PDA

View Full Version : Autopia with New Cars

pmover11
02-03-2006, 07:37 AM
I understand that Autopia has a height requirement for children to drive alone. However, I seem to remember that children couldn't even sit on the driver's side while a parent sat on the passenger side if they were under 40 or 48" (I forget which.) The guidebook trick was to get in the car the correct way, and then switch before you left the "parking lot."

Of course, if they are that short, they can't reach the pedals, but the adult could easily maneuver them while the child steered.

Now that I see they have replaced the cars, is there still a rule that kids can't sit on the driver's side? Or, worse yet, is it now difficult to maneuver the pedals from the passenger side?

Arnie
02-03-2006, 07:56 AM
I don't know what the official rule on it is but last time we went my daughter who was not 40" and a week shy of three was able to sit on the drivers side and steer (well sort of if you call steering crashing into the rail everytime the road curves). Pushing the pedal was not hard to do from the passenger side.

Wendi
02-03-2006, 09:07 AM
A small child can steer while the adult controls the gas pedal from the passenger side. The only "limit" they have other than the one for a child riding alone is that you shouldn't take a baby under one year old on the Autopia at all.

Wesley815
02-03-2006, 09:44 AM
The only "limit" they have other than the one for a child riding alone is that you shouldn't take a baby under one year old on the Autopia at all.Yep, and that is 100% for their protection... I can't count the number of times I've been stopped and then slammed into pretty hard from behind, since a lot of guests don't understand when you push down the gas pedal a car will go forward. :rolleyes:

findin mickeys
02-03-2006, 09:55 AM
since a lot of guests don't understand when you push down the gas pedal a car will go forward. :rolleyes:

Thats what that metal thingy does![Slap hand on forehead]:eek:

lauramaynot
02-03-2006, 10:51 AM
Also keep in mind that the pedals are hard to push. It takes considerable leg strength. My neice even though she met the height limit wasn't able to keep that pedal down very long. She went by herself and got stranded about 1/4 of the way in. A CM had to come to her rescue and ride the rest of the ride with her. I would suggest that even if your child makes the height requirement that an adult rides with them for their first ride just in case...
I have also had many SLAMS from behind, hence the reason it is not my favorite ride.

momuvseven
02-03-2006, 10:55 AM
My kids drive all the time while mom and dad do the gas and help to steer if needed. We even let them push the gas if they can stretch and keep it up for a few minutes. Steering seems to be the most fun.
The last few times we have been on Autopia my kids have won a minature car to take home. When you go through the turnstile they hand out paper driver licenses and some of these will be prize winners.

momuvseven

MsYumiBr
02-03-2006, 02:24 PM
My oldest daughter thinks it is fun to keep hitting the center rail. She almost derailed us on the mountainside one time. I told her she won't be getting her license until she is 21! I am still helping with the gas because even though she is almost 13, she does not have the leg strength (or self control) to maneuver the gas pedal. Oh, and I won the toy car once. I would have *never* known if the kids hadn't been examining the cards they were handing out.