PDA

View Full Version : rental, shuttle or taxi?

cfrith
02-02-2006, 07:46 PM
There are four of us (2 adults, 2 kids) arriving at LAX, we don't need a rental car for our stay, but it looks like that might be the cheapest way to get us to the DLH? Does this sound right- it looks like it would cost $80-100 for a taxi, how much are shuttles per person? and what is the cheapest we could get a rental car for one day (dropping off in Anaheim obviously). But then we'd have to also figure the cost of filling the tank up with gas before dropping it off...how much gas would that be (from LAX to Anaheim). And make sure they are open on a Sunday afternoon to return the car that day. Sorry for all the rambling!!! Thanks for any input on this!

Malcon10t
02-02-2006, 08:24 PM
There are four of us (2 adults, 2 kids) arriving at LAX, we don't need a rental car for our stay, but it looks like that might be the cheapest way to get us to the DLH? Does this sound right- it looks like it would cost $80-100 for a taxi, how much are shuttles per person? and what is the cheapest we could get a rental car for one day (dropping off in Anaheim obviously). But then we'd have to also figure the cost of filling the tank up with gas before dropping it off...how much gas would that be (from LAX to Anaheim). And make sure they are open on a Sunday afternoon to return the car that day. Sorry for all the rambling!!! Thanks for any input on this!
Super Shuttle is $15 each person. You said car rental to drop off in Anaheim. How do you plan to get back to the airport? Have you considered a limo? Its usually a little cheaper than the taxi's. We can usually get a 12 pax limo (plenty of room for 6-7 of us) for about $70 from LAX to a strip hotel.

Darkbeer
02-02-2006, 08:34 PM
The Disneyland Express Bus Service is $84 round trip for two adults and two kids with the coupon you can find at the site below...

www.airportbus.com (http://www.airportbus.com)

That beats the $120 round trip for the Shuittle Vans, or the $170 to $200+ for a taxi round trip

TTFN92
02-02-2006, 08:38 PM
We just flew into Orange County and found that it was cheaper for us to rent a car. I looked into the shuttle and it was the same as the rental, but the rental gave us the option of going to eat somewhere else. We basically parked it at the hotel and didn't move it until we left but we were able to stop at a restaurant on our way to the hotel and then drove around and ate out on our way back to the airport. When we were thinking about flying into Ontario, the Super Shuttle was WAY more expensive than a rental. Plus, I just liked having the option that we could go somewhere if we wanted and weren't stuck.

cfrith
02-02-2006, 08:39 PM
I should have explained more- after we spend 4 days at DL we are then getting a rental car in Anaheim for a 3 day trip to San Diego which we will return at LAX. So we won't need a roundtrip shuttle.

cfrith
02-02-2006, 08:41 PM
Does it cost to park at the DLH?

Malcon10t
02-02-2006, 08:46 PM
Does it cost to park at the DLH?
Yes, but its built into the "Resort Fee" at the hotel.

cfrith
02-02-2006, 08:49 PM
Yes, but its built into the "Resort Fee" at the hotel.

So, it's covered in our vacation package amount?

Darkbeer
02-02-2006, 09:25 PM
I should have explained more- after we spend 4 days at DL we are then getting a rental car in Anaheim for a 3 day trip to San Diego which we will return at LAX. So we won't need a roundtrip shuttle.

Usually car rental companies give a break for a "weekly" rental versus a daily rate, I bet the extra three days won't be much more, I would check the weekly rate.

And as for parking at a Disney owned hotel, self-parking is part of the resort fee (already included if you bought a package), valet parking is extra.

TahoeBob
02-02-2006, 09:59 PM
When I was at DL in Nov I found a rental car at Ace rent a car on the internet for $14.95 a day it was a PT cruiser used about one tank of gas, but we went to teh beach one day adn droveother places

cwhit45
02-03-2006, 06:48 AM
I've done both the Airport Bus shuttle and car rental. I much prefer the car rental first of all because it is cheaper. I can get a rental car for sometimes $40 per weekend from Enterprise. Second because we have some freedom to go other places. My wife and I love going over to Mrs. Knotts at Knotts Berry Farm on of the mornings for breakfast.

jakoky
02-03-2006, 07:51 AM
hi there, we are flying in on may 13th and i am trying to decide what option is best too, i looked into the disneyland express and even with discounts it is about 125 for our family of 5...i can get a private van(shuttle) to pick us up where i want, when i want and same for return for only 29 dollars more..well, for me, i think it is probably worth it, only our luggage on board, only our pickup and stop.....still looking though as i would like to find a cheaper option, but if it is only 30 dollars difference, i would much prefer not to have to make many numerous stops and have to search for luggage.....
sharon

cfrith
02-03-2006, 10:09 AM
Yes, I'm starting to think that I might as well do the weekly rate since when you add it up it might work out to be the same. That helps to know we've already paid for parking with the resort fee. Thanks for the help! I'll take a look at www.biddingfortravel.com to see what others have gotten on rentals. Has anyone ever been to that site? A couple years ago we got the Hyatt in Anaheim for $25 a night via Priceline because we saw others were getting it when we looked on that site.

Gymgirl975
02-03-2006, 06:09 PM
How much is a limo from SNA to the DLR? I tried to book but it was over $150 each way.......strange since others have said they got a limo from LAX for less!

Mermaid
02-03-2006, 06:27 PM
For two adults and two kids I would reccomend at least an Intermediate size car. If you have an Entertainment Book there is a coupon for up to 20% a weekly rental through Enterprise. I think the "up to" makes it 10% off at the airport. There are also coupons for Budget, Avis, National, Alamo and Hertz (who tend to be expensive). If you don't have one and want a coupon, PM me and I can mail it to you.

cfrith
02-04-2006, 08:08 AM
Thanks Mermaid! But I think we can get 20 or 25% off at a few rental car places through our USAA membership. :)

bobster
02-04-2006, 10:09 PM
My last trip over MLK weekend got a rental from Budget. Booked through Orbitz at $19.90 per day. Used the option to pay $9.40 for gas for driving less than 75 miles. Be carefull of the option to buy gas at $2.30 a gallon, may seem like a good deal but only if you bring it back empty because they charge you for a whole tank. Did not drive it while at the park, but I don't like the feeling of being stuck. On previous trips have used it to make emergency trip to drugstore, a short little geocaching trip as a break, and one time for a daytrip to Grand Studios. Also last trip made it from lobby at DLH to our gate at Orange County in less than 45 minutes. Think you could only do that in a cab. For short trips I think the cost is pretty reasonable considering the options, for longer maybe not. Our car from Budget was a Chevy Coblat, though it is a compact I thought it had plenty of room (I'm 6'4") and a big enough trunk for all our stuff.

maryjeane
02-05-2006, 02:32 PM
How much is a limo from SNA to the DLR? I tried to book but it was over $150 each way.......strange since others have said they got a limo from LAX for less!

Do not, I repeat, do NOT use www.tonythelimoking.com We used them for a trip in November. Made reservations for a limo to pick us up at SNA and was quoted $60 for our family of 7 - it was supposed to be a huge surprise for our girls. I confirmed the day before we left. Imagine my disappoinment when a white Ford passenger van showed up. They promosed to redeem themselves for our return trip to the airport - again, they failed, were 15 minutes late at which point we had to call 2 town cars. Of course the Limo showed up at the same time. Once the girls saw it we took it - but we gave the tip to the town car driver.

Gymgirl975
02-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Hmmm....okay, maybe no for the limo---but we have a family of 4 adults and an infant. Will we FIT in a taxi?