PDA

View Full Version : First meal at DLR

cfrith
02-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Where do you think we should go for our very first meal when we arrive at DLR. Keep in mind we will be surprising our dd's ages 4 and 7 when they wake up that morning. I'm thinking a character meal would be a great way to start the trip. It will be a Sunday afternoon and I'm thinking we'll be hungry from our long day of traveling.

Also, where would be a great place for dh's 29th birthday dinner the next day?

Thanks!

Hakuna Makarla
02-08-2006, 12:56 PM
I would do a carecter breakfast!! that would be awsome and you could celebrate the birthday there to! we plan on doing storytellers, chip and dales. The reviews are awsome and the food looks great. HAve a wonderful trip!!

kohl
02-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Storyteller's does have yummy food, but I think the kids would enjoy Goofy's Kitchen more with all the characters. Goofy's is in the Disneyland Hotel. If you want a place to eat in the park, I think they have the Minnie and Friends breakfast at the Plaza Inn.

littlelisalovesmm
02-08-2006, 01:37 PM
For the 29th Birthday, go to the Blue Bayou. I did this for my 30th and it was a lot of fun. Remember to call Disney Dining ahead and get your reservations. You might consider doing lunch instead of dinner, as the dinner menu is pretty spendy and I found the food to be mediocre for dinner at best. Lunch was another story. I highly recommend the Monte Cristo Sandwich.

FMTX
02-08-2006, 01:44 PM
For the 29th Birthday, go to the Blue Bayou. I did this for my 30th and it was a lot of fun. Remember to call Disney Dining ahead and get your reservations. You might consider doing lunch instead of dinner, as the dinner menu is pretty spendy and I found the food to be mediocre for dinner at best. Lunch was another story. I highly recommend the Monte Cristo Sandwich.

Definitely ditto this. I agree with everything littlelisalovesmm says here. Also I like breakfast at the River Belle Terrace. Mickey pancakes outside as Walt use to do is kind of cool, but with kids I think the Minnie's Character Breakfast at Plaza Inn in the park (DL) is a good idea for first meal although any extended meal in the morning takes away valuable morning ride time. We did late morning breakfast here to maximize ride time see this thread. http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=53174.

bekky
02-08-2006, 02:18 PM
Hi Cfrith.

were planning on doing a character breakfast BEFORE we enter the park the first morning.

I know that once we get through the gates at the park there are always characters waiting BUT there are also 2000 other kids running up to them at the same time !!

So this way I figured it would be a nice chance for the kiddies to get a start on their "character fix" before we even get into disneyland.

Also, we're going to Goofys kitchen BUT we arent telling the kids thats what its called ... we're just going to let them think that they have to go have a regular boring breakfast that morning & then we'll tell them that a "special chef" cooks the food at this restaurant - that its a surprise

& then I CANT WAIT to see the surprised looks on their 4 little faces when there are characters at breakfast !!! :fez:

tod
02-08-2006, 02:36 PM
I'd say take 'em to Goofy's. If you take then into the Park they probably won't want to sit around eating.

Blue Bayou may be best for the birthday dinner. As good as Vineyard Room and Napa Rose are, they are gourmet restaurants plunked into a theme park. Blue Bayou hits just the right balance between good-food and theme-park. Especially if you sit by the water. And watch the boats go by.

And occasionally get heckled by Jerky Guests. I remember one, on a Pirates boat, who told his three-year-old to yell "How's your quiet dinner?" at the people in the Blue Bayou. The kid yelled "OWZ YORE QWYTE DEE-NAH" which didn't have the same impact.

--t

bekky
02-08-2006, 02:55 PM
As good as Vineyard Room and Napa Rose are, they are gourmet restaurants plunked into a theme park.

AND ... they serve WINE !!! :p ( best thing about california adventure ... hahaha )

cfrith
02-08-2006, 07:41 PM
Unfortunately Blue Bayou will be closed when we are there the last week of April...

Thank you for all the great suggestions!

pisces
02-08-2006, 07:43 PM
My very first meal ever, at Disneyland was in 2004, at Storytellers Brunch.

When I was a kid, we'd never eat at the Park, ever. We'd always pic-nic and bring our food.

So, now that I control things, I eat all meals at the Park.

But, I would be comfortable bringing food in, from home, if I had to. We did it for many years.

Actually we never ate at the Park because we liked Charlie Brown's on State College. (sniffle)