PDA

View Full Version : Bad experience at the parks today

Pages : [1] 2

ToursbabeC3po
02-07-2006, 07:07 PM
As many of you know I worked for Disney for several years. So when I go to the parks as a guest now I tend to be a lot more lenient then that average guest when it comes to guest service. I know I have had bad days working there and I am sure others do as well but today just sucked. The cast members were very rude and SEVERAL of them did not even acknowledge me or my guest when we said "Hi"
My niece was singing for magic music days today and I was not sure about the time she was singing so I went up to one cast member and said "excuse me May I ask you a question?" There reply was. "I am a little bit busy here." Okay, I can understand if you are busy but you can say "can you wait one moment please" or "I will be right with you." I witnessed a cast member in costume walking through the park talking on there cell phone when I was walking to the Monorail.
There was one cast member that was very very nice and she worked in guest relations. I did not get her name but she had blonde hair. But in all the years I have worked there and visited the parks I have never had so many negative experiences in one trip. Maybe it is just consequence that it all happened to my party in one day it is possible but I really think the service has gone down hill. It was not even busy so I don't know why a cast members could not have the decency to acknowledge guest when they said hi.
I really thought that the cast was doing very well all summer maybe they are just burned out from all those hours they worked during the shortage and it will get better. I sure hope so because I don't want that experience again!
Toursbabe

cfrith
02-07-2006, 07:17 PM
The only time we've had a bad experience with a CM (not that we go but once every other year!) was at La Brea Bakery first thing in the morning on our first day at the resort. The young man working at the counter was just plain rude. Maybe he had a bad night or something but what a terrible way to start our vacation. He seemed like he was in a really bad, P.O.'d mood and didn't want to be troubled to take our order. Now that I look back on it I should have gotten his name and told someone.

MammaSilva
02-07-2006, 07:30 PM
The only time we've had a bad experience with a CM (not that we go but once every other year!) was at La Brea Bakery first thing in the morning on our first day at the resort. The young man working at the counter was just plain rude. Maybe he had a bad night or something but what a terrible way to start our vacation. He seemed like he was in a really bad, P.O.'d mood and didn't want to be troubled to take our order. Now that I look back on it I should have gotten his name and told someone.

Actually, this person would not officially be considered a CM, none of the employees at the stores/restaurants in DTD with the obvious exception of WoD and any kiosks from the hotel are employees of Disney Resort, they work for the individual restaurant/store/establishment and as such aren't held to the Disney standard even tho I personally think they should be.

frank828
02-07-2006, 07:36 PM
i just got back from DL and DCA. I was concerned about the air quality but it actually was decent.

I'm thinking it was just a coincidence that u ran into so many grumpy CMs today.

I had no problems with anyone, in fact i had a CM walk up to me as i walking through a store and ask me if he could help me, i was quite suprised as he caught me unexpectedly.

I obvserved a lot of CM to guest interactions and every seemed happy.

Only thing that upset me a bit was that so many rides kept temporarilty closing as i was in line. First it was Space Mtn, then Screamin, then it was Soarin.

Everyone has bad days, just brush it off, we're all human.

Phantom2006
02-07-2006, 08:24 PM
One night i was at Disneyland with my sister, and she wanted icecream. Well we found one by Splash Mnt. and i walk up to the girl and i was looking what to get then she just said "can't you see i am closed". She was talkign to some guy. So i just thought well maybe they are all closing it was like 9pm. Then we saw one by the HM and i asked if she was open and she said yes. So i don't know why the other girl had to be so rude about it.

Burnt Toast
02-07-2006, 08:35 PM

Too bad that La Brea employees aren't Cast Members. 8:P

JeffG
02-07-2006, 08:56 PM
Actually, this person would not officially be considered a CM, none of the employees at the stores/restaurants in DTD with the obvious exception of WoD and any kiosks from the hotel are employees of Disney Resort, they work for the individual restaurant/store/establishment and as such aren't held to the Disney standard even tho I personally think they should be.

ESPN Zone and the candy store (I can't recall the name) are also Disney-owned and, thus, the employees would be considered CMs.

-Jeff

ToursbabeC3po
02-07-2006, 10:31 PM
i just got back from DL and DCA. I was concerned about the air quality but it actually was decent.

I'm thinking it was just a coincidence that u ran into so many grumpy CMs today.

I had no problems with anyone, in fact i had a CM walk up to me as i walking through a store and ask me if he could help me, i was quite suprised as he caught me unexpectedly.

I obvserved a lot of CM to guest interactions and every seemed happy.

Only thing that upset me a bit was that so many rides kept temporarilty closing as i was in line. First it was Space Mtn, then Screamin, then it was Soarin.

Everyone has bad days, just brush it off, we're all human.

Well it is good to know someone else today had a good day and I just happened to run into all the jerks. But I also initiated a lot of interaction with the cast members with no response and that is very unusual. I am not sure if you were saying Hi to them or talking to them. You really can not control rides breaking down that just happens. Unless they are cutting back on maintenance and letting the rides go down hill.
I will be at the parks next Weds and if we have the same type of experience I will not renew my pass next year, I can get the same service at knotts berry farm and it is cheaper.
I talked to a good friend of mine that Has worked there for years just a few minutes ago and he said that morale is really low because contract negotiations are coming up and they are not pretty. They are even training people from TDA on Rides in case there is a strike. If that is the case I can see why they are in a bad mood. But to make people who spend almost 60 dollars a day suffer for it is not fair. If i did not have a season pass and had paid full price I would have been the first in line to complain today but I am going to give them another chance next week. If things do not improve I am done buying 4 300+ dollar passes a year. It just is not worth it if the guest service is going to not be what it used to be. I don't pay for the rides I pay for the Disney magic and awesome service. You can get rides at any other park.

disneyjunkie
02-07-2006, 10:41 PM
i too over the summer felt the quality of CM's was lacking. WIthout going into specifics things happen: accusation of giving my daughter ( her premium has a higher discoult) $ when we were both Aps to get a higher discount on mdse in The Emporium( who gives a rats ****) but to the point of look I saw you hand her the cash so no no no 15% for you . Closing my grandsons arm in the stroller entrance at the gates after waiting for 10 others to go thru after her hubby to get her and the stroller in the gate , without even opsss I am sorry. Closing the parent switch entrance at Soarin a bit early stating there is not enough time for the second parent to ride , 20 mins before closing on a weeknight off season.
I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for, and if DLR keeps suppressing CM's wages and benefits ( not the presnteeism DHU you need to be at work unless legitimitley ill or family emergency) the quality of CM's will be less than you get at In and Out burger or places paying competitive wages. No I dont think part time workers should get exorbitant pay just what is the going rate in todays market place for similar qualifications.

Burnt Toast
02-07-2006, 10:48 PM
ESPN Zone and the candy store (I can't recall the name) are also Disney-owned and, thus, the employees would be considered CMs.

-Jeff

Technically the ESPN Zone crew are considered Disney Cast Members, but not Disneyland Resort Cast Members (basically they are operating participants as well). They are held to a different standard but they are their own separate company.

The only Disneyland Resort Cast Members in Downtown Disney are World of Diseny, Marceline's Confectionary, the two Disney Vacation Club/Disney Visa kiosks, the Yamabuki stand that they sometimes have out, Security, the pin-trading kiosk, the Monorail/Main Entrance folks, and the balloon vendors.

MsYumiBr
02-08-2006, 08:23 AM
I read on another website that they are implementing a new lunchtime clock in/out thing. Maybe that is what caused the grumpies.

Stupid_American
02-08-2006, 11:15 AM
I witnessed a cast member in costume walking through the park talking on there cell phone when I was walking to the Monorail.

It would require someone familiar with "the rules" to be taken back by a costumed character on a cell phone.
Most would probably think it was cute!

acpalmer
02-08-2006, 11:36 AM
It would require someone familiar with "the rules" to be taken back by a costumed character on a cell phone.

I'm not sure about that. I'm not familiar with any "rules", but it would certainly surprise me (and not in a good way) to see a costumed character talking on a cell phone. Don't they have somewhere they could take a break and make their call? I gotta say, it would take some of the magic out of Cinderella or Peter Pan if they were chatting it up on the cell phone when they are out in the park.

In fairness, though, it would bother me to see anyone, anywhere who was supposed to be working talking on their cell phone--so that really has nothing to do with Disney. I mean, aren't they supposed to be working and not chatting?

Burnt Toast
02-08-2006, 11:56 AM
I'm not sure about that. I'm not familiar with any "rules", but it would certainly surprise me (and not in a good way) to see a costumed character talking on a cell phone. Don't they have somewhere they could take a break and make their call? I gotta say, it would take some of the magic out of Cinderella or Peter Pan if they were chatting it up on the cell phone when they are out in the park.

In fairness, though, it would bother me to see anyone, anywhere who was supposed to be working talking on their cell phone--so that really has nothing to do with Disney. I mean, aren't they supposed to be working and not chatting?

Um... he didn't mean a costumed character, he meant a Cast Member in costume (ie uniform).

acpalmer
02-08-2006, 12:04 PM
Um... he didn't mean a costumed character, he meant a Cast Member in costume (ie uniform).

My mistake, so we can take out what I said about the reducing the magic part. But the last part still stands--Disney or anywhere else, I still think when people are supposed to be working that they should be working, not chatting. I was under the impression that CMs do have break rooms or something along that line?

SoCalDude
02-08-2006, 12:05 PM

The OP stated it was a "cast member in costume" and not a "costumed character". I would take it as a cast member in costume is a employee in their uniform rather than say Pooh Bear walking around with a cell phone.

acpalmer
02-08-2006, 12:10 PM

This was the post I was responding to, as I quoted in my original and you'll notice that this post does say "costumed character" which is why I was pointing out my take on it. I realize now that this post worded it differently than the OP, so that was my mistake.

Stupid_American
02-08-2006, 02:30 PM
Cast member, staff, whatever, I would call someone dressed in a uniform, a uniformed CM.

If I saw a "human" character "chatting", it would be just another "human" chatting.
But, Goofy on a phone?

:rolleyes:

ToursbabeC3po
02-08-2006, 05:28 PM
Okay so you don't mind if Disney employees talk on cell phones, Chew gum, use bad language, Have purple hair, on stage? Shoot why don't they just drink a glass of beer before the start the ride while they are at it.
Disney is held to a higher standard then Magic Mountain and I hope it continues to stay that way. They have rules for there cast members for a reason. They are called cast members for a reason. Disneyland is a stage and they are putting on a show. All those warm fuzzy pixie dust feelings you feel inside when you visit the park do not happen because cast members are chatting it up with there friends "on Stage" There job is to put a show on for you and I had no problem while I worked there not talking "on stage" with my cell phone. I am in no way implying I was the perfect cast member but when I was on stage I did my job because that is what I was paid to do. It just seems like there is no work ethic anymore.
The problem is they are tossing the higher seniority cast members and replacing them with people that don't care. I have talked to several people that I used to work with and things have gone from bad to worse. It is very very sad to see. Most of the people they hire now are there for the short term and they know it so they just don't care. I hope on Weds I see an improvement with the cast members. Like I said it could have just been that I was in the wrong place at the wrong time all day.

I do not think it is Cute at all to see a cast member talking on there cell phone while they are in costume. It does not mater if they are Mikey or they clean bathrooms. Everyone that works for Disney is part of making the magic not just mickey and Pluto.

cstephens
02-08-2006, 05:34 PM
If I saw a "human" character "chatting", it would be just another "human" chatting.
But, Goofy on a phone?

:rolleyes:

I have a picture of Goofy on a celphone that a friend of mine handed to him during a character meal. It was funny, especially since he couldn't actually talk into the phone with the person at the other end because Goofy doesn't vocalize in public.

Disney Debbie
02-08-2006, 05:43 PM
Hear, Hear Tours. I to am a former CM and am appalled at the lack of magic of the current cast. I have seen CM's sitting, talking on cell phones, wearing costumes that are either way too big or way too small and I could go on and on. Something must be done to bring the "Magic" back to D/L that guest expect and that you and I believe in.

Thanks for expressing it so sincerely.

Debbie :D

Burnt Toast
02-08-2006, 05:44 PM
Hear, Hear Tours. I to am a former CM and am appalled at the lack of magic of the current cast. I have seen CM's sitting, talking on cell phones, wearing costumes that are either way too big or way too small and I could go on and on. Something must be done to bring the "Magic" back to D/L that guest expect and that you and I believe in.

Thanks for expressing it so sincerely.

Debbie :D

It's easy to clump all Cast Members as being like that, but remember... not everyone has lost the magic or never had it in the first place.

ToursbabeC3po
02-08-2006, 05:52 PM
I don't think anyone here is implying that all the cast members don't care in fact I know that not to be true. But if you work for Disney Burnt Toast and have not see a steady decline in guest service in the past year. You clearly are walking around with your eyes closed.

flipboitwo3
02-08-2006, 10:19 PM
we had a lil incident with a lightweight racist goofy, we ended up complaining at guest relations, in the end we got a big photo with autos frum mickey, minnie, donald, pluto, and GOOFY (the incident involved wanting autographs and pictures)

Burnt Toast
02-08-2006, 11:26 PM
I don't think anyone here is implying that all the cast members don't care in fact I know that not to be true. But if you work for Disney Burnt Toast and have not see a steady decline in guest service in the past year. You clearly are walking around with your eyes closed.

Um... I don't recall insulting you in any way (heck, my comment wasn't even directed AT you), so I'd appreciate you not disrespecting me when it really wasn't called for. Thanks! :|

All I said is that not all Cast Members have "lost the magic" and that not all Cast Members should be clumped into that group... it's exactly like how not all APs are nitpicky, elitist freaks with an entitlement mentality. We know better then that, unless "you clearly walk around with your eyes closed".

Like with any group, there is a wide range of folks with a varying degree of work ethic and the "Disney Magic". However, like with APs, just because some folks have a bad attitude... it's not right to clump the "current Cast" as having lost the magic, it's insulting to myself (I always make an effort to show that "Disney Magic" when I work, though it's harder since I'm offsite and only seen by a small group of Guests) and to many of my current and former co-workers and friends that also do so as well.

It's easy to clump all Cast Members as being like that, but remember... not everyone has lost the magic or never had it in the first place.

I never defended those folks who have "lost the magic" one bit and I'm not making excuses for them... in fact, I never even bought it up in my comment to Disney Debbie. If you had read my post instead of immediately trying to get all in my Kool-Aid... you would have seen that. All I ask is that, just like how APs would rather not be stereotyped, Cast Members also be treated with that same respect. Not everyone has "lost the magic".

Have a magical day! :p