PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide [is DLH really worth it?]

Pages : [1] 2

DangerMouse
01-31-2006, 01:36 PM
I am making a special trip to DL with my son for his 6th birthday at the end of Feb. I currently have ressies at the HoJo, bldg. 2, for $49 per night for two nights. We've stayed at the HoJo just about every time we have gone to DL and have absolutely no complaints. It's an awesome place to stay.

However, for his birthday I decided to get myself a Disney Visa and booked a room at the DLH (standard/city view) for $119 per night. This actually comes out to $300 for two nights when you add on tax and resort fees. That's one expensive newspaper! :P

Here's where I'm on the fence. I am not counting on an upgraded view. More than likely we will be staring at the parking lot out of our room and have to walk farther to the front gates than if we were at the HoJo. The only benefits I see of staying at the DLH are (1) early entry on Monday and Tuesday of our stay; (2) special birthday touches like pin and balloons; and (3) use of the Neverland pool.

So, do all you experienced vetrans think it's worth the extra $200 for these touches? Will I be "wowed" by the DLH? I honestly wasn't overly impressed with the GCH when I took my dd for her birthday in June. Nice lobby, but I can experience that without the HUGE pricetag for a mediocre room. Once again, early entry is the biggest draw at this point.

Someone wanna push me off this fence one way or another? I gotta cancel DLH by 2/23. THANKS!

Darkbeer
01-31-2006, 01:45 PM
Why not stay at HoJo's, and take the money saved and splurge on a Birthday meal at Goofy's Kitchen, this way you get the DLH hotel experence, and have money left over to buy your son some more gifts!!!

MammaSilva
01-31-2006, 01:48 PM
Here's what I would do...figure out the actual total at Hojo....deduct the total from the DLH total, then simply look at that amount and say how much is my time worth. How important is it to get two extra hours in the park at the end of Feb. I'll say that the Neverland pool totally rocks but back to the timing here, end of Feb is it going to be warm enough to ENJOY that feature? I know the parks have been nuts lately with no real 'down/off season' crowd levels like in years past but at the same time if you're going on Monday/Tuesday in Feb unless it's one of the 3 day weekends, I'm doubtful that it would be so crazy as to make the extra hour each morning in Fantasyland worth the rough cost of about $75.00 an hour (that's just rounding numbers and guestimation of final totals here with the figures you've already posted of roughly 100 vs 300 for the room)

DangerMouse
01-31-2006, 01:49 PM
Why not stay at HoJo's, and take the money saved and splurge on a Birthday meal at Goofy's Kitchen, this way you get the DLH hotel experence, and have money left over to buy your son some more gifts!!!

Well, I KNEW what YOU were going to say, Darkbeer! :p Thanks for chiming in anyway!

hlbtimes2
01-31-2006, 01:50 PM
Nope, wouldnt spend the money on it.

We stayed at PP in Oct because we wanted it to be an extra special trip. The only thing it really added was a longer walk! Nothing against the hotel, it is a nice property, as is the Grand and DLH. But, how much time do you spend there? We spend very little! Spend the $200 on some nice things you can take home.

infinite
01-31-2006, 02:18 PM
I agree with the Goofy’s Kitchen idea, he will have a blast there! For an extra $5 (I THINK) you also get a bag of goodies, it has a Happy birthday pin, a cube/puzzle, a maraca and a cute pen shaped like goof’s head. I am sure contents are subject to change. They sing “Happy birthday” and bring out a cupcake with a candle! You don’t pay extra for the cupcake or the singing by the way, just the bag. All the characters will wish him a Happy birthday!

rentayenta
01-31-2006, 02:49 PM
I'd pay the extra and stay at the DLH. Staying on property enhances the experience for me.

That being said, I really like the HoJo too but nothing compares to staying on property. :)

MsYumiBr
01-31-2006, 02:53 PM
Did you apply for the Visa yet?

ILovePoker
01-31-2006, 03:25 PM
Stay at the Howard Johnson's. The on site hotels are overpriced in every way possible. Yes, you may get to swim in a pool but February gets tons of rain down in Anaheim as well. You have to ask yourself how much time you will be in the hotel as well. If you answer, just to sleep, then I would advise not staying at the Disneyland Hotel. Thing is, people visit the resort for the theme parks, not the hotels and I don't think that staying off-site would add anything less to a Disneyland experience than staying on property.

DangerMouse
01-31-2006, 03:29 PM
Did you apply for the Visa yet?

Yes, I did apply already, why?

DangerMouse
01-31-2006, 03:32 PM
I'd pay the extra and stay at the DLH. Staying on property enhances the experience for me.

That being said, I really like the HoJo too but nothing compares to staying on property. :)

Renta, even if you knew you were going to have a parking lot view? Is the experienced still enhanced? Not trying to be flip or anything, just trying to figure out what kind of enhanced experience I'll get for my extra 200 bucks. :D

potzbie
01-31-2006, 04:06 PM
Here is my take, and my preference.

This is my story with the Grand Californian, but you get the idea. -- Just plug in DLH accordingly, as your read my story.

When the Grand Californian went up and was open for business, and when I read the reviews, I thought to myself, "Just once. Just one time I'd like to stay in that hotel, just so I won't burn with curiosity for years and years."

Luckily for me, I had a gig (a convention) at the Disneyland Hotel, and I decided to blow my fee on a one-night stay in the Grand Californian, so that it essentially cost me nothing out-of-pocket (but my consulting fee was 80% shot therefore).

Was it a good choice for ME?
Yes.
Why?
Because the check-in was fun and exciting.
Because following the bell boy to my room was exciting.
Because the honor bar/honor refrigerator was exciting.
Because the door key card was exciting.

Everything about the experience was very satisfying and very memorable, especially since I knew what I was doing was not going to be done for the rest of my life, in all probability.

I wish I had stayed more than one night, and taken advantage of more things.

Now, YOU have a chance to finally stay in the FLAGSHIP HOTEL OF DISNEYLAND.
But an extra $150 (i.e., $50 vs. $200) stopping you???

For 2006, I would consider it an extraordinary experience and a one-shot experience.

Your child will be able to say, "Twenty years ago, when I was six years old, we stayed in the Disneyland Hotel."

And he won't be able to say that (and you won't be able to say that) for any year other than 2006, in all probability, for the rest of his/her life.

I bet KNOTTS BERRY FARM is cheaper.
I bet SIX FLAGS MAGIC MOUNTAIN is cheaper.
I bet SEA WORLD is cheaper.

If people are saying, "Save money!" then save money -- and DON'T GO TO DISNEYLAND.
Spend your money where you keep more money in your pocket.
Your money will got a LOT farther at LEGOLAND and LONG BEACH AQUARIUM OF THE PACIFIC.

But if you are looking an extraordinary experience, then do the extraordinary.

I am sure the HOWARD JOHNSONS is all very fine.
But in 20 years, will you look back and say, "Yes, I'll never forget Howard Johnson's"?
I will always remember GRAND CALIFORNIAN, even though I have stayed in DOUBLE TREES and HILTONS.
Why do you think I think MORE fondly of the GRAND CALIFORNIAN than all my DOUBLE TREE and HILTON experiences, conbined?
(CLUE: It ain't the sheets; it ain't the honor bar; it ain't the maid service.)

You choose.--What price is a once-in-a-lifetime experience?
Q. Is the extra $150 too dear a price for a lifetime-memory?

(Calculate the cost. $150.00 amortized over a year is $0.41 per day, or $12.50 per month. Is that debt too much risk to absorb?)

(I bet my bias shows.)
:(

bobster
01-31-2006, 04:34 PM
Potzbie and Renta have interesting arguments.

For me I have always stayed onsite, first at Paradise Pier, next two time at the Grand, and most recently at DLH. Since work and school relegate me to only going on school breaks. I stay on property for the purpose of getting enhanced fastpass. When it is busy I am convinced this save hours of waiting in line. Since I only go once per year (well now twice) I feel it is worth it.

If I had the chance to go when the crowds were not so bad enhanced fastpass would not be worth as much and it might be hard to justify the significantly higher cost of staying on property.

And there really is something magic about a Disney hotel, I think it is the small details that make the difference.

Now I wonder if I have painted myself in a corner and ruined any future off property stay. If I ever stay off property we will remember it as the one time we did not stay at a Disney hotel.

Just my thoughts to justify to myself why I spend so much money on Disney trips.

DangerMouse
01-31-2006, 04:44 PM
Why do you think I think MORE fondly of the GRAND CALIFORNIAN than all my DOUBLE TREE and HILTON experiences, conbined?
(CLUE: It ain't the sheets; it ain't the honor bar; it ain't the maid service.

Ummmmm, I'm not sure. Can you actually tell me why? I stayed at the GCH last June and did not find it any more memorable than the HoJo. Well, actually, I do remember that I couldn't fit more than a cracker in their "fridge/honor bar", that they charged me $11.50 for a newspaper I didn't want and that there were partying teenagers outside my courtyard window at 2 am. My dd really did enjoy the pool though. Not sure it was worth the $200 per night for a 45 minute swim.

Can you tell I'm leaning toward sticking with the HoJo? :D

kisroo
01-31-2006, 04:56 PM
Here is my take, and my preference.

Was it a good choice for ME?
Yes.
Why?
Because the check-in was fun and exciting.
Because following the bell boy to my room was exciting.
Because the honor bar/honor refrigerator was exciting.
Because the door key card was exciting.

<snip>

I will always remember GRAND CALIFORNIAN, even though I have stayed in DOUBLE TREES and HILTONS.

This was exactly my thought process, Potzbie (although I was justifying not only the Grand, but concierge.) :geek:
Both times I stayed there it was "worth" it to me. Will I stay there every time? Probably not. But when I *can*, I do and will.

"Worth" comes down to a lot more than $$$. I think you have to weight what you want, like Mammasilva said. To me, even 2 more hours might be enough to send me over to an onsite hotel. :p And, I'd have to agree that the experience of staying onsite is not lost on either an adult or a child. Like Renta, I think it just enhances the feeling of being at (and never really "leaving") DL.

I liked the Hojo as well and if you do stay there, I'd at least (pay slightly more) to upgrade to a parkview room.

Just my .02!
Have a wonderful time no matter what you decide.

~kisroo:)

disneyjunkie
01-31-2006, 05:18 PM
I always have been and always will be a fan of the onsite hotels. I have stayed in all 3 and loved them. I have stayed off site and everytime I have a family saying why are we staying here? why arent we at DLH or GCH or paradise Pier??????? I regret it everytime.
I like on site since I love the theming , I actually love the flowers and plants and walking inside the grounds looking at the shops and disneyland roses and the Koi fish and the pool. At the DLH we make it a point to sit at the outside Crocks Bites , Lost Boy area and relax and enjoy people watching and kids with their ears and balloons having a wonderful time. At the GCH we sit in fireplace area or outside on the outdoor fireplace area and enjoy the atmosphere. The pools are great even though it may be too cold but on our trip the end of November the pool was well used by guest burrr.........
I also enjoy the walk through Downtown Disney to and from the hotels , we very much enjoy the shops and the street performers. I think with me its kinda an inside the berm ( resort berm ) that I enjoy, once I get to the resort I am planted there , I dont want to see and or have to use my car or Anaheim resort transportation, I just want to be on my disney vacation emersed in the resort , I love getting into the parks early and it makes it easier to take an afternoon break. No worries about getting the car or transportation or walking around Harbor or Kattella to get into the park again.And I am thankful that every so often I am lucky enought to have my total Disneyland vacation.

kisroo
01-31-2006, 05:29 PM
I also enjoy the walk through Downtown Disney to and from the hotels , we very much enjoy the shops and the street performers. I think with me its kinda an inside the berm ( resort berm ) that I enjoy...

This is one of the other reasons I love staying onsite. Even if the walk to the GCH/PP/DLH ends up the same as an across from Harbor Blvd hotel, it just doesn't feel like it. :cool: You walk into DtD with the music, the fountain, the planters and stores...Ahhhhhh.......I wanna go back sooner than this fall!!! ;)

~kisroo:)

rentayenta
01-31-2006, 06:28 PM
Renta, even if you knew you were going to have a parking lot view? Is the experienced still enhanced? Not trying to be flip or anything, just trying to figure out what kind of enhanced experience I'll get for my extra 200 bucks. :D

You have a PM. ;)

MsYumiBr
01-31-2006, 06:35 PM
Yes, I did apply already, why?
It takes 30 days to process (which is why I couldn't us it for making my reservations). The card does give you priviledges for character greeting time. I don't know if that is connected to the resort or not. Oh, and staying at the resort is addictive.

T-RAT
01-31-2006, 07:25 PM
We have stayed off site twice, PP once, and at DLH once, (our second time will be in March, yeh!) We enjoyed all three of our first trips, but since we stayed at DHL last time (with AP rates) we can't wait to go back again! My kids (8 &10) love to go back the the pool everyday for a break, no matter where we stay. But the last time in November we stayed one night off site and the pool was way too cold to enjoy. Then we moved over to the DLH, and the kids swam everyday. They would have swam for hours and hours if we had let them. This next trip we aren't getting AP rates, but we will still go to the DLH, and can't wait to get there! The walk back and forth to the hotel isn't any shorter that some of the Harbor Blvd hotels, but it is much more enjoyable. I know we will probably stay off site again someday, but I won't reget spending the extra money this time. My real goal is to stay at GCH at leat once!

pisces
01-31-2006, 07:37 PM
Have you actually stayed in a GC room overnight? The room isn't mediocre, especially with a theme park view.

I've been very lucky, and don't even know where I found the money to stay there. But, I can tell you, I'm living off the memories, and I can spend whole hours/days/weeks meditating on the experience.....that more than covers the cost.

I would never accept a parking lot view, if it were a special occasion.

Have you looked into Paradise Pier? A theme park vew there might be less expensive than a parking lot view at the DLH. And, I think that would be very nice looking out over the sunwheel etc.

ILovePoker
01-31-2006, 07:45 PM
Ummmmm, I'm not sure. Can you actually tell me why? I stayed at the GCH last June and did not find it any more memorable than the HoJo. Well, actually, I do remember that I couldn't fit more than a cracker in their "fridge/honor bar", that they charged me $11.50 for a newspaper I didn't want and that there were partying teenagers outside my courtyard window at 2 am. My dd really did enjoy the pool though. Not sure it was worth the $200 per night for a 45 minute swim.

Can you tell I'm leaning toward sticking with the HoJo? :D
Yes I can. :fez: In my personal opinion, people go to Disneyland to enjoy the parks. Yes, the hotels are nice but the rooms are nothing special, still very small, with 2 double beds. I don't feel a room (especially the Grand Californian) is worth 300 dollars a night. The Homewood Suites and Residence Inn have full suites with kitchenettes for half the price. Especially when you have kids, I could almost guarentee they would rather be at the parks the whole day than a hotel. I think the hotels might be more suited to persons without children who might be at the hotel a little more.

If you get a really good deal, take the Disneyland Hotel but I wouldn't advise paying full price. :)

Sorry but I simply do not believe in some of the stuff the Disney hotels offer. I never have a desire to call room service when I can get it myself for a lot less and I like more bang for a buck when booking hotels there. A room with a large fridge is a must for me because we don't eat at the park often. We usually go to Costco in Garden Grove. (I also love Costco's smoothies, I can't get them in Canada but Costco's fries up here are amazing).:fez:

losaitkens
01-31-2006, 07:54 PM
I love the Disneyland Hotel. I also think that you might find your experience there different than GCH. I know a lot of people who prefer DLH to GCH because they just don't get that same feeling of "magic" at the Grand. We like Hojo's too but my daughter spent her 4th birthday at the DLH and was treated like royalty. You can use vacation planning to arrange special touches and they are also much more likely to upgrade your view if you are there for a special ocassion. I always ask for a room in the Sierra Tower, because you have Downtown Disney on one side and the Pool on the other. The last three times I stayed, they always managed to find me a room in that tower, even at the standard view rate. You are right- there is no guarantee they will do this but they really do try to meet your requests if they can and are usually very nice about it.

I just got back from a few days at the park (last minute trip) and we stayed at the Park Vue across from the crosswalk and while our walk was shorter, I missed the Disneyland Hotel and the atmosphere of Downtown Disney. We still had a great time but I have no great stories of amazing service to tell like I always do when I stay at DLH. I also really missed EE as 10am is a long time for my 6 year old to wait to go into the park. She was sitting at the edge of her bed,begging to go to the park and I kept thinking, if we had stayed at the DLH, we'd be there! Not sure what the hours are in Feb but you really can get A LOT done in that hour and both my kids are at their best in the AM so it really makes a difference for us.

Oh and the fridges at DLH come empty :-) I am surprised that cracker you stored in the GCH fridge didn't trip a sensor or something.;) I hear they are super sensitive.

DangerMouse
01-31-2006, 07:56 PM
Have you actually stayed in a GC room overnight? The room isn't mediocre, especially with a theme park view.

Yes, I have, last June. Did you read my post above? The room we were in was a courtyard view room. We saw the monorail go by every once in a while. The room was much smaller than the rooms at HoJo. It didn't have a fridge I could actually use. The room wasn't all that great, honestly. But it did have a comfy robe I wore for about 5 minutes.

My one good GCH memory was being able to get into DCA before any other guests for their special "Condor Flats Tour" and being the first to ride Soarin (there were 6 of us on the ride). The hotel didn't advertise this. I just happened to be sitting by the GCH entrance and overheard some other guests talking about it and they invited us along.

potzbie
02-01-2006, 07:21 PM
Can you actually tell me why? I stayed at the GCH last June and did not find it any more memorable than the HoJo.

For me:
In the years that pass, the dollar amount becomes more and more meaningless.
The extra $150 (or so) could have gone for a vacuum cleaner, a new recliner, a paint job, a tune-up, a brake job, or 10 CDs.

It is not the sleeping area, nor the square footage of my hotel room, which I remember fondly.
It wasn't the bathroom, nor the closet, nor the televison set, nor the towels, which I remember fondly.

If you are comparing rooms, then HILTON and DOUBLE TREE will always beat GC and DLH and PP.
If you want a superior sleeping area, then DO NOT BOOK A ROOM WITH A DISNEYLAND PROPERTY.
All the travel books (the stars ratings) will tell you that.

If money is of primary concern, then save money, and don't go to Disneyland.
Disneyland parks are overpriced.
Disneyland hotels are overpriced.
Disneyland sweatshirts and sno-globes are overpriced.
Disneyland food is overpriced.
Disneyland videos are overpriced.

You get a greater bang-for-your-buck by going to a Six Flags amusement park.
You get a bigger savings by staying at a Motel 6.
You get more clothes per dollar buying Disney-logo clothes at KMART and TARGET.

If all you want is roller coasters in a family environment, then KNOTTS BERRY FARM is far more suitable in quantity and quality, and far more cost-effective, than DISNELYAND.

But if having stayed in the Grand Californian, or having stayed in the Paradise Pier, or having stayed in the Disneyland Hotel, is still a thrill, and brings back the warm-fuzzies, then the $150 extra will have been worthwhile.

And if your experience was poor, then the $150 will have been a serious error and a significant waste of time and energy.

I am glad I stayed at the Grand Californian.
It was a very memorable experience that no HILTON or DOUBLE TREE experience can compare to.

But for those people who see no difference, then, for them, staying at GC or DLH or PP represents WASTE or INEFFICIENCY or MONEY THAT COULD HAVE BEEN BUDGETED ELSEWHERE.

If it isn't fun, then don't do it.
If it hurts to spend that much money, then don't do it.

Will I stay at the Disneyland Hotel someday? I hope so.
Why? Because it will be a thrill. Because it will be special.
And it won't be the thread count of the sheets, nor the cable TV, which gives me the warm-fuzzies in the year 2012 when I remember that stay.

It ain't the room.