PDA

View Full Version : Captain Jack Sparrow to Join The Audio-Animatronics Crew of Disney's Pirates...

Pages : [1] 2 3

Darkbeer
02-02-2006, 10:45 AM
Disneyland Resort/Walt Disney World Resort Press Release

CAPTAIN JACK SPARROW TO JOIN THE AUDIO-ANIMATRONICS CREW OF DISNEY’S PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN ATTRACTION

Classic Attraction in California and Florida Adding New Characters Inspired by Hit Film Franchise Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean

ANAHEIM, Calif. / ORLANDO, Fla. (Feb. 2, 2006) - - First the theme park attraction inspired the movie – now the movie is inspiring the attraction.

Pirates of the Caribbean, the classic Disney theme park adventure brought to the big screen in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, is adding new characters and features from the blockbuster entertainment franchise and debuting when the next adventure begins in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest.

Both the Disneyland Resort in California and Walt Disney World Resort in Florida will close the attraction in March to complete the updates in time for the opening of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest on July 7. The attraction will re-open at Disneyland on June 24 and in Florida’s Magic Kingdom on July 7.

The attraction will feature the addition of two of Hollywood’s most infamous buccaneers, Captain Jack Sparrow and his nemesis Barbossa. Joining the wildest crew that ever sacked the Spanish Main, Captain Jack and Barbossa add an exciting new twist to the attraction’s original storyline as they race to be the first to claim a cache of plundered treasure.

“Successfully adding the popular characters from the ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ films with the mythology of our classic attraction is an example of Disney synergy and Walt Disney Imagineering at its finest,” said Jay Rasulo, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. “These additions will result in an exciting new chapter for the attraction and an unforgettable experience for our guests, giving them another reason to come and be a part of our continuing 50th anniversary celebration.”

Woven into some of the attraction’s most memorable scenes, the rival swashbucklers will be seen interacting with some of the more familiar Audio-Animatronics buccaneers found inside the ride-thru adventure. Also making a guest appearance is the ghostly Davy Jones from the second movie in the series, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest. But new characters are only the beginning. New special effects will also be added to enhance the “Pirates of the Caribbean” theme park experience.

"The creative legacy of ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ has come full circle with the attraction initially inspiring our highly successful film franchise and now the films inspiring exciting additions to the attraction itself,” said Dick Cook, chairman of The Walt Disney Studios. “The attraction enhancements capture the same spirit, swashbuckling humor and action that moviegoers loved in the first `Pirates of the Caribbean' which will continue with the highly anticipated new tales this summer and beyond.”

Created under the direct creative supervision of Walt Disney himself, Pirates of the Caribbean is the quintessential Disney theme park adventure, a swashbuckling voyage that transports guests back to the days when pirates and privateers roamed the Spanish Main. Starring a comical cast of rascals, scoundrels, villains and knaves, the world-famous attraction sends guests of all ages on a boat ride through mysterious caverns where “Dead men tell no tales” and then into a colonial era Caribbean seaport under siege by a band of fun-loving pirates. The attraction’s jaunty theme song, “Yo Ho (A Pirate’s Life for Me),” sets the show’s light tone with its tongue-in-cheek depiction of high-seas lawlessness.

The original incarnation of Pirates of the Caribbean premiered on March 18, 1967, in New Orleans Square at Disneyland in California. Featuring more than 120 Audio-Animatronics performers, lavishly decorated sets and special effects, it’s considered to be one of the most spectacular and enduring attractions ever created for a theme park. With its setting revised slightly to fit a Caribbean Plaza location in Adventureland, the attraction opened to guests at Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom on December 15, 1973. More than 500 million people have experienced the rollicking fun of Pirates of the Caribbean in California and Florida over the past 39 years.

“Enhancing the classic Pirates attractions with new characters and new technology will ensure their relevance and place in Disney theme parks as timeless adventures,” said Tom Fitzgerald, senior creative executive for Walt Disney Imagineering. “We’re adding a layer of storytelling from the films to the attraction while retaining all the familiar elements that make it vibrant and exciting for every age group.”

The Pirates of the Caribbean additions are one part of the “Happiest Celebration on Earth,” an 18-month salute (continuing through 2006) to 50 years of Disney park magic around the globe that started with the opening of Walt Disney’s original park, Disneyland, in 1955.

mi_mous
02-02-2006, 10:54 AM
So, it's not a rumor anymore, right? They are adding him for sure! I am assumming that the Blue Bayou will be closed during renovation as well?

Burnt Toast
02-02-2006, 10:57 AM
Blue Bayou is usually always closed when Pirates is down for refurbishment.

... in this specific refurbishment though, yes the Blue Bayou will be closed.

cstephens
02-02-2006, 12:29 PM
Conceptually, I'm not happy with this, but I'm willing to reserve actual judgement until I've seen what it looks like.

Andrew
02-02-2006, 12:34 PM
Conceptually, I'm not happy with this, but I'm willing to reserve actual judgement until I've seen what it looks like.
No no no, you have it all wrong. You're supposed to be up in arms at the very thought without knowing how it will actually come together.

Didn't you get the memo?

daisy4me
02-02-2006, 12:38 PM
I just read the post that says the POTC wont reopen until june 24th I thought it was suppose to be the 16???
Anyone know for sure???

daisy4me
02-02-2006, 12:46 PM
What about a premier date for POTC2?? At Disneyland???

Darkbeer
02-02-2006, 12:53 PM
I just read the post that says the POTC wont reopen until june 24th I thought it was suppose to be the 16???
Anyone know for sure???

This Press Release is the latest, OFFICIAL word, so it is now the new date. (Things at Disney are always subject to change).

My guess, Disney finally came up with a decision on when they will hold the Premiere Party and why they released the info, and my guess, the 22nd or 23rd, and a slight chance for the 24th. No official announcement has been made yet, but I presume the info will be released shortly.

oregontraveler
02-02-2006, 01:03 PM
What about a premier date for POTC2?? At Disneyland???
I don't think they will have the premiere until the ride is ready to go. It's too soon to guess the date. Of course they could do soft openings before that.

TikiGeek
02-02-2006, 01:59 PM
CAPTAIN JACK SPARROW TO JOIN THE AUDIO-ANIMATRONICS CREW OF DISNEY’S PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN ATTRACTION What about the rumored PIRATES OF THE "SCARIBBEAN" dual mode refurb??? Is that still happening? :confused:

Darkbeer
02-02-2006, 02:07 PM
What about the rumored PIRATES OF THE "SCARIBBEAN" dual mode refurb??? Is that still happening? :confused:

No, Disney wants to promote the movie all day, every day for the near future. Who knows, maybe in a few years, Disney never throws plans away, they just get placed on the shelf.....

findin mickeys
02-02-2006, 02:14 PM
What about the rumored PIRATES OF THE "SCARIBBEAN" dual mode refurb??? Is that still happening? :confused:

What is the rumored Pirates of the Scaribbean?

Darkbeer
02-02-2006, 02:20 PM
Jim Hill wrote about it.

You can go over to JimHillMedia.com and check out his archives.

DianeM
02-02-2006, 02:27 PM
I think this refers to rumors that they are going to put a scary overlay on Pirates, like the Nightmare overlay on the Haunted Mansion. I seem to recall reading something about the skeleton-ghosts from the movie being put into the ride. IMO, this would be a disaster. My 7 yo nephew rode POTC for the first time when he was 4, and he was a bit scared, but it is now one of his favorites. I would never have dared take him on the ride if they had skeletal ghosts emerging from the darkness.

What is the rumored Pirates of the Scaribbean?

bekky
02-02-2006, 02:46 PM
... I for myself just have to say that I love the classic pirates ride & get nervous about a "classic" being changed !
I tend to be sentimental that way. :rolleyes:

I loved the movie & It may actually turn out to be a fun fabulous NEW ride - but I hope it doesnt lose a lot of the charm of the original.

Im just soooo happy that we happen to be going there a mere 3 days before it closes - we're going to be eating dinner at blue bayou too. :)

So - because of the changes ... I can tell you that we will FOR SURE be taking the extra time to really APPRECIATE it this visit than we may normally have.

Syndrome
02-02-2006, 03:03 PM
I am also apprehensive about making changes to such a classic ride - not that it hasn't been changed before though. :rolleyes:

I'll reserve judgement though until I actually see what they've done to it. I do love the films, so there's hope.

Luckily we're leaving for DLR tomorrow, so I'll be able to see it like it is one last time.

findin mickeys
02-02-2006, 03:14 PM
I have mixed feelings about this proposed change. Part of what makes Disneyland great for me is that every time I go there is a new experience and this will be one of them. On the other hand, I loved the "original" POTC a lot and though I still enjoy the ride, when they made the PC changes a few years ago, it has changed my perception of the ride. Maybe these new changes will bring it back to me the way it used to. Then again, I may even end up a bit more disappointed in the ride.

The one for sure bright side is that my next trip down will be when it is under renovation so I will have to come back this summer when it is completed.

Syndrome
02-02-2006, 03:26 PM
Here's an interesting perspective though:

I was speaking w/ a friend of mine who enjoys going to DLR, but isn't a complete Disney geek like my wife and I. I mentioned the rumor about Pirates being updated w/ Jack and Barbossa and she thought it was a great idea. She told me that the ride "looked old, and needs to be updated". I personally can't relate to her comment and got quite peeved at it honestly, but it made me realize that she's probably the majority, and that's who Disney's targetting.

mugsrb
02-02-2006, 05:14 PM
Here's an interesting perspective though:

I was speaking w/ a friend of mine who enjoys going to DLR, but isn't a complete Disney geek like my wife and I. I mentioned the rumor about Pirates being updated w/ Jack and Barbossa and she thought it was a great idea. She told me that the ride "looked old, and needs to be updated". I personally can't relate to her comment and got quite peeved at it honestly, but it made me realize that she's probably the majority, and that's who Disney's targetting.

Very true It kinda sucks that not everybody is like us Disney geeks but man if they were could you imagin the crowds all the time;)

oh and Seahawks 28-Steelers 14

MonorailGuy82
02-02-2006, 05:34 PM
Well it's not like wasn't coming...I'm sure we all knew it was only a matter of time.

I'm skeptical though...I hate change. :(

ILovePoker
02-02-2006, 07:30 PM
Well, I guess it will be interesting to see a butchered attraction. Haven't they heard, if it ain't broke, don't fix it?

Katty Boda
02-02-2006, 09:06 PM
Hmm...I'm not really sure how I feel about this.

One one hand, yes, it is a classic ride, shouldn't be messed with, yada yada, and all that stuff, but on the other hand, it's only a few anamatronic figures, right? It's not like they're re-naming PotC to "The Jack Sparrow Ride"

I guess I'll just have to wait and see for myself. And if it ends up sucking, hey, we're an adaptable bunch, aren't we?

I just wonder how my friend and fellow Disney-geek will take this. She's still fuming over the fact that they painted Sleeping Beauty Castle a brighter shade of pink!

SoCalDude
02-02-2006, 09:20 PM
When we went on the ride today I took a really good hard look at every part of the ride - I am going to miss it the way it is.

Katty Boda
02-02-2006, 09:28 PM
When we went on the ride today I took a really good hard look at every part of the ride - I am going to miss it the way it is.

This is slightly off-topic, I guess, but I was wondering: Have little things in that ride been changing steadily over the years? I go on it each time I visit and my friends and I are always saying things like "That wasn't there last time, was it?" Perhaps we're just slow to notice.

cstephens
02-03-2006, 05:34 AM
No no no, you have it all wrong. You're supposed to be up in arms at the very thought without knowing how it will actually come together.

Didn't you get the memo?

Yeah, I know, I'm a dying breed.