PDA

View Full Version : Rekindling That Disney Spirit

Katty Boda
02-02-2006, 09:22 PM
Ever since I got a Deluxe Annual Pass for a birthday present last May, I've been going to Disneyland alot. No, I mean ALOT. As in....way too much. If there is such a thing.

Sometimes, although I love being there, it seems that my friends and I run out of things to do. We've been on every ride, we've eaten at almost every resturant, and we've seen all the parades, live shows, etc...we still love doing these things, but we're looking for something new.

So I ask you this - Is there any un-orthodox way you like to spend your day at Disneyland? We want to see a different side of Disneyland! I don't know, it's kind of strange to explain...but, there it is. Any suggestions? We're taking a trip up there this Sunday. :D

Opus1guy
02-03-2006, 09:20 AM
So I ask you this - Is there any un-orthodox way you like to spend your day at Disneyland? We want to see a different side of Disneyland! I don't know, it's kind of strange to explain...but, there it is. Any suggestions? We're taking a trip up there this Sunday. :D

Well this certainly doesn't address the "we" part of your question, but I will opinion this:

The greatest and simplest way to see an entirely different Disneyland...is to go alone.

Honest.

Not having to concern yourself about others or talk or shush them during attractions and having the freedom to explore the many hidden treasures of Disneyland at your own pace...is a completely different experience that when you've got others in tow, no matter how much you love them or enjoy their company. It's a completely different Disneyland experience. I'm not necessarily saying that it's a better experience...just that it's a different experience and enjoyable on it's own level. IMHO.

But if you have to complicate matters by bringing others ;) then perhaps try visiting the Park without going on any attractions or visiting any stage shows. Perhaps create an "Operational" day at Disneyland. Take your group on a close look at the architecture, the landscaping, the waterways. Go from building to building and area to area and strike-up conversations with Cast Members that aren't too busy (don't be a nuisance or valuable time hog though). Ask what they like about working there. How long they've worked at the Park. What's the funniest thing they've seen. Just general stuff like that. See if they can answer any questions that have always been bugging you or any in your group. Try going to areas of the Park that you might never have spent time in to get a different vantage or view of the Park. Sit back in the far back area of the Hungry Bear or up on the second deck of Innoventions looking out at Disneyland, or sit a spell at those back tables at Fowler's Harbor and just take it all in. If you see a maintenance person, ask what they do and go on from there. If you can corner a "suit" ask about the business side of the Park, if that interests any of you. That sort of stuff.

Disneyland is so rich in so many areas...not all of them obvious or enjoyed by the average Guest...that I find it's very hard to get bored by the place. And there's plenty of "Disney Spirit" even on the operational and business side of things.

:)

pisces
02-03-2006, 09:29 AM
How about Disneyland from the air?

I don't know what your budget is, but can you rent a blimp? I saw many of them. Is there any kind of hot-air balloon place in Anaheim?

Ask to go on a non-swinging cart, and bring a pic-nic. You might be able to stay on a couple of times if it's not crowded, and not much demand for non-swinging. You'll get nice views.

Tower of Terror and Maliboomer give nice views from the air. Matterhorn has a few openings where you can see the park.

The 6th floor of the GCH has a few lookout points. Actually, the 2nd floor has a patio that's open to the public, I think.

And then, of course, you'll have to repeat all of these activities at night, to get the night views from the air!

DangerMouse
02-03-2006, 10:27 AM
How about Disneyland from the air?

I don't know what your budget is, but can you rent a blimp? I saw many of them. Is there any kind of hot-air balloon place in Anaheim?

LOL! You might want to check the OP's age. She's 16. Of course, she could be an independently wealthy 16 year old, but a blimp? LOL!

tod
02-03-2006, 10:40 AM
Walk through the Msin Street shops in the early morning. You'll have it all to yourself as everybody else ignores Main Street on their way to their first attraction.
Enjoy the entertainment. The Band in Town Square. The Dapper Dans. Farley the Fiddler.
Look at the atmosphere. The detailed façades on Main Street. The tiny rabbit-sized door on the Fantasyland Mad Hatter. The lighthouse at Story Book Land.
Take the gentle rides. The Mark Twain. Story Book Land. "it's a small world." The Disneyland Railroad. Casey Jr.
Watch the people. Families with kids, teenagers rough-housing, toddlers face-to-face with Mickey Mouse.

Opus was right. There are layers upon layers of Disneyland. Look around and enjoy them. As Yogi Berra said, "You can observe a lot by just lookin'."

--t

Katty Boda
02-03-2006, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. :)

Opus, I've always wanted to go alone! He he, but, as I am not in fact an independantly wealthy 16 year old...my parents don't trust me by myself. Of course I think they're perfectly right. Well, when I'm older I guess.

As for your other suggestions, and for tod's as well, I will definately keep those in mind this sunday! :D I'm even more excited about my trip now!

jdee
02-03-2006, 03:44 PM
I agree about going alone. At first you feel kinda lost and funny, but just get in line and go. There are a few rides that also have a single rider pass. I only ask for it on Soarin'. Last Wednesday when I was there, I was at Town Square for the repeat of opening day, that was fun. After a few hours at DL, I then went over to CA, went in the animation building to see Crush. That was really cute, mostly watching the kids interact with him and I hadn't seen that before. Continued my way through the park and the the hotel, exited to DTD, walked through the shops then back into DL. Have you noticed the herbs and citurs trees that are used as part of the landscaping? There is still lots to see and there is never to much DL!!

findin mickeys
02-03-2006, 04:07 PM
This may sound kinda simple, but have you ever gone on a "Hidden Mickeys" hunt at the park? They are a lot of fun. My kids and I look for hidden Mickeys whenever we are at the park and have a blast "discovering" new ones.

PeoplemoverMisser
02-07-2006, 11:20 PM
I've probably mentioned this on other threads, but one morning when we had an early afternoon flight and we felt done, full, satisfied, we went to River Belle Terrace and just sat & people watched for a long time. Probably watched the Mark Twain do 5-7 laps, had our Mickey Mouse pancakes & many coffee refills before heading out. It was so relaxing at a point of a vacation that could become stressed by trying to fit in 'just one more ride.'