PDA

View Full Version : Places to stay between Oregon and Disneyland?

keschy
02-08-2006, 11:41 AM
We are driving down for the first weekend in March. Usually we do the drive in one day but we want to break it up this time. We'll be taking the 5 and I'm looking for nice places to stay that are under $100. 1 night on the way there and back. Any ideas? Thanks!

theprincesses
02-08-2006, 11:56 AM
My mom lives in Grants Pass so on trips between Oregon and OC we stop at the Holiday Inn Express in Santa Nella. You can usually find coupons in those travel guides that you pick up at say Burger King. The rooms are under $100 and they have free continental breakfast. The best part is that you are only about 4 hours from your destination(when traveling south).

theprincesses
02-08-2006, 12:00 PM
Should have added that on your return trip, there is a Best Western right off the 5 in Woodland. It is on East Street. There is a Denny's across the parking lot and a gas station so you can gas up before getting back on the road.

Malcon10t
02-08-2006, 12:19 PM
We are driving down for the first weekend in March. Usually we do the drive in one day but we want to break it up this time. We'll be taking the 5 and I'm looking for nice places to stay that are under $100. 1 night on the way there and back. Any ideas? Thanks!I second Santa Nella. Easy on and off, food is decent, and the place is clean. Coming back, you might want to make it up thru Sacramento before stopping (about 7-8 hours.)

T-RAT
02-08-2006, 12:54 PM
It depends on where you are driving from in Oregon. We drove down at the end of November from the Portland area, and stopped at the Best Western Sandman Motel in Sacramento. It was a nice hotel, less than $100.00 a night, and the best free breakfast we've ever had at a hotel. They had fresh waffles, hard boiled eggs, yogurts, and the regular continental items like cereal, toast, danishes, bagels, fruit, etc. We left around 7:00 am and were in Anaheim around 2:00. My parents like to stay in Santa Nella when they are leaving from the Grants Pass area. Hope this helps!

littlelisalovesmm
02-08-2006, 01:32 PM
I stayed at the Best Western Sandman as well. We were driving from Salem, Oregon. I think the Sacramento stop is about 1/2 way so it was logically the best.

keschy
02-08-2006, 01:44 PM
It depends on where you are driving from in Oregon. We drove down at the end of November from the Portland area, and stopped at the Best Western Sandman Motel in Sacramento. It was a nice hotel, less than $100.00 a night, and the best free breakfast we've ever had at a hotel. They had fresh waffles, hard boiled eggs, yogurts, and the regular continental items like cereal, toast, danishes, bagels, fruit, etc. We left around 7:00 am and were in Anaheim around 2:00. My parents like to stay in Santa Nella when they are leaving from the Grants Pass area. Hope this helps!

We will be leaving from Portland. Thanks for the hotel ideas!

PJTinkerbell
02-08-2006, 02:04 PM
We have driven down from Portland a few times. We like to stay around Stockton. There are several hotels/motels right in Stockton off the freeway. It's a place to lay your head. It's a easy drive the next day to DL. There is also a Krispy Kreme right there in Stockton and our kids love to stop there. Since we live a little south of Portland, there are no KK handy.

Hope this helps!

hlbtimes2
02-08-2006, 02:23 PM
No real hotel advise, but- stop at Tahoe Joes for a meal if you pass one. Great food.

kkmickey
02-08-2006, 03:07 PM
Bring your chains! We went during the middle of April once, and the pass was snowy.

Where you stay depends on where you're coming from and what time you're leaving - and what time you want to stop! Exitinfo.com (I think the site is still running) sometimes has really good printable coupons, but they are usually for walk-ins only. Sometimes other hotels will match the rate.

If you have AAA, I would look at a map, figure out what time you want to stop, and see which cities are close by. If you're just sleeping and then moving on in the morning, the hotel doesn't have to be a 4 star, but I wouldn't stay in anything less than a 2 diamond (AAA rating). If you can get a hotel with a free breakfast buffet, even better!

ucube
02-08-2006, 06:54 PM
Of course, San Francisco (if it's on the way).
There are lots of good hotel deals there these days, so I bet you could do it for that price. And it's a great place to visit.

r-we-there-yet
02-08-2006, 06:55 PM
I live in Bend,OR, and I am taking the plane next time!! After driving straight thru the last 6 times, I am tired of it. Oh brother!!! With three hyperventalating kids and an irratated wife, I need a break. It's gonna cost me $1015 in plane tickets, but I don't really care!! My suggestion, don't do it. Go to Travelocity, they have the deal of the moment.

Pat-n-Eil
02-08-2006, 10:23 PM
Of course, San Francisco (if it's on the way).
There are lots of good hotel deals there these days, so I bet you could do it for that price. And it's a great place to visit.

I'm assuming that they will be traveling down I-5. San Francisco is a pretty healthy detour. Besides, San Francisco isn't a place to just stop for the night, it probably deserves at least a day to itself. :)

I like the food at Santa Nella, but I've never stayed there. I'd think Sacramento would be a good choice if you're tired or wait until Stockton if you have another hour in you..

Kat in WA
02-09-2006, 05:23 AM
SSSHHH! I've got an even better place to stay on the drive down...Paterson, CA! It's about 60 miles before Santa Nella. Our family always drives (yearly) from Eastern Washington, and we push 13 hours one day and stay at the Best Western Villa Del Lago in Paterson. It is about $62 a night, has a swimming pool, continental breakfast (waffles), and fast food/Starbucks across the street. It is easy on and off I-5, and the motel itself reminds us of an Embassy Suites interior with the huge lobby that you can look down upon. SSSHHH! Don't tell anyone!

ralfrick
02-09-2006, 07:59 AM
Although you may want something closer to the half way point, this is a fun place to stay, especially if you have kids. It's in Dunsmuir, north of Redding, and called the Caboose Motel-Railroad Park Resort. According to the current AAA tourbook, the rates top out at $115. The twist? All of the rooms are actually old railroad cabooses that have been converted to hotel rooms. The AC was working overtime when we were there in July, but should be more pleasant in March.

Cheers.

Malcon10t
02-09-2006, 11:58 AM
I'm assuming that they will be traveling down I-5. San Francisco is a pretty healthy detour. Besides, San Francisco isn't a place to just stop for the night, it probably deserves at least a day to itself. :)

I like the food at Santa Nella, but I've never stayed there. I'd think Sacramento would be a good choice if you're tired or wait until Stockton if you have another hour in you..Stockton to Sacramento is only 30 minutes! (At least down 99...)

Pascomom
02-12-2006, 07:47 PM
We are from Eastern Wa also, we drive 1st to Shilo Inn in Klamath - great place, very nice pool, then to Sacramtento, then on to Disney.

One year we drove from E. Wa to Corning, CA. There was a very nice Shilo Inn with pool w/palm trees (reminded us of an oasis) and continental breakfast, nice rooms. I believe it has changed names though. Corning is just about half way.