PDA

View Full Version : Back Packs

LuvDisney
04-04-2002, 06:46 AM
My family and I are making our annual trip in July. We always take our back packs with water and snacks. Can anyone tell me if this will be a problem this year? Are they still allowing packs and what about carrying snacks and water into the park?

socabch
04-04-2002, 07:02 AM
From what I have seen at the gates it shouldn't be a problem. There are plenty of people still carrying in water and snacks. It just takes longer to get in. Just have it unzipped and ready to be checked by the time you get to the table at the gate. I usually get a locker outside the gate for my jacket, purse & other stuff. Unless someone knows better I would say they are checking for unusual items that would cause a problem.

Not Afraid
04-04-2002, 08:00 AM
The two items I've seen people turned away for are Swiss Armey Knives and perfume. Don't bring these items.

Backpacks, food, water, etc. are not a problem. Take socsbch's advice and have your pack ready for searching - it will go much faster.

SzczerbiakManiac
04-04-2002, 09:25 AM
Not Afraid wrote:
The two items I've seen people turned away for are Swiss Army Knives and perfume.Swiss Army knives I can understand (obviously), but perfume? Why would that be an issue? Can someone enlighten me?

As far as SAKs go, I carry one around with me in my everyday life. It's so natural for me to have it, I almost always forget to take it out of my fanny pack (aka purse ;) ) before I get out of my car and go into park. However, I've never had a problem getting it past the security checkpoint. I don't mean to brag about this, I'm just suggesting that security doesn't seem to be all that thorough (or care about SAKs) because it's not concealed. In fact, it's one of those big fat ones (the Champion model, IIRC) and it just sits there in its pouch (which I always unzip for security.)

Of course, now that I've posted this, I'm sure I'll get taken to "Disney Jail" the next time I visit the park--if I have my knife with me or not.... ;)

Niwel
04-04-2002, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by SzczerbiakManiac
Swiss Army knives I can understand (obviously), but perfume? Why would that be an issue? Can someone enlighten me?

Apparently it's not the perfume per se, but rather the glass bottle the perfume comes in. You aren't allowed to have ANY glass containers in the park.

Many companies like The Body Shop and Bath and Body Works make body splashes that come in plastic bottles that you can spray. This is what I use (because I like giving myself a quick spritz since you never know who you might see :) and I've never had a problem with it. (Body shop white musk is about $10)

They have asked me if its glass, and I take it out and show them that its not.

I also have not had any problems bringing in snacks or water, despite the "no outside food allowed rule." If they give you a problem, tell them you have low blood sugar and need to have snacks with you. You can even get in small things like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, cookies, juice boxes, etc. Just don't try to sneak in anything too large because they will tell you to put it in a locker.

Ozymandius
04-04-2002, 12:12 PM
DLR security (as well as WDW) is a complete joke and a fraud. The fact that they only look and feel into each one of the packs or packages is worthless. They would not deter, even for a minute, ANYONE who seriously wanted to do harm to the park or guests. I do not feel any safer then before they did the checks. :( The suicide bombers in Isreal strap the explosives to their bodies (something DLR & WDW do not even contemplate searching), How about someone with a child who has a lot of baby powder?/Anthrax? Many times I have taken swiss army knives into DL and never been stopped. Everytime I open my pack, I look directly at the Security CM, and let them know that what they are doing is completely worthless and a complete waste of time and resources. I tell them that the Hand granades are taped inside my jacket :) j/k.

But seriously, who can honestly say they feel safer becuase of the checks. (Just two weeks ago while boarding a plane from Orlando, I accidently forgot to check my money clip w/knife blades into my luggage, and I went through security and boarding search without them even giving it a second look.) Safety checks are a complete joke...

Sorry to rant...

Ozy

Uncle Dick
04-04-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Ozymandius
Everytime I open my pack, I look directly at the Security CM, and let them know that what they are doing is completely worthless and a complete waste of time and resources. I tell them that the Hand granades are taped inside my jacket :) j/k.
Ozy
It's best not to even joke around with the bag checkers at the main entrance (which are usually not Security CMs, BTW). I know some which, if you joke around, will do a VERY thorough search of your bags and, if you look suspicious enough, may even advise security to keep an eye on you.

I do feel that taking away tiny Swiss Army knives is pretty stupid. Can you really kill anyone with a 1.5 inch blade?

Dawnie
04-04-2002, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by LuvDisney
My family and I are making our annual trip in July. We always take our back packs with water and snacks. Can anyone tell me if this will be a problem this year? Are they still allowing packs and what about carrying snacks and water into the park?

You sure can! Hubby was carrying a large backpack complete with our lunch and two large water bottles. Security took a look inside, and let us on by. As AP holders, we like to arrive at the Park early, play and then have lunch on Tom Sawyers Island. Then we're outta there at 12:30.

LuvDisney
04-04-2002, 08:56 PM
Thank you everyone for all the helpful info!

Nigel2
04-04-2002, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick

I do feel that taking away tiny Swiss Army knives is pretty stupid. Can you really kill anyone with a 1.5 inch blade?

Of course you can, right in the neck.:D

MouseWife
04-04-2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Nigel2

Of course you can, right in the neck.:D

Well, here you are!!! {grabbing Nigel2 by his brass knuckled hand}

Off causing trouble on another thread, eh? Don't you realize people can't handle this sort of reality? Hmm?

Back to the Midnight Society where they need you.

Nigel2
04-04-2002, 10:09 PM
Hey he asked the question, I provided the answer... too bad there wasn't anyone arround for a demo.:D

Heck if you are really good a pen (I hear a wood pencil works as well), a straw (this one take some skill), or a metal fork will do the job. But to ban all that would be silly.

Morrigoon
04-04-2002, 11:15 PM
Uncle Dick: I don't usually say this (nothing personal dearie), but in light of recent events, that's a pretty silly question. A box cutter blade is all of 1/2 inch, and you've seen what they can do.

Truth is, (and this is the scariest part of terrorism), when someone has no fear of dying for their cause, there is no absolute way to protect yourself against them. Take, for example, airport personnel asking you to remove your shoes. Anyone willing to put explosives in their shoes and blow themselves up will have no qualms shoving those expolsives up less "searched" areas, if you know what I mean. They're going to get blown up either way, what difference would it make?. We go through what we do to comfort ourselves, but we're only protecting ourselves from "me too" amateurs. The pros will always find a way. The only solid solution (and even this isn't foolproof by any measure) is something so abhorrent to our society as to be impossible to enforce, and against our very values as a nation. Therefore, it will never happen. We all need to take an earthquake attitude to the whole thing: make what preparations are reasonably possible, but do not interfere with us living our lives, train disaster personnel to handle such incidents, and then STOP WORRYING ABOUT IT. An earthquake will happen or not, as it will, there's no use spending every day thinking about it. Same thing with terrorism.

Wow, I got off on a tangent... hope I can find my way back to the topic...

Oh yes, take any food you want inside - only please don't eat it at a table in a crowded restaurant, and don't leave the mess for CMs to clean up, k? ;) They don't take kindly to massive messes left by ppl who didn't even buy there. They'll never say anything, of course, it's not in their job description, but still don't do it :D

Uncle Dick
04-04-2002, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
Uncle Dick: I don't usually say this (nothing personal dearie), but in light of recent events, that's a pretty silly question. A box cutter blade is all of 1/2 inch, and you've seen what they can do.
There's a huge difference between a sharp 1/2" box cutter and a dull 1 1/2" swiss army blade used for filing fingernails. A plastic knife from the Plaza Inn could do more damage than one of those tiny blades. Besides, what's a terrorist going to do; hijack a Jungle Cruise boat? :rolleyes:

Even if a terrorist were able to get into the park with a tiny knife and somehow sneak up on someone and somehow stab them in just the right place on the neck and somehow the paramedics are delayed and they die, what would have been accomplished? One random, freak death. A terrorist would have better luck getting into a car and ramming someone on the freeway. So don't go around "dearie-ing" me. It's a perfectly legitimate question, and it's ridiculous that bag checkers at Disneyland have to confiscate such harmless items.

Morrigoon
04-05-2002, 12:37 AM
Agreed, it is silly

I have to admit, my last swiss knife WAS pretty darn dull, I used to have to sharpen it on the bottom of ceramic coffee cups

disneyholic family
04-05-2002, 05:38 AM
what someone here already said.....these searches are pretty worthless...
if someone is determined enough and plans things well, there isn't much you can do to stop them....
every now and then you'll be lucky (like with the shoe bomber), but in the end, if you don't get rid of them all, they'll get you first....
a somewhat fatalist view, but there you are.....
the strap-ons....bombs that is....are pretty easy to hide...
i don't know if you have the visitors that frequent WDW, but last summer we saw women who could have had enough explosive material under their clothes to bring down just about anything there...
if i were a betting person, i'd put money on july 4th at WDW....cinderella's castle....in the middle of the fireworks display.....
hmm...i wonder if someone will give me odds on that.....

LuvDisney
04-05-2002, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
Oh yes, take any food you want inside - only please don't eat it at a table in a crowded restaurant, and don't leave the mess for CMs to clean up, k? ;) They don't take kindly to massive messes left by ppl who didn't even buy there. They'll never say anything, of course, it's not in their job description, but still don't do it :D
Thanks for the info. But just so you know we would never take up table space to eat our snacks. We would never leave our garbage for someone else. And we spend plenty of money on eats there.:)

[Moderator's note: vB code for quoted material fixed. -- Lani]

justagrrl
04-05-2002, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by Dawnie

You sure can! Hubby was carrying a large backpack complete with our lunch and two large water bottles. Security took a look inside, and let us on by. As AP holders, we like to arrive at the Park early, play and then have lunch on Tom Sawyers Island. Then we're outta there at 12:30.

Wonderful idea! (eating on TS island). The kids will just love it. That's just our style too...go early and leave midday...I like to have the little one go home and rest. Then, if I'm lucky, I can talk dh into going back later on.

Thanks for the tip though - what a great surprise it will be for the kids to have lunch over there.

Lani
04-05-2002, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by disneyholic family
if i were a betting person, i'd put money on july 4th at WDW....cinderella's castle....in the middle of the fireworks display.....I think that might not be the most effective in maximizing casualties. Because some of the fireworks are set off from the castle, there is a perimeter build around it and the castle isn't itself crowded. Plus it may not be as strong as a real castle, but it's still a fortress of sorts, with a good portion of the castle surrounded by a moat.

My money would be on one of the following:

1. Area between New Orleans Square and the Rivers of America during Fantasmic

2. Right in the center of Main Street during Believe.

Both would be at night (read: dark and disorienting) during a show that produces a lot of music and noise (add to confusion), with large groups of people who are sitting down or are stationary with their friends. By creating mass hysteria and confusion, a terrorist would probably cause far more damage and havoc. Families would become split apart, seated people would get trampled on, and there would be a chokehold of a massive amount of people trying to leave the park and not being able to because the exit paths are blocked by casualties, and with such crowds it would be difficult for both security and emergency personnel to get to the injured.

Back when my family lived in Tokyo, my parents were pretty well-prepared for major earthquakes. Not only did we have emergency rations, but we had planned escape routes to get out of the city. In that sort of catastrophic event, you have three "waves" -- the initial event (earthquake), the second (fire), and the third: Panic. Nothing like 20,000 panicked people blocked from the exits to cause far more damage than the initial two.