PDA

View Full Version : Crowds This Weekend Feb 11-13

littlelisalovesmm
02-08-2006, 07:10 AM
So we are headed down there this weekend for a quick trip from Oregon. Couldn't resist the kids fly and play free deal.

Anyway, what should I expect for this weekend? Any ideas. I have heard that because of the 50th Anniversary it has been a lot more crowded than past years.

We were down there the first part of December for a quick weekend trip, when it supposedly was before the Christmas "Rush" and it was more miserable than when I was there during the height of June.

What do you all think?

Darkbeer
02-08-2006, 07:28 AM
So we are headed down there this weekend for a quick trip from Oregon. Couldn't resist the kids fly and play free deal.

Anyway, what should I expect for this weekend? Any ideas. I have heard that because of the 50th Anniversary it has been a lot more crowded than past years.

We were down there the first part of December for a quick weekend trip, when it supposedly was before the Christmas "Rush" and it was more miserable than when I was there during the height of June.

What do you all think?

You are coming down on a three day weekend (Monday is Lincoln's Birthday). Disney is expecting larger than normal crowds, and has extended its normal operating hours in response to the folks expected due to many schools, and some government/bank employees getting the day off.

Be prepared for large crowds, though maybe not as large as June....

littlelisalovesmm
02-08-2006, 07:44 AM
Thank you. I did not realize that it was a holiday weekend. Nothing is closed in Oregon, not even school. The extended hours should have given me a clue ;)

THpoohbear
02-08-2006, 10:16 AM
This weekend is NOT a holiday weekend. That next weekend (18-20). 20 is president's day.

Darkbeer
02-08-2006, 10:29 AM
This weekend is NOT a holiday weekend. That next weekend (18-20). 20 is president's day.

They both are Holiday weekends, check out the Disneyland schedule. You will see that they are expecting larger crowds on the 20th than the 13th, but BOTH weekends have extended hours...

Monday the 6th - 10 to 8

Monday the 13th - 9 to 10

Monday the 20th - 9 to 12

Monday the 27th - 10 to 8

Here is a link to the California EDD, showing that they are taking the day off...

http://www.edd.ca.gov/eddsthol.htm

It also happens to be a Jewish Holiday on the 13th.

stan4d_steph
02-08-2006, 10:32 AM
That may be true, but most workplaces do not have both days off, so I would say that Feb. 17-20 will be more crowded.

THpoohbear
02-08-2006, 10:50 AM
I guess I should rephrase by saying that the 13th isn't considered a large or main holiday weekend. Very few people get the day off, compared to Presiden'ts day. But, thank you for the clarification, Darkbeer.

I also think the extended hours over the 13th could be due to Valentine's day.

Niwel
02-08-2006, 10:53 AM
I'll be there on the 11th (BB for lunch at noon)-- say hi if you spot me (crazy straws for all ;) )
Our office is closed on the 20th. Outside of Illinois I don't know too many places that have off for Lincoln's B-day, too -- even the bank downstairs from our office is only closed on the 20th.

sandiegorob
02-08-2006, 11:48 AM
San Diego schools are out the 13th and the 20th. CA State employees have those days off as well.

littlelisalovesmm
02-08-2006, 01:34 PM
We're doing the BB at noon on the 13th! I think we have reservations at noon for Ariel's Grotto on the 11th!

TrekkieDad
02-08-2006, 05:52 PM
Son of a gun! DW and I have reservations at the BB for 12:20 on the 11th. I'll be the one in the California flag jacket.

Tinkermommy
02-09-2006, 02:24 PM
Son of a gun! DW and I have reservations at the BB for 12:20 on the 11th. I'll be the one in the California flag jacket.

Hey, we have reservations for the same day, at 11:30 for DD's birthday. Small world, eh? It will be our first time at BB.

snappy
02-09-2006, 03:05 PM
Only time will tell! Our school here in So. Cal is off for the 17th and 20th, 4 day weekend. (Pasadena area) Too bad it hasn't rained because doing Disneyland in the rain is the best!

sandiegorob
02-09-2006, 03:28 PM
OK, stop bragging. If you hear someone yell "bragger" as they float by around that time, you'll know it's me.

Darkbeer
02-12-2006, 01:35 PM
I am currently at the park, and it is busy

They were parking at Pummba, Simba and Lilo, and the cars were backed up to the freeway exit to enter the Mickey and Friends structure.

TowerofTerror
02-12-2006, 01:36 PM
Wow thanks for the update Darkbeer

rentayenta
02-12-2006, 01:37 PM
It also happens to be a Jewish Holiday on the 13th.

What Jewish holiday is on the 13th?

Darkbeer
02-12-2006, 01:57 PM
http://www.chabad.org/holidays/default.asp

Tu B'Shevat, the 15th of Shevat on the Jewish calendar (this year, Monday, February 13, 2006), is the day that marks the beginning of a "New Year for Trees." This is the season in which the earliest-blooming trees in the Land of Israel emerge from their winter sleep and begin a new fruit-bearing cycle.

rentayenta
02-12-2006, 01:59 PM
http://www.chabad.org/holidays/default.asp

Thank you. We went to the JCC the other day and my kids planted parsley for the occasion.

cstephens
02-12-2006, 09:40 PM
Like last Sunday, it took quite some time to get into the parking structure. We got to the resort around 11am and noticed the flyover was backed up, so we went through the street entrance. Took about 20 minutes or so to get to the toll gate. We spent part of the day in Disneyland and part in DCA. Neither park seemed as packed as you'd expect given how long it took to get into the parking structure.

potzbie
02-13-2006, 12:42 AM
Well, I'll be!
I was surprised that MONDAY FEB. 13 would have extended hours, a week before the big Presidents Day weekend. But there it is.

• Fireworks!
• Fantasmic! (one show, not two).
• Closing times two hours more than the normal off-season hours.

Maybe Monday would be a good day for a relatively-uncrowded Disneyland visit.

It has been years since I did back-to-back riding of the MATTERHORN BOBSLEDS on the Fantasyland-side and Tomorrowland-side. Maybe this is an opportunity.

socaltexan02
02-13-2006, 06:06 AM
I was there yesterday (spent a little time in both DCA and DL)...imo very crowded. Not a typical "off season" Sunday. I think that several local school districts have today (Monday 13th) off (which surprised me as NEXT weekend is President's day). We didn't stay too long...

MsYumiBr
02-13-2006, 06:19 AM
Our schools are having a *district* holiday today.

cstephens
02-13-2006, 10:47 AM
Many schools and government offices are closed today in celebration of Lincoln's birthday, which was technically yesterday. That's probably why DL closed at midnight last night and why they have extended hours and entertainment tonight.

Alisonsmom
02-13-2006, 12:26 PM
I was there Feb 9-13 (just got home a few hours ago). I have to say that Thurs was pleasantly not too crowded, although it was HOT! Friday was still just OK. But Sat and Sun were very crowded. Most unusual for off peak season. Sunday was also pretty hot. Yesterday was the first day of the trip we had to use fast passes. And has anyone noticed that sometimes fast passes are not very fast. ex. Indiana Jones and Tower of Terror.....