PDA

View Full Version : Please Join and Put Flowers at the Entrance of Pirates of the Caribbean

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Disneyfreak
02-08-2006, 03:31 AM
I am seriously going to buy some flowers and put it at the entrance to the ride when it closes.:(
I not only feel this is the death of the original but feel it is the death of Walt's ideas. I am optimistic about the refurbishment but as we all know, it will not be quite the same. I feel this ride and Walt need special thanks for all the years of great entertainment. I would also like to put flowers to wish the ride and imagineers good luck on the new attraction.
Anyone else want to join me to pay respects to the original and true Pirates of the Caribbean? Put down whatever you want to even if it is 1 or 2 flowers.

Viva La Disney
02-08-2006, 05:51 AM
I don't know if I will be able to be there, but God knows I'll try. If I'm able to go during the closing, you can expect to see a bouquet of roses outside of Pirates of the Caribbean.

SandraVB79
02-08-2006, 06:07 AM
Come on people, they are not taking the ride to Yesterland!
They are ADDING some elements...

If walt would still be alive I think he would support this decision, since he was PRO improvement, and PRO innovations...

Disneyfreak
02-08-2006, 01:25 PM
This is not for the loss of the ride it is for the loss of originality. The ride is loosing its sole, dont you understand that?

potterphreak
02-08-2006, 02:41 PM
I didn't know rides had feet. ;-)

Seriously-I loooove this ride. Love love LOVE it!! But I'm not heartbroken that they are making changes. If, after they change it, it's terrible, then yeah I will be so sad but might as well as wish for the best right?

Tinkermommy
02-08-2006, 03:09 PM
Wow...I understand that loyal fans of the ride might be disappointed with changes to the ride...but here's another perspective -- get hold of a copy of "Disneyland: Then, Now and Forever" and look at the pictures of what's come and gone. If nothing had ever changed, I doubt any of us would be interested in Disneyland today.

I love "Pirates," but I'm looking forward to seeing the changes...just my opinion!

Osky
02-08-2006, 03:54 PM
Based on what I have heard, the changes trouble me. However, I will withhold judgment until I see the changes completed. As Sandra pointed out, Walt was always looking at ways to "plus" things, and I think he would have welcomed change.

notlemc
02-08-2006, 04:00 PM
Come on people, they are not taking the ride to Yesterland!
They are ADDING some elements...

If walt would still be alive I think he would support this decision, since he was PRO improvement, and PRO innovations...

I agree that Walt would be PRO improvement and PRO innovations but there is so much more to the ride that they are changing, they are not simply updating it. They are changing the story. The whole Davy Jones incorporation into the ride and Jack Sparrow trying to find his hat and Barbossa looking for Jack Sparrow is a major alteration of the story. Sure the pirates will still be pillaging and pludering and singing their catchy tune, but the story of the ride will be greatly altered with the addition of the Movie AAs into the ride. I would much rather see elements from the movie incorporated into the ride rather than seeing several plastic johnny depps around. For example if they included the chest with all the cursed gold pieces, or the dead man's chest or other similar elements that could be connected to the movies. Even a Jack (the monkey) in the ride would be acceptable. But personally, I don't want to see the changes nor Johnny Depp in the ride. Go ahead and attack me you johnny depp fans. You already have posters of him on your walls, do you really need to see him in a disneyland attraction?

danyoung
02-08-2006, 04:03 PM
This is not for the loss of the ride it is for the loss of originality. The ride is loosing its sole, dont you understand that?

Dude (or dudette) - I saw your posts on another site, and I have to jump in. SOLE is either the bottom of your shoe or a piece of fish. SOUL is the thing that you're afraid Pirates is going to lose.

Now, back to the silly flower thing . . .

Opus1guy
02-08-2006, 04:05 PM
But personally, I don't want to see the changes nor Johnny Depp in the ride. Go ahead and attack me you johnny depp fans.

Speaking of...'ya wouldn't happen to know where I could find a nice Keira Knightley Audio-Animatronic, would you?

;)

Osky
02-08-2006, 04:12 PM
Speaking of...'ya wouldn't happen to know where I could find a nice Keira Knightley Audio-Animatronic, would you?

I second that! But I would much rather settle for the real thing. :p

Wesley815
02-08-2006, 04:27 PM
I gladly WON'T be joining you.

Poor CM's already have enough trash to pick up from guests, now they'll have to clean up dead flowers all over the place.

Horrible idea, period.

TowerofTerror
02-08-2006, 04:32 PM
I wont be joining either

cstephens
02-08-2006, 05:29 PM
I have to say that this is one of the stupidest suggestions I've heard in a really long time.

DianeM
02-08-2006, 05:44 PM
I'm not thrilled about the changes, but this is hardly a "death". Rides change, experiences change, people change... sometimes they get better, sometimes they get worse. Hopefully, the ride will get better, maybe it won't be as good, but it won't be gone - it will still be there, and the old scense will still be there, even if they are a bit different. This is no different than when they changed around the scenes by putting trays of food in the women's hands. Please try to stop thinking of this as an "end". It's no more an end to POTC than getting married or having a baby is an "end" to a person's life. It's just a change.

I am seriously going to buy some flowers and put it at the entrance to the ride when it closes.:(
I not only feel this is the death of the original but feel it is the death of Walt's ideas.

canadasunflower
02-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Count me OUT!

Even if I could be at DL anytime in the near future, I think that this is ridiculous. Other posters have pointed out that Walt was the first to jump on movie tie-ins and to make changes.

Rides like Jungle Cruise have had changes and improvements and they've turned out just fine. Let's all wait and see what happens first - and then feel free to gripe. By going into it with this attitude, you will never be happy. I enjoyed POTC immensely on my last (first!) trip (heck I rode it 10 times, much to hubby's dismay), but there were aspects that seemed a bit dated, and if the refurb is going to mean some new technology and sights while maintaining most of the features from the original, I'm all for it.

Long story short - wait to see what happens before making a big fuss over anything. If Disneyland never changed from what Walt created we wouldn't have rides like Space Mountain or Indiana Jones.

SassyNYLady
02-08-2006, 06:15 PM
I have been following these threads for a while now, and never really gave my input, as I was reluctant to get into the whole argument of people taking things way too seriously. I do enjoy Pirates...and am one of those who is resistant to change...but I am holding off my own judgment about it until the changes actually come about.

Now, as for the flower thing. I am not out to berate someone for being a "Disney freak", because that would be a pot and kettle thing. However, with that being said...

My god man!! Get a grip!!! We aren't speaking about the death of a person here. It's an attraction at an amusement park. Save the drama for something that really *is* important.

CaptainHook15
02-08-2006, 06:25 PM
Jusy wonderin'....

Can anyone remember a time when Walt Disney changed, or plussed, a succesful ride/attraction?

Wasn't the original Jungle Cruise changed because it turned out that people thought the ride was kinda boring? and NOT because it was wildly popular?

There can be no progress without change. I guess I am just scared that not all change is positive and that messing with proven success could result in failure.

Disneyfreak
02-08-2006, 06:31 PM
Jusy wonderin'....

Can anyone remember a time when Walt Disney changed, or plussed, a succesful ride/attraction?

Wasn't the original Jungle Cruise changed because it turned out that people thought the ride was kinda boring? and NOT because it was wildly popular?

There can be no progress without change. I guess I am just scared that not all change is positive and that messing with proven success could result in failure.

You hit it on the nose right there. Why change what is already a huge hit?
So when they screw it up don't come on here whining because I will say I told you so.
Sorry for spelling soul as sole it was late at night, cut me a little slack.

Drogo
02-08-2006, 08:23 PM
It's already changed. Remember when the two pirates used to chase girls round and round and then there was a fat girl chasing a pirate? That was made politically correct as if there's such thing as politically correct pirates.

Changes suck, but hey.

Disnerd
02-08-2006, 08:31 PM
You probably won't be allowed into the parks with flowers. And I bet our custodial department will pick up your flowers with in 30 minuets of your placing them at the construction wall. Can we all say bad show?

Disneyfreak
02-08-2006, 08:39 PM
You probably won't be allowed into the parks with flowers. And I bet our custodial department will pick up your flowers with in 30 minuets of your placing them at the construction wall. Can we all say bad show?
Disnerd I am not saying put a huge spread of flowers out there. I am saying put like 1 or 2 at the most. I have no idea why cutodial would sweep away simple flowers that are not litter at all. Even if they did get rid of it in 30 min, that is all the time I need.

Btw if you think it is so rediculous then what if I said everyone waited till they did the redo and it turned out to be horrible. Then would it be that outrageous to put flowers out?

Wesley815
02-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Then would it be that outrageous to put flowers out?Yes.

Not much else to say, lol... I feel sorry for even writting a reply taking up bandwidth on MousePlanet for this thread.

Disnerd
02-08-2006, 09:16 PM
Disneyfreak,
Your energy is misspent. Do you think the act of placing 1 or 2 flowers in front of the construction wall of a closed attraction is going to even raise an eyebrow in Burbank? From an operations view of things at a hugh entertainment company like Disney it will just be dropped litter that was swept up by a CM. I doubt that the CM would even report this to his lead. If you truely feel like this is the worst thing to ever happen at a Disney park then write a letter of protest and await your canned response from Guest Relations. Sorry, but this is how things work in todays corporate world. Our feelings about a beloved attraction amount to a hill of beans when it comes to the synergy of promoting a major motion picture with a proven track record or "kicking the 50th celebration into high gear".

blueckles
02-08-2006, 09:35 PM
It's already changed. Remember when the two pirates used to chase girls round and round and then there was a fat girl chasing a pirate? That was made politically correct as if there's such thing as politically correct pirates.
My point exactly. The pirates today that many people believe to be "original" isn't the same as it was when it first opened. It was changed a few years back to incorporate all the PC stuff. It changed, not that much, and I didn't really like the change they made. But hey, it's Pirates. And it's STILL one of my favorite rides.