PDA

View Full Version : Getting a job at Disneyland

Pages : [1] 2

pixiedust96
02-07-2006, 07:19 PM
When i'm about 19 or 20, i plan to move to Anaheim to work in Disneyland. What i want to know is how to get a job there. What qualifications are there? What kind of experience should I have...thigns like that.

thanks!

ToursbabeC3po
02-07-2006, 10:56 PM
You walk in to Team Disney, fill out an application, and if you have a pulse you get the job. There is not much to it. They hire anything that walks in these days. Have fun working for Disney :-)

MyBeast
02-07-2006, 11:07 PM
It's a fun job most of the time, but don't expect to live on the wages you make there...

Vegitabeta
02-08-2006, 03:50 AM
So you don't need qualifications?

disneyhound
02-08-2006, 05:07 AM
So you don't need qualifications?
Yes: you are required to fog a mirror with your breath... ;)

stan4d_steph
02-08-2006, 06:25 AM
When i'm about 19 or 20, i plan to move to Anaheim to work in Disneyland. What i want to know is how to get a job there. What qualifications are there? What kind of experience should I have...thigns like that. thanks!You should check out the Cast Place column (http://www.mouseplanet.com/search.php?type=c&cid=cp) at MousePlanet for some articles that talk about being a CM.

02-08-2006, 06:56 AM
When i'm about 19 or 20, i plan to move to Anaheim to work in Disneyland. What i want to know is how to get a job there. What qualifications are there? What kind of experience should I have...thigns like that.

My dream is to work at Disneyland, too! I'm 48 so I'd be one of those old-timers on Main Street, probably.

I joke that I'd like to work quality control for the Candy Kitchen. But my real dream job at Disneyland would be the complaint desk at City Hall. Really!

Wesley815
02-08-2006, 07:44 AM
I would also be sure to look at www.disneylandresortjobs.com and/or www.disneyauditions.com (if you want info about Entertainment). There's quite a bit of helpful info, including a sample of starting pay rates for different departments, how to apply, what to expect, etc...

Vegitabeta
02-08-2006, 09:06 AM
Yes: you are required to fog a mirror with your breath... ;)
Lol, ok, I get it.

ToursbabeC3po
02-08-2006, 09:59 AM
3894 you are a brave soul if you WANT to work city hall. It is a very stressful job. I always feel bad for the Guest relations cast members when I see them getting yelled at for something someones else did. They put up with a lot of dirt but I bet they come out of that job with awesome customer service skills.

02-08-2006, 10:21 AM
3894 you are a brave soul if you WANT to work city hall.

See, that's why I want to work that job. It would be a supreme challenge to my people skills.

Burnt Toast
02-08-2006, 10:52 AM
Depends on which department you hire into. I work at Walt Disney Travel in the Disney Desk department (part of In-Market Sales).

Anyhow... I can safely say that for Walt Disney Travel that right now they are seriously short-staffed because of the amount of calls they are getting in the call center (LOTS of calls for Spring Break/Summer vacations and those last-minute "I can't miss the 50th anniversary!" folks)... and because the call center is so busy, that makes my department (Disney Desks) also short-staffed.

Unfortunately, WDTC doesn't hire CTs or seasonal Cast Members, just CRs or part-time. As a CR during the off-season (as well as most all other departments), you would be required to be available to work at least from Friday after 6pm, all day Saturday, and all day Sunday. Now that doesn't mean that you'll work during the off-season, this is when you are available to work. Right now however, because of the needs of the business demands it due to the sheer number of Guests calls everyday, they might require a bit more availability on everyone's part to keep the operation running. During the peak seasons, you would have to have at least five days of availablity, if not the whole week. You can put in preferences on where and when you'd like to work, but like requests that you make for a hotel stay... it is not guaranteed.

Entry-level WDTC Cast Members do get paid a bit more then entry-level at the Parks (like by a few dollars) and it is non-union. Full time positions (with benefits) are determined on a seniority basis.

WDTC is a bit more professional with a lot of neat perks... and after your training you are considered to be a travel agent so you can take advantage of IATA membership. Training is (I think) a month and a half, when I did it it was three months, to which you must be fully available for training during that time (I believe training is 8am to 5pm normally though). It IS a call center though so you'll be talking on the phone a lot (using a headset) and a computer to book the reservations. You'll also get a lot of calls that have nothing to do with booking a vacation from Guests that will get very frustrating after a while. The average age in the call center is a bit higher then it is at the Parks, so you tend to deal with a little bit less (though not completely gone) immaturity among your fellow Cast Members. I still think that I would have stuck with the call center if I was a bit older and cared less about being social with my co-workers when I had transferred there.

If you are interested in WDTC or the Disney Desks and want more details, send me a PM.

pisces
02-08-2006, 01:48 PM

thanks!

Have you thought about moving to Burbank and working for Walt Disney Studios?

Drogo
02-08-2006, 08:31 PM
Disney was once a good place to work but the new management has chipeed and chipped away at all that was once good about working there. The philosophy used to be happy workers are better workers and there were perks to keep CM's happy. Now there's just incompetent backstabbers who only care about themselves and make things miserable for the CM's. At least in the crafts it's like that. The union contracts are getting ugly each time too. I had to resign before having to go theough another round of contact negotiations.

It may be fun as a part time, but not as a career, and I think that's exactly what management wants, too.

Walt's dead.

Wesley815
02-08-2006, 09:06 PM
sorry wrong reply... lol, it's late and I'm not paying attention. Mods can delete this if needed.

Thx :)

Burnt Toast
02-09-2006, 12:18 AM
Yup... it sucks when an employer actually puts their foot down and expect their employees to show up for their scheduled shifts, not scam the benefits system, and basically act like a responsible employee.

Yup... OMG that royally sucks! I'm sorry, you'll find no sympathy here when it comes to Presenteeism... which is where currently most of the discontent is coming from. I feel it was about time and it was a long time coming.

Not saying that there aren't other things that they could be doing better... because there's ALWAYS room for improvement and I have my own concerns as well... but Cynthia's insistance that folks be able to get away with calling out from their shifts four hours after it had already started without any sort of attendance infraction or letting folks get away with three, four, or even seven attendance-related suspensions and still not get their ***** fired, all for the sole purpose to make it the "Happiest Place to Work", needed to go quick.

A lot of our problems came from the expansion. With expansion, came most of our problems that we face now. Not to mention that Paul and Cynthia did botch up a lot of things, like basic company policy enforcement.

I'm still undecided on the current contract negotiations... not that the unions were ever very good with educating their membership of the effects of proposed contracts (vote yes or no, just shut up about the details and don't ask), but not being in a department that is effected by them anymore makes it hard for me to get the information that I need to make an informed opinion.

daisy4me
02-13-2006, 06:29 PM
Thanks to everyone! That was all really good info! I'm defenitly going to check out those websites......and for the people who wanted to know, I want to be a character there!

ToursbabeC3po
02-13-2006, 08:09 PM
I just want to point out that Burt toast works for Walt Disney Travel company not the parks and he has no idea what is going on. When there is thousands of empolyees that are unhappy there is issues that go beyond the Presenteeism issue.
I had a friend that worked Walt Disney Travel and it was NOTHING like working inside the resort.

Burnt Toast
02-13-2006, 08:58 PM
I just want to point out that Burt toast works for Walt Disney Travel company not the parks and he has no idea what is going on. When there is thousands of empolyees that are unhappy there is issues that go beyond the Presenteeism issue.
I had a friend that worked Walt Disney Travel and it was NOTHING like working inside the resort.

Um... once again you are talking out of your *** and continue to see the world in that small-minded view of yours. Grow up.

I used to work in the Parks for years. Class of '94. I started in the parks, worked in Foods, Attractions, and also at the Resort Hotels. Been there, done that... I've been through Presenteeism, three contract negotiations, the Dark Ages of Paul/Cynthia... I can personally speak about my experiences with my fellow Cast during trying times and how I feel about the general state of the Cast Members at the Resort, but I chose not to and chose to keep my feelings to myself. I won't sit still being attacked just because you can't seem to understand that.

I hold INDIVIDUALS accountable. I don't think, "hey, some people of said group wronged me so EVERYONE in that group must be like that!" like you do. That's how racists and bigots view the world.

And hell, I certainly have more knowledge of the situation then YOU, an Annual Passholder that fits the negative stereotype in the worst possible way that a majority of APs rightfully try to avoid, that just chimes in with their comments from the outside like they know everything. Get off that high horse thinking that you know ultimately know what's right for the Resort when you probably have zero personal experience to even speak of such things, because honestly... it's not that simple. You're dealing with a major corporation, unions that show no loyalty to their members or even each other, a shrinking job market, people raised in the "me" generation, and the fact that change doesn't come quickly.

Again, I've NEVER stated once that I thought all was right at the Disneyland Resort in that thread in which you chose to attack me personally. I NEVER said that all Cast Members are the most positive, gushing, and full-of-magic (because hell, that would make me full of something else)... all I stated was that NOT ALL CAST MEMBERS HAVE LOST THE MAGIC AND THERE ARE CAST MEMBERS THAT STILL CARE. I made the choice not to comment about my personal feelings about the Cast in general, because like I said... I hold individuals accountable for their actions. Doesn't mean that I agree with what's going on or not. I find it truly sad however, that you can't open your eyes just a little bit to see that there are still some Cast Members that still care and not EVERYONE is as bad as you make them out to be... it's just sad to choose to live in that small-minded view of the world like you do.

Get that through your head please, you're starting to become a pest and I'm starting to get really offended. You'd be surprised... negative attitudes like yours tend to rub off on those around you. I'd do a reality check to make sure that your attitude isn't the thing that is pissing everyone off around you.

I was willing to let your personal attacks slide, especially since you don't have the courage to admit that you were wrong and apologize, so I dropped it. Heck, I even gave my input when you asked for quiet locations at DCA in another forum. Yet you come to this thread and try to personally attack me again?

Malcon10t
02-13-2006, 09:24 PM
there are still Cast Members that still care and not everyone is as bad as you make them out to be...
I've been very fortunate in that the majority of the CMs I have ran into, that I see on a regular basis (ie know me by name) and that assist me in areas share your attitude. I can only say I have ran into 1 or 2 with the attitude another poster states, and a quick look at their badge usually reassures me they are a new hire and just don't get it. I am glad that with all the issues within the park, the cast is generally able to keep it behind the scenes.

ToursbabeC3po
02-14-2006, 12:05 PM
First of all I am not just an AP this was the first year I have ever purchased an AP. I worked in Disneyland Attractions for 10 years. I have many friends that still work there and there is a big difference between 94 and 2005/2006. Shoot there is a big difference between 2004/2006.
From the time I started working for Disney in 95 it has gone from a BMW to a Pinto. Cast members are very very unhappy I talk to them all the time and it really saddens me to see them unhappy. A friend of mine that has worked the parks for 35 years told me they told all the cast members that you can no longer trade shifts with another cast member. So lets see you can not trade a shift if there is an emergency and you can not call in. What the heck is that? I will tell you what it is. It is Disney pushing out people that have been there for years. They want part time employees so they don't have to pay out benefits. The old $$$$ has taken over the need for there cast to be happy and provide a good environment for it's cast members. A positive work environment provides a positive experience for the guest. They have taken away breaks, Days off, now they are pushing to take away some holidays.
When I first started working for Disney they had barbeque's back stage and if it was really busy or hot the gave the cast free sodas. They did these things because they wanted a positive work environment. The last few years I worked there they had terrible Christmas party's and A cast blast that was worthless. There was nothing special about them like they used to be.
But Disney should be proud because the are accomplishing what they set out to do. Get rid of the people with high seniority and hire part timers at cheaper pay. Most of my friends have quit or in the process of finding a new job to leave as soon as possible. They will save money for sure but in the end they will loose that special touch. That charm that makes it the happiest place on earth.
I will continue to stick up for what I believe is wrong and for all of those who can not have a voice in this forum. And your bulling remarks will not stop me. I thanked you for the information you gave me in the other forum but that does not mean I will not stand up for what I believe is right :-)
PS don't get caught writting in these forums if you work for Disney it is a automatic written.

BWthespian
02-14-2006, 03:02 PM
I will be going to the "Block Party Bash" audition this Saturday, do I still need to fill out an employment application? or will I be givin something else to fill out when arrive there?

Shinku
02-14-2006, 03:37 PM
Woah, woah guys. What happened to "Attack the post, not the poster"?

Let's have a deep breath and a group hug.

cfrith
02-14-2006, 05:02 PM
I am not going to name names, but some of these posts are the meanest I've read on MousePad. Maybe I haven't been here that long, but jeez! Can't we say what we're trying to say without so much hostility? :(

TP2000
02-14-2006, 06:19 PM
I am not going to name names, but some of these posts are the meanest I've read on MousePad. Maybe I haven't been here that long, but jeez! Can't we say what we're trying to say without so much hostility? :(

These are Cast Members arguing with other Cast Members. You are seeing the real world of "Backstage" Disneyland, and hearing the real voices behind the shiny smiles you see out in the Park. It may be hostile, but it's real and it's valid. And for the record, I'm siding more with the angle Burnt Toast has taken regarding these issues.

After all, it is a job and it's work. It's not a vacation, they pay you to be there and put up with all of this, and if it's really that horrible than quit and find another job somewhere else.