Tomorrowland for loading, sent thru DCA to the DtD Station, where everyone would have to get off the Monorail (if the guests wanted to return without leaving the park, they would just go down the stairs and make a U-turn to the queue before exiting the turnstiles and get back in line). Then the Train would load and go backwards thru DCA to Tomorrowland, where the process would repeat.
Running two trains seems unneccessarily complicated and inefficient. Like they're trying to meet a quota of having 2 trains running, or something.

Darkbeer
02-09-2006, 11:06 PM
They ran two trains quite often during the DCA construction. Though they used Leg 2, which is longer than Leg 1, so the loading time was not as noticeable.

They will run two trains if they feel that it will increase capacity and help to reduce long lines. Their other option is to limit the folks who ride to just Disney Hotel Guests, which they have stated they plan to do during busy times.

PeoplemoverMisser
02-09-2006, 11:20 PM
They ran two trains quite often during the DCA construction. Though they used Leg 2, which is longer than Leg 1, so the loading time was not as noticeable.

They will run two trains if they feel that it will increase capacity and help to reduce long lines. Their other option is to limit the folks who ride to just Disney Hotel Guests, which they have stated they plan to do during busy times.
I take you at your word that they feel it increases capacity, and maybe there's something I just won't understand until I see it in person (in less than 10 weeks) If the most guests that can be in-transit at any given time is 1 trainload, how can that be speeded up by increasing traffic?

Is it primarily to allow the driver to move from one end to the other?

Darkbeer
02-09-2006, 11:58 PM
I take you at your word that they feel it increases capacity, and maybe there's something I just won't understand until I see it in person (in less than 10 weeks) If the most guests that can be in-transit at any given time is 1 trainload, how can that be speeded up by increasing traffic?

Is it primarily to allow the driver to move from one end to the other?

Actually, both trains can be transit at once, if the first train is finish loading, it can start towards the other station, and while in transit, the second train can be loading. And while the second train is moving, the first train can be unloading. One possible plan, loading both trains at DtD in the morning hours, but send back one train empty from Tomorrowland, which usually doesn't have many guests in line the first few hours the park is open. This will definitely help in the loading process.

And actually the DCA leg of the Monorail can have two trains running at the same time. There are multiple "segments" of the rail, and while the rules do not allow two trains in the same segment, many times a Monorail has been on the leg, and then stopped shortly before the station due to a longer than normal loading time for the train in front of it.

It has nothing to do with the movement of the drivers, two CM's will be in all trains at all times while in shuttle mode.

PeoplemoverMisser
02-12-2006, 07:50 PM
On about the 50th reading, it seems to click - there is less down time where nobody is actually in transit, and the second train can be loaded without causing the whole system to be motionless.

Somehow I envisioned a trainload of passengers sitting, waiting, loaded & ready to go, but just beyond the edge of the platform - that would have been stupid.

Thank you for straightening it out.