PDA

View Full Version : Nemo Submarines

barely
02-06-2006, 08:56 AM
Does anyone have any info on what the new Nemo Sub attraction will be like, scheduled to open in 2007? I loved the old sub attraction, but it sure was ready for a re-do!:)

MonorailChris
02-06-2006, 09:52 AM
I remember hearing somewhere that the end of the ride is supposed to be something they have never done before,whatever that means.I have noticed that they are using the old motorboat cruise area a lot ,but it is probley for construction purposes only.

Phantom2006
02-06-2006, 10:17 AM
I wonder if the characters are going to be like a hologram or something like that. Or are they just going to have like animatronics under water? I have ner been on the old sub ride so I dont really know what to expect. When ever i went to disneyland it just never look exciting. I can not wait till this opens.

BlueSkyDriveBy
02-06-2006, 10:40 AM
I remember hearing somewhere that the end of the ride is supposed to be something they have never done before...

Underwater gift shop BEFORE the exit.

You do know how to scuba, right?

;)

02-06-2006, 11:13 AM
I'm looking to the merch for the new sub attraction.

potzbie
02-06-2006, 01:22 PM
I have a hunch.
It would a cost-savings and a maintanance savings, if they did it this way.

Disneyland could have the port holes actually be round video screens.

Thus, you would not see 'out' but see the same scene as you see in TALK TO CRUSH.
No real depth perception possible.
But Disneyland would control 100% of the quality and timing of the experience, with NO WATER INVOLVED.

If they keep the old style, then all scenes will be static. No flipping of flippers.
But I admit the sea serpent did have enough eye-google to shock and amuse.

Would a 1960s slow-moving sea-green environment be adequate in 2006?
It would be like a series of still-lifes, with the occasional moving fish (remember the lamprey eel?).

notlemc
02-06-2006, 02:03 PM
I heard that the actual sea creatures (ie fish and seaweed and the like) will not actually be in the water at all. Instead, they will be in fiberglass boxes located along the side of the submarine. However, the submarine will be in water, but the attraction pieces won't be (as they will be separated from the water by the plastic show boxes. This will allow the water feeling to be present, bubbles and all, and allows for the attraction pieces to be able to move on wires and such without getting destroyed like the water did to the orignal submarine ride attraction pieces. Having the fish out of the water will allow the imagineers the ability to have the fish swim, move and pretty much be AAs without out the concern of water damage or the such.

Opus1guy
02-06-2006, 03:48 PM
You do know how to scuba, right?

I do! And I've always wanted to sweet-talk my way into a Sub Lagoon dive. But alas...I've never found the right opportunity. And with all the new show elements in the new Sub attraction...my chances are pretty slim for the future.

Coincidentally, just yesterday I took my tanks in to be sent out for hydrostatic testing. A pain-in-the-bum certification they have to go through every 5 years.

My doctor screams at me when I tell him I'm going diving (I'm a recent minor stroke victim). But what the heck. We all gotta go sometime. I love the water! :)

BlueSkyDriveBy
02-06-2006, 05:02 PM
My doctor screams at me when I tell him I'm going diving (I'm a recent minor stroke victim). But what the heck. We all gotta go sometime. I love the water! :)

I can hear your doctor from here! OMG! :eek:

But I know where you're coming from. My doc told me NO WAY for Mission: Space, unless I wanted to an ambulance trip to the ER right afterwards. I'm such an adrenaline junkie! But I figured dealing with Disney and medical [stuff] wasn't worth it. (Especially for a lame E-Ticket wannabe like M:S. Or so I've heard!)

You be careful, Opus1guy. I fully understand about loving water (me, too!), but you don't need any ambulance rides, either.

:eek:

Opus1guy
02-06-2006, 05:09 PM
But I know where you're coming from. My doc told me NO WAY for Mission: Space

Actually, Mission: Space is one that I do sadly pass up going on. I think that one attraction would be just asking for trouble. But that's the only one I have on my "do not ride" list.

Thanks! :)

b-dof
02-06-2006, 10:33 PM
so, back to the actual thread topic,

i heard (i think from JHM <i dont like to post without having proper sources sited, but it was a long time ago, and its past my bedtime>) that the fishys will be projected on the inside of these underwater fiberglass boxes.

i think he also said something about having the scene from the movie with all the jellys being the big finale, or the thing thats never been sene befor at a disney park

but then again i could have accidently made it up

or dreampt it

geoffa
02-07-2006, 02:42 AM
so, back to the actual thread topic,

i heard (i think from JHM <i dont like to post without having proper sources sited, but it was a long time ago, and its past my bedtime>) that the fishys will be projected on the inside of these underwater fiberglass boxes.

i think he also said something about having the scene from the movie with all the jellys being the big finale, or the thing thats never been sene befor at a disney park

but then again i could have accidently made it up

or dreampt it

This is kinda what I heard. Given that you project scenes on to sprayed water as in Fantasmic having clear boxes that cannot be distinguished by the human eye against a water environment (put a drinking glass under water to get the idea!) allows characters to be projected so that they appear as if they are in the water itself. I suppose we shall just have to wait and see. As for a gift shop below the water - it could be along the lines of those shark tunnels you walk through at various aquariums.:)
By the way, over at WDW Animal Kingdom the Tarzan Rocks show is being replaced with a Nemo based show along the lines of Disney MGM's Little Mermaid show.