PDA

View Full Version : Tipping the Concierge

DisneyPeachee
02-01-2006, 08:24 AM
Okay, here's something I've been wondering about. Should you tip the Concierge(CM) if you're staying on the concierge level at either the Disneyland Hotel or the Grand Californian? You're already spending more :eek: to stay at that level, so do you need to tip the CMs that help you with reservations, provide you with DVDs, answer questions, etc.? What are your thoughts? Thanks:D

stan4d_steph
02-01-2006, 08:32 AM
You might want to read the thoughts in this previous thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=28535).

Anyone else with recent experience?

kisroo
02-01-2006, 08:32 AM
Okay, here's something I've been wondering about. Should you tip the Concierge(CM) if you're staying on the concierge level at either the Disneyland Hotel or the Grand Californian? You're already spending more :eek: to stay at that level, so do you need to tip the CMs that help you with reservations, provide you with DVDs, answer questions, etc.? What are your thoughts? Thanks:D

We did. I don't know if this was the "right" way, but we tipped the staff who worked the lounge by leaving several dollars on our table after breakfast or during the wine and cheese times.

I also left an envelope with a tip at the end of our stay with specific names on them for concierge staff who were particularly helpful with either ressies, special turndown services and the like.

~kisroo:)

infinite
02-01-2006, 09:23 AM
I tipped the CM who greeted us at the valet area, walked up upstairs and showed us our room and the lounge $20. I did not tip when we borrowed DVD’s or just visited the lounge. Most of the time when we did those things, we were carrying cash anyway.

I am not sure what proper etiquette is in the situation..

hlbtimes2
02-01-2006, 09:38 AM
We did not tip during out Oct. stay. We didnt really have them do anything for us. Actually, we did ask them for 2 things- call the carnation and get us breakfast seating, and call super shuttle and arrange for pick up. I'm sure there are people that use the service multiple times a day, for many things. We didnt. I actually didnt even thinkg about tipping them since we were paying so much for the upgrade. I just looked at it as a service I paid for.

We did tip the bellmen and I left money daily for the maid service.

MsYumiBr
02-01-2006, 09:43 AM
Wow. Thanks for the link to the other thread. I never realized money could get people in trouble. I'll talk to my husband about this trip bringing gifts.

DisneyPeachee
02-01-2006, 10:06 AM
Wel . . . . after reading all of the replies to my post and the previous thread, I decided to call the Grand Californian (where we are going to stay). I asked to speak to a manager. She said that CMs on the concierge level used to be prohibited from accepting tips. However, there is no such rule anymore and that tipping is allowed.

Malcon10t
02-01-2006, 10:33 AM
Wow. Thanks for the link to the other thread. I never realized money could get people in trouble. I'll talk to my husband about this trip bringing gifts.I am another one who never tips cash to the conceirge area. But I do tip gifts. CMs are always grateful. In one hotel, I thought it was great when out of the blue, the conceirge had arranged a HUGE birthday cake for my son and daughter when we were staying there on their birthdays. Seems she had us in her book, knew their dates, and we woke up to staff bringing us this GORGEOUS black forest cake to our suite, with a card for them. I do not do cash due to the tips/kickback issues most major hotels have, so I do gifts. Not QUITE as lavish as disney1, but I do get remembered!! I just like to show appreciation for their extra efforts.

twokids
02-01-2006, 10:49 AM
We were there last Nov and my son became extremely ill. One of the CMs on GCH concierge's level helped us find the nearest urgent care facility and was truly amazing in a very scary situation. After the commotion died down, I tried to tip the CM but she refused to take the money. Now, I did not ask if it was thier policy but the only answer she would give me was she loved her job at GCH, was happy to help and relieved that my son was okay.

After that trip I wrote an extremely appreciative letter to her supervisor. I figured if I was not able to tip her the least I could do was let her supervisor know what a wonderful employee she was!!

infinite
02-01-2006, 10:54 AM
We were there last Nov and my son became extremely ill. One of the CMs on GCH concierge's level helped us find the nearest urgent care facility and was truly amazing in a very scary situation. After the commotion died down, I tried to tip the CM but she refused to take the money. Now, I did not ask if it was thier policy but the only answer she would give me was she loved her job at GCH, was happy to help and relieved that my son was okay.

After that trip I wrote an extremely appreciative letter to her supervisor. I figured if I was not able to tip her the least I could do was let her supervisor know what a wonderful employee she was!!

I think it would be emotionally difficult to accept a tip in that situation, when someone’s life and health is in jeopardy. She probably did it because she is a good person, and not because it was her job.

Writing the letter was a really nice thing to do.

Leash81
02-01-2006, 12:58 PM
We were there in July and we didn't use the concierge services much but we did use the lounge a lot so we wanted to tip a couple of the CM's there who had been really great but they both said they could not accept tips. So instead we wrote a letter to several people praising the service we got from these CM's, figured it was the least we could do.