PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone watch the ABC news this morning? [DL hotels go nonsmoking]

Pages : [1] 2 3

mckygirl99
02-09-2006, 06:32 AM
Did anyone see the ABC news this morning? They mentioned something about Disneyland and showed a brief video of Autopia and mentioned changes?? I tried to wait around to hear what was happening but I had to leave for work.

Thanks!

KDR
02-09-2006, 06:48 AM
On CBS they showed Disneyland and mentioned that all the Disney hotels there would soon be completely non-smoking. They said that Disney was not the first to do this as the entire Westin chain had already done this. They also said there were no plans announced to do this at Walt Disney World.

I'm guessing that's pretty much what was shown on ABC, as well.

dlandnut
02-09-2006, 07:17 AM
On Fox News last night they reported that the Disneyland Park would be non-smoking, effective March 1st. :)

02-09-2006, 07:49 AM
all the Disney hotels there would soon be completely non-smoking.

Thanks, Disney.

ralfrick
02-09-2006, 09:25 AM
On Fox News last night they reported that the Disneyland Park would be non-smoking, effective March 1st. :)
Wow, Fox News getting the facts wrong, who'd have ever thunk it?

Cheers.

Bolivar
02-09-2006, 09:29 AM
A couple of years ago we stayed at the GCH, in a non-smoking room, but when we walked in it reeked of cigarettes. It was so bad that I couldn't stay in the room. I immediately opened the doors and stepped onto the balcony and there was a pile of butts there. It had a lovely balcony with a wonderful view of the park, but there was no way we could stay in that room. We were moved to a room with no view, no balcony and no bunk beds which the other one had. I was disappointed.

My point is just that they can make it non-smoking, but enforcing that is a whole 'nother issue.

mckygirl99
02-09-2006, 10:46 AM
Thanks everyone! I think that is so great! I hate the smoking sections at Disneyland b/c the smoke still carries over and my daughter has bad allergies and I have asthma. This is just wonderful!

animalx
02-09-2006, 10:49 AM
That's good news. Disneyland is for the young and young at heart. Smoking doesn't reflect that image at all.. Good for them !!!!:)

Wesley815
02-09-2006, 11:11 AM
Thanks everyone! I think that is so great! I hate the smoking sections at Disneyland b/c the smoke still carries over and my daughter has bad allergies and I have asthma. This is just wonderful!Re-read the message thread... Disneyland PARK still will allow smoking (just like how it is now in certain areas), Disneyland HOTELS (all 3) are becoming non-smoking except for certain areas outside of the rooms.

olegc
02-09-2006, 11:17 AM
I am glad they are going this route but I have SERIOUS doubts about enforcement. How many languages can you say no smoking in? Also - I wonder if it's enforceable in the park - even though you pay to get in, there is probably some precendent about smoking outdoors and providing some place to smoke.

They may be able to make the rules on the hotel - but I would hate to be the Hm or Tom Sawyer Island CM to walk up to someone over there along the river (the most popular smoking section) and tell everyone to get out and put out the cigs.. what are you going to do - forcefully kick someone out?

Wesley815
02-09-2006, 12:38 PM
They may be able to make the rules on the hotel - but I would hate to be the Hm or Tom Sawyer Island CM to walk up to someone over there along the river (the most popular smoking section) and tell everyone to get out and put out the cigs.. what are you going to do - forcefully kick someone out?That's why they have certain smoking sections in the park, that is not changing... so there's really nothing to worry about.

But it IS up to Disney... if they don't want you to smoke, it's private property and they make the rules. Security could make you leave the park if you don't follow them.

Opus1guy
02-09-2006, 12:50 PM
I am glad they are going this route but I have SERIOUS doubts about enforcement. How many languages can you say no smoking in?

That of course is always the challenge in any policy situation.

I stay at a lot at Westins (the first major chain to do this) and they changed their check-in document that you must sign to state that if you violate the policy and smoke in your room that you will be charged a $500 cleaning fee and may be evicted. I have been told that they have successfully exercised this penalty against several guests at various properties. Violations are usually reported by the maids and the room removed from inventory and throughly cleaned, before the next guest occupies it.

But there's always going to be those that continue to smoke in the rooms, no matter what reason (oblivious to the rule, language, they just want to, etc).

The main point is deterrent. The vast majority of smoking guests will obey the new policy and not smoke at the hotel. That's the real target here. They'll never get perfect 100% compliance. But they'll now come close.

mckygirl99
02-09-2006, 01:12 PM
Re-read the message thread... Disneyland PARK still will allow smoking (just like how it is now in certain areas), Disneyland HOTELS (all 3) are becoming non-smoking except for certain areas outside of the rooms.

Sorry...just wishful thinking! :p

Too bad this isn't yet happening in Orlando. We booked a non-smoking room and the people next door went outside to smoke, right next to our door. It might as well been a smoking room after they were done. It guess it's b/c you still smoke in public establishments in FL.

Opus1guy
02-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Too bad this isn't yet happening in Orlando

Actually it has! At the Walt Disney World Swan (http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/search/hotel_detail.html?propertyID=1018). Which just happens to also be a Westin Hotel (the first major chain to institute an all no-smoking policy). From their web site:

As of January 24, 2006, the Walt Disney World Swan will be 100% non-smoking. Please contact the resort for further information.

:)

Burnt Toast
02-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Also, if you get caught smoking in the room (by Housekeeping, Security, etc. etc.), even on the balconies, there is a $250 room cleaning fee charged to your room account. It's part of the spiel for check-in and when you sign that registration card, you also sign an agreement not to smoke in the room otherwise you will accept the $250 charge.

Also, once the policy change goes into effect... the current smoking rooms will go off-the-market and be cleaned (probably stuff gets replaced and the like). So it's not like the day before it's smoking and then the next day it's non-smoking from now on.

At least on the Disneyland Hotel side, no smoking floor is a good thing because one of the high-end named Imperial Suites (the Ambassador) is on that floor. That whole floor will probably be off-limits... because just getting out of the elevator on that floor will hit you with the smell of cigarettes.

Burnt Toast
02-09-2006, 01:32 PM
Actually it has! At the Walt Disney World Swan (http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/search/hotel_detail.html?propertyID=1018).

FYI, it's called the Walt Disney World Fowl. The other one is the Fish. Please get it right. 8:)

kranders
02-09-2006, 01:38 PM
I stay at a lot at Westins (the first major chain to do this) and they changed their check-in document that you must sign to state that if you violate the policy and smoke in your room that you will be charged a $500 cleaning fee and may be evicted. I have been told that they have successfully exercised this penalty against several guests at various properties. Violations are usually reported by the maids and the room removed from inventory and throughly cleaned, before the next guest occupies it.

They do this at Disney's Grand Californian, too. You have to sign a release when registering. This hotel is already totally non-smoking.

Opus1guy
02-09-2006, 01:56 PM
The other one is the Fish. Please get it right. 8:)

I have always called it the Carp.

;)

Mark Goldhaber
02-09-2006, 05:40 PM

;)
Actually, if you want to be correct, it's Mahi-Mahi. :p

AVP
02-09-2006, 05:44 PM

;)Individually we refer to them as the Goose and Tuna, but collectively they are the Swolphin.

AVP

ToursbabeC3po
02-09-2006, 05:55 PM
Can you still smoke on your balcony? I am a non smoker and I have a real problem with smoke fumes but I also think that people that smoke should have a place to smoke.

Opus1guy
02-09-2006, 06:18 PM
Can you still smoke on your balcony? I am a non smoker and I have a real problem with smoke fumes but I also think that people that smoke should have a place to smoke.

Nope. My understanding is that smoking is prohibited on the entire hotel grounds except in specifically designated smoking areas.

At the Grand Californian for example, the only one I know of is the small patio to the right of the bar at Napa Rose. They sell cigars at the bar. There is a nice fire ring on that patio, and several tables and chairs. Cigar smokers go out there and enjoy a slow smoke with a glass of Port or whatever. Cigarette smokers go out and in like a revolving door...out there for a "quickie."

mi_mous
02-09-2006, 07:04 PM
Thanks, Disney.

I'll second that!!

Drince88
02-10-2006, 03:22 AM
Actually, if you want to be correct, it's Mahi-Mahi. :p
Don't tell that to a submariner!

(Just like pilots earn wings when they qualify for their position, submariners in the U.S. Navy earn dolphins - and they look like the ones outside the hotel, not 'Flipper')

Bolivar
02-10-2006, 09:37 AM
The story I told in post 6 where we moved from a fantastic room to a not nearly as good room because of the smell, the hotel kept saying that they would just come up and spray the room. I protested saying I didn't want the smell of cigarettes mixed with the smell of flowers, they said that they had this special spray that doesn't cover the smell, it gets rid of it. They said they have to use it all the time and by the time guests check in they never know the previous person was smoking.

I was doubtful, took the worse room and always wished I had given it a try (the view of the park was amazing before we moved). But it left me with the impression that people smoking in the room is not uncommon at the GCH.