PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on fireworks strategy

kkmickey
02-03-2006, 11:54 PM
Ok, for those of you 'in the know', I need some advice. On Friday, March 3 we will be going on the 50th tour and watching the 7pm parade. We have reservations for the 10:30 Fantasmic on the balcony, and I was told today that it is now first come, first serve seating rather than seating in the order of the reservations call. Of course, we would like to get there as early as possible to sit in the front row.

Here is the dilemna. This is the only night we will be able to see the fireworks. None of us have seen the 50th fireworks. They begin at approx 9:30 (I know, give or take a few minutes). Where would be the best place to watch the fireworks and see the effects on the castle and still be able to make a quick getway through the crowds to get the the gallery balcony and get our seats. Or should we just take our time and watch the fireworks, and just plan on sitting in the back row at Fantasmic!?

Any advice?

MsYumiBr
02-04-2006, 03:24 AM
This is the exact reason why I suggest not to book more than one thing a day. You just end up stressing yourself out and not enjoying your time there. Plan to sit in the back row. If you get the front row, it would be a bonus. The only time there is a problem is when you are short with a tall person in front of you, or you get the right corner second row. It's a wierd angle. You can always stand up in the back row but if you are like me, a full day of Disneyland and by 10:30 you'll be struggling to stay awake, let alone stand up. Focus on the fact that you were able to get tickets for that night for the balcony. Keep in mind you are supposed to be having fun. Also, the fireworks are cancelled so many times on my visits that I expect them not to go off now. lol. So don't be too disappointed if they do get cancelled. In my opinion they are actually better on VisionsFantastic.com unless you camped out in back of the statue since 3:00.

Genris
02-04-2006, 05:21 AM
I've never done what you propose to do, so this is all just speculation, but the fireworks show is only 17 minutes long. That puts you at 9:47 when the show ends. If you are near the Frontierland gates to watch the fireworks, you will be going with the flow of traffic (of everyone else trying to get to the 10:30 Fantasmic), once that traffic starts moving. If you are there early enough, there are some great spots for viewing the castle projections on that side. You may make it to the balcony in under 10 minutes. I'd say it wouldn't be completely impossible for you to be there by 10:00. The last two times I went, we watched the fireworks and then headed to Frontierland for Fantasmic, and made amazingly good time.

However, I have no idea if half an hour is early enough to get a decent seat on the balcony. One would hope that part of the point of the balcony is NOT having to stake out a spot early, but since they serve food, and it will be late (and thus people are tired) I bet they will get there early.

That's a lot of planned activity for one day. Ms. Yumi is right. There's probably no way to have an optimal experience with each of those events, if you have to do the parade, and the fireworks, and a tour, and fantasmic, all on the same day. You'll have to plan another trip with more time to feature each of those things :D

Leap for Joy
02-04-2006, 05:46 AM
There is a positive to sitting in the back row on the balcony -- you can easily get more dessert! When we were on the front row we felt weird going back for more (before F! started) because everyone was already in their seats and it is a really tight space.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
02-04-2006, 07:12 AM
Ok, for those of you 'in the know', I need some advice. On Friday, March 3 we will be going on the 50th tour and watching the 7pm parade. We have reservations for the 10:30 Fantasmic on the balcony, and I was told today that it is now first come, first serve seating rather than seating in the order of the reservations call. Of course, we would like to get there as early as possible to sit in the front row.

Here is the dilemna. This is the only night we will be able to see the fireworks. None of us have seen the 50th fireworks. They begin at approx 9:30 (I know, give or take a few minutes). Where would be the best place to watch the fireworks and see the effects on the castle and still be able to make a quick getway through the crowds to get the the gallery balcony and get our seats. Or should we just take our time and watch the fireworks, and just plan on sitting in the back row at Fantasmic!?

Any advice?

I will be there then too, with my 4yo, planning to watch the fireworks and get over to see Fantasmic too, although we don't have reservations for the balcony. This too is our only night to see both shows, as we are leaving Saturday. When I was there on May 5th, Wendi and I were able to get an AWESOME spot dead center in front of the castle for the fireworks. Then we were just like cattle, people were mooing, to get over to ROA for Fantasmic. We got an awesome sitting spot for it as well. Everything worked out perfectly. I bet you could easily get to your spot on the balcony by 10:05. Just pick a spot in front of the castle that is sort of towards that side. You should be fine! HAVE FUN! See you there!

Wendi
02-04-2006, 09:09 AM

Any advice?

At what time are you able to "check in" for your F! reservation? I recall reading that you go to check in at some point, they put your name down in order, then you come back just before the show for seating. I'm not sure this is how it will work at the time you go, but if it works that way, perhaps you can swing by after the parade and before fireworks to put your name on the list. Or one person from your group could check you in after you find a fireworks viewing spot, then work their way back to the rest of the group afterwards.

pisces
02-04-2006, 09:18 AM
Fantasmic will continue to be at the Park. The fireworks are for a limited time only.

You should make the fireworks your priority.

You should cancel the Fantasmic balcony, but hear me out.

The fireworks are at 7:00 pm????? For me they were always at 9:20, I think.

Anyway, you'll need to bring blankets and set them out directly in front of the Castle at least 2 hours before. Bring some food, and a deck of cards. Set your blanket as close as you can get...the ropes start going up about two hours before. You'll have the prime seats that you want, and maximum viewing.

Think about it: You'll have been sitting for about 2 1/2 hours by the time the fireworks end.

Do you really want to do more "sitting" on the Fantasmic balcony? Presumably, in the 2 hours before the fireworks, you'll have had snacks and your own desserts and such, so It's not like you'll be in the mood for the Fantasmic desserts either.

Yet, whatever you can manage to see of Fantasmic, via walking around the area, or standing, is gravy.....knowing it will be there when you come back.

kkmickey
02-04-2006, 01:51 PM
The Parade is at 7, fireworks are about 9:30, and the Fantasmic! balcony experience is one of our favorite memories, and we really want to do it. We will be fine with sitting in the back row, because we have been there before, and yes, it is better access to the desserts :)!

I think I will check before the first Fantasmic! and see what time we can check in for balcony seating. If it's like the Riverfront seating, you can check in before it's actually time to sit down.

Disneymademoiselle
02-04-2006, 05:45 PM
I'm with pisces on this one. The fireworks are so incredible that they brought me to tears:crying: . They are beyond words!!!

Obviously, the best place to see them is in front of the castle. Beware, it will smell like horse pee if you sit on the ground in front of the castle!!!:eek: . I had my nose in my shirt the whole time. Hehe. Even the smell of urine could not possibly spoil the fireworks!!!