PDA

View Full Version : City Pass?

CNDKanga
02-01-2006, 07:40 AM
I can't decide which would be better -- disneyland passes for 4 days or get the City Pass (disneyland 3 days and then Universal Studios, Sea World and Zoo). We will be driving from Vancouver B.C. in May, taking 5 days to drive down. My husband will be attendin E3 in LA for the next 4 days and the kids and I will be going to disneyland (kids ages 6,4 and 2 -- the older 2 have been to Disneyland 2 times already, the youngest one hasn't been yet). Do I drive down to San Diego for a night and do sea world and the zoo and then do disneyland for the next 3 days or do I just do Disneyland. We'd do Universal Studios the day before we drive home (so dad would be with us). We have 8 days to drive home (I have us driving home in 4 days so we have a few days at home before holiday ends but we could take more time somewhere if we need to.) With just one parent is it worth going to San Diego with the 3 kids or would we be better off using those days in Disneyland (getting the City pass would only add about $100 give or take)

stan4d_steph
02-01-2006, 08:25 AM
If you really want to see much of anything, you'll need one day each for SeaWorld and the SD Zoo.

IdahoMike
02-01-2006, 08:41 AM
I did the CityPass 2 years ago, and I have to agree, especially for the zoo you need a whole day. Sea World could probably be done in half a day, but you'd have to be in San Diego for 2 days unless you wanted to miss out on a lot of things. It was worth the money if you have the time to do it, but I wouldn't spend the money if you don't have the time to really enjoy it.

CNDKanga
02-01-2006, 11:52 AM
Sorry, let me be a bit clearer. We would go to San Diego for one night -- Do the Zoo when we get there (from L.A. so if we left early in the morning would have a full day) and then sleep and do Sea World the next day and drive to Disneyland in the evening. I guess I just want to know if going by myself with 3 young kids to do the San Diego thing would be pushing my sanity level too high. I have done Disneyland with the older two, twice before on my own....would you have less days in Disneyland in order to do other activities or would the extra days in DIsneyland, especially when young children are involved, a wiser way to go?

cfrith
02-01-2006, 01:16 PM
We were debating the same thing (coming from Michigan) - but it will be my husband and I and our 4 and 7 year old girls. We have already been to both Sea World and the SD zoo, though it's been a couple years. We have decided on this trip we will be doing 4 days at DL, then take it easy our other 3 days in San Diego while visiting our friends who live there. We will be going to Sea World on one of the 3 days just because that is what our kids really want (feeding the dolphins). Then we're doing the SEALS tour (a bus that turns into a boat) just because our friends that live in SD have wanted to try it out :eek: Hopefully it will be okay!!! The other day we might head to the beach-- I loved La Jolla Cove last time we were in SoCal - great for little kids.

If I were you I would not push yourself to do all of those in that time frame. Maybe let the kids pick SW or the zoo...:)

kuusimo
02-01-2006, 04:38 PM
You know I think you could do that.

We did the city pass two years ago. However- Day 1- Knotts Berry Farm Day 2- Disneyland That night my DH got strep throat. Day 3- I took our then 2yr old to Disneyland by myself while he stayed at the hotel with our then 1 yr old. He was SOOO sick we came home the next morning. Since we are in the Phoenix area and we had 2 weeks to use the passes we then drove to San Diego a week later to use the Sea World and Zoo. It took us 3 hours to see Sea World. We missed the Shamu show and all my boys wanted to do was pet the starfish.

They do have some cool shows that your children may like. I agree that the zoo will take a day. Be prepared for lots of HILLS. Also it comes with a bus ride. Use that when you are tired not at first.

I think you could easily do it though with just one overnighter. I am just thinking of my two though. If you have a Costco card- order your city pass through them. Last time I was on there they were cheaper than on the website. Don't buy it from the website though. You can buy them at any of the places so save yourself shipping.

prncsmsj
02-02-2006, 01:49 PM
We bought the CityPass through Costco and used it in December. It was worth it just because we were going to Sea World in addition to Disneyland. Costco has them at excellent prices.

I don't think you need a full day; we actually managed to do Sea World in 2 hours before. :p It is a much slower pace than Disneyland, as is the zoo, so I think you could handle it fine. Also, with Sea World, I have found it is better to go in the second half of the day. A lot of people go in the morning, then leave after half a day. Plus, the trainers have leftover food at the end of the day to use. We got to feed almost everything for free because it was close to closing time.