PDA

View Full Version : Looking for food places near the park

daisy4me
02-01-2006, 12:06 PM
We are going in June and there will be 11 of us so I was wondering if anyone had any good value places to eat? We are staying at the hotel across from the park so we dont really want to go to far. Also is there a In and Out burger place? We dont have one where we live and we hear they are fantastic. Also I read about getting free drink refills but can you leave the place and then come back later to get a refill?
Any budget advice will help since our trip is around $8000 for all of us.:eek: My daughter will be 20 months old at the time of the trip so and advice on what to see for her would be much appreciated!!!!:cool:

TowerofTerror
02-01-2006, 12:21 PM
Denny Across the street on Harbor Blvd or even IHOP both across from Disneyland. They both should be reasonable for you guy instead of eating inside the park.

DangerMouse
02-01-2006, 12:31 PM
I wouldn't bother with Denny's. Their service is horrible and prices are WAY inflated.

There is an In-n-Out but it isn't within walking distance. My choice would be MiMi's, which is on Harbor, right across from the Howard Johnson's (go toward the I-5). They have excellent food, huge portions (read: split meals), and reasonable prices.

Have a great trip! :D

TikiGeek
02-01-2006, 12:48 PM
My choice would be MiMi'sI agree with the recommendation of Mimi's Cafe. Great food (breakfast, lunch and dinner), huge portions and good staff. Stay away from Denny's and IHOP! :eek:

ETA - I forgot to add 2 great and inexpensive places in DTD - 1. The walk-up window at Tortilla Joe's (only the w/u window) and 2. Ralph Brennen's Jazz Kitchen Express (also a walk-up with outdoor seating) - don't forget to try the hot, freshly made beignets.

nvmom
02-01-2006, 01:06 PM
A friend who recently went to DLR said they had some reasonable meals at Tony Romas (rib place?) because you can order just a side... like potatoes, or corn on the cob and such, which would really be great for kids (or adults) who don't necessarily eat the entire entree.

nvmom

Malcon10t
02-01-2006, 01:17 PM
I agree with the recommendation of Mimi's Cafe. Great food (breakfast, lunch and dinner), huge portions and good staff. Stay away from Denny's and IHOP! :eek:

ETA - I forgot to add 2 great and inexpensive places in DTD - 1. The walk-up window at Tortilla Joe's (only the w/u window) and 2. Ralph Brennen's Jazz Kitchen Express (also a walk-up with outdoor seating) - don't forget to try the hot, freshly made beignets.I also agree with Mimi's! Huge breakfasts there and the staff is great. And it's about the same price as Denny's.

PrincessLeia
02-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Napolini (the walk up part of Napoli restaurant) has good slices of pizza (Downtown Disney). Also, the Corndog cart at the end of main street is delish, even if you don't like corndogs!!! (I usually don't) :)

Have fun with that crew!

DISNEYLAND GUY
02-01-2006, 02:44 PM
I dont know if many people know of this place, its Marri's Pizza and I had the pleasure of going to eat there last week. They have REALLY good italian food, and its not just a take out place. its a nice sit-down restaurant. It can get a little busy around lunch time, (most of the business is from TDA, but all in all it is an excellent, reasonably priced restaurant), It is at 1194 Katella, so if you were driving away from Disneyland on Disneyland Dr, you would turn left, and then it is near walnut. A little walk, but if you have a car it is great.

It was 20.00 for 2 of us, we split there Mozerella Garlic bread, a Medium Pizza, and 2 drinks. The pizza was more than enough, and we took about half of it home, but the other portions looked to be large.

www.marrispizza.com

Hope That Helps you Out

Darkbeer
02-01-2006, 02:45 PM
Wetzel's Pretzels in Downtown Disney has a good deal, a Pretzel Dog and a drink for about $5. (A Pretzel Dog is a hot dog wrapped in pretzel dough instead of a bun). A good lunch for the price.

DianeM
02-01-2006, 02:58 PM
I generally try to eat cheaply when travelling (I would rather stay at a nice hotel than spend a fortune on fancy meals). The restaurants near the park are not necessaryly cheap. I eat at IHOP at home, and at the park I spend considerably more for the same food. You have to travel a few miles away to get local prices, instead of tourist prices. To save money, we generally eat breakfast in our room and take water bottles into the park, which I refill at drinking fountains. It's easy to spend $5-$10/person/day on beverages otherwise. The water is not great in LA, but you get used to it pretty quickly. I also like to have one meal courtesy of Knotts Berry Farm take-out. You don't need to pay to park at Knotts Berry Farm if you're just shopping. Just follow the directions to the park and ask one of the guards where to park for take out chicken. You can get an awesome take out meal, along with the best boysenberry pie in the world, for a very reasonable price. I like to buy enough to have leftovers the next day (we always take hotel rooms with a fridge). Mmmmmmmmmmmm. I take heavy paper plates and solid plastic flatware so that we don't have to eat with the flimsy stuff take out places provide. I really consider a trip to Knotts take out as a treat, and for less than $20-$30 we have an awesome meal for 4, with leftovers.

Other cheapskate tips... if you want to eat at a nice restaurant cheaply, make reservations at the Blue Bayou for lunch and order an appetizer instead of a meal. I had Calimari last time, and they provided a good sized portion (I spend some of the money I saved on a chocolate mousse dessert that was awesome). The time before, I had a full meal, and was not able to finish it. I hate spending money on food I can't finish. My favorite eating place in the park is the window next to Pirates that provides gumbo (meat or vegetarian) in a bread bowl for about $8. It fills me up, and I have a healthy appetite. You can also economize by sharing. A churro splits in half nicely, and teaming up on cotton candy is fun. Don't bother trying to share Dole Whips, though. They're too good.

Any budget advice will help since our trip is around $8000 for all of us.:eek: My daughter will be 20 months old at the time of the trip so and advice on what to see for her would be much appreciated!!!!:cool:

daisy4me
02-01-2006, 03:24 PM
THANKS so much. That was very helpful. I am taking notes and I hope all this work ahead of time pays off. I just read on another post that if you go intoDCA whitewater snacks you can purchase a refillable mug and keep refilling it. I hope thats true because there will be alot of us and I know drinks alone will cost a fortune.
I really appreciate all the helpful advice and if anyone thinks of any other good deals please pass them on.
Can you take a water bottle into the park? Also what about your own snacks? My daughter will be 20 months old and she snacks all day long....

tinker3
02-01-2006, 05:03 PM
Wetzel's Pretzels in Downtown Disney has a good deal, a Pretzel Dog and a drink for about $5. (A Pretzel Dog is a hot dog wrapped in pretzel dough instead of a bun). A good lunch for the price.

I have been to DTD a hundred times and I do not ever remember seeing Wetzels (my kids love it). Please let me know where it is! Thanks:)

daisy4me
02-01-2006, 05:10 PM
Does anyone know where you can get a good map that has all the food and shopping place in DTD?:D

DISNEYLAND GUY
02-01-2006, 05:44 PM
I have been to DTD a hundred times and I do not ever remember seeing Wetzels (my kids love it). Please let me know where it is! Thanks:)

In Between Department 56 and Haagen-Dazs(sp?)

Directly across from the DtD GCH entrance

Malcon10t
02-01-2006, 05:44 PM
Leaving the park and walking towards the hotels, its on the right side, next to Haagan Dazs, across from Libby Lu.

Malcon10t
02-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Does anyone know where you can get a good map that has all the food and shopping place in DTD?:D
Go to www.disneyland.com. In the upper right corner is the word MAP. CLick on it and click on the DTD area. Then you can mouse over the various locations.

MermaidHair
02-01-2006, 05:56 PM
Go to www.disneyland.com. In the upper right corner is the word MAP. CLick on it and click on the DTD area. Then you can mouse over the various locations.

I found this nice map but I was not able to get any info to show up when I moused over. Anyone else having this problem?

davnat
02-01-2006, 06:04 PM
Can you take a water bottle into the park? Also what about your own snacks? My daughter will be 20 months old and she snacks all day long....
Yes! We always packed our bags full of water bottles and snacks to keep on budget! Our daughters who were 4 and 6 at the time had eeyore fanny packs and would love to pack there own snacks! We also had a two year old who loves to snack all day and we couldn't of survived without our own snacks! Have fun!

darph nader
02-01-2006, 07:51 PM
CHOAS ( sorry it's now I HOP, wish i'd liberated two ashtrays. HI Rosiland ).Kappin Kids isn't bad,not very crowded kinda cheap and decent food for the money.Friendly staff.Nice atmosphere.Least expensive is McDoogles (5 adults and a grandkiddo for less than $20 bucks ) But I'm a simplistic redneck and am not into fine dining.Oh I love a good meal, but I'm not a snooty diner.:cool:

Stupid_American
02-01-2006, 07:58 PM
I dont know if many people know of this place, its Marri's Pizza and I had the pleasure of going to eat there last week. They have REALLY good italian food, and its not just a take out place.
www.marrispizza.com

Hope That Helps you Out

The do great pizza too!