PDA

View Full Version : super shuttle vs. resort express vs. cab

zandy
01-31-2006, 10:21 AM
Okay, so I posted a related question over in Parenting in the Parks, but I will make it more general so it will fit in here:
Our package came with the Disneyland Resort Express transportation from SNA to the Candy Cane. I have since heard that the DRE makes tons of stops and that the Super Shuttle is better. But in the user reviews I read some negative things about the SS. It costs $25 to change my reservation, in any case, and I'm wondering if it's worth it. We'll have a 7 y.o. and a 2.5 y.o. with us who will undoubtedly be tired of travel at that point, so I'd like to make it smooth, but don't want to waste money, either. Alternatively, how much is a cab?
Thanks in advance

Pat-n-Eil
01-31-2006, 10:28 AM
We've opted to go with the cab. Because the Super Shuttle charges per person, we've found that the cab ride from John Wayne Airport to the resort is just about the same.

Cabs are always available at the airport and you can ask for a set fee to get to the resort area. Last time we went it was just under $30 to get there for my family of four. I thought that was pretty reasonable.

We landed, retrieved our luggage, got the cab and were in the lobby of the Grand Californian in less than 30 minutes.

Darkbeer
01-31-2006, 11:20 AM
My recommendations

From John Wayne (SNA) or Long Beach, Taxi Cab, about $35 one way with a flat fee (both airports require the flat fee option).

From LAX, either a Rental Car or the Disneyland Express Bus that is run by Grey Line/Coach USA.

From Ontario, Rental Car.

As for taking a shuttle, you have the same problems as with the Disneyland Express, in that the shuttle doen't just pick up your family and go, it waits until they full up the van, seems like everytime I take one, they pack us in like Sardines, and there are many stops, as they drop off the others at their locations. On the bus, at least you have a seperate seat, just like on the airplane, and a bathroom (sometimes handy for families).

hlbtimes2
01-31-2006, 11:47 AM
Darkbeer- how about from Long Beach? We are going to be flying in there in early March. From what I've seen, and the price of super shuttle, I'm leaning toward a taxi. It will be 2 adults and 2 kids, staying at CCI. I've read about $35- 36 each way. Does that sound right?

Darkbeer
01-31-2006, 11:59 AM
Darkbeer- how about from Long Beach? We are going to be flying in there in early March. From what I've seen, and the price of super shuttle, I'm leaning toward a taxi. It will be 2 adults and 2 kids, staying at CCI. I've read about $35- 36 each way. Does that sound right?

It is $36 flat fee for a taxi from Long Beach to the DLR (posted on the official airport web site). The trip back is a bit more expensive, I have heard closer to $45, depending on traffic (no flat fee).

Great thing about the Taxi, no waiting, just get in the cab and go, plus you have no other stops (unless you ask the cab to stop for a grocery store stop to pick up supplies), and I don't recommend that, as there is a time charge. I would take the city bus once I checked into the hotel.

MermaidHair
01-31-2006, 12:30 PM
It is $36 flat fee for a taxi from Long Beach to the DLR (posted on the official airport web site). The trip back is a bit more expensive, I have heard closer to $45, depending on traffic (no flat fee).

We are flying into LGB with 2 kids and 2 adults and I have opted for a rental car. For 3 days our car costs $80. That is about the same as the cab rates posted by Darkbeer, less if you add in driver gratuities and any additional charges they may have for more passengers. hlbtimes2, I do not know how long your trip is but renting a car may be worth checking into.

SeansMom
01-31-2006, 12:49 PM
We are flying into LGB with 2 kids and 2 adults and I have opted for a rental car. For 3 days our car costs $80. That is about the same as the cab rates posted by Darkbeer, less if you add in driver gratuities and any additional charges they may have for more passengers. hlbtimes2, I do not know how long your trip is but renting a car may be worth checking into.

We've always enjoyed having a rental car. Then, you can easily pickup groceries, or go to one of the beaches or other attractions in the area. Our last trip it worked out really well as we needed to pick up an antibiotic prescription. Very handy! DO check, though, to see if your hotel charges a parking fee. Sheraton does, which wasn't a great thing (especially since they really don't specifically mention that anywhere!)

kimbopotamus
01-31-2006, 01:15 PM
I thought I would ask in this thread, does anyone know how much a taxi from LAX to the DLR area would be? I really don't like the idea of SS, so if I can get a taxi for about the same price, I would rather. Thanks in advance for any information!

Darkbeer
01-31-2006, 01:20 PM
I thought I would ask in this thread, does anyone know how much a taxi from LAX to the DLR area would be? I really don't like the idea of SS, so if I can get a taxi for about the same price, I would rather. Thanks in advance for any information!

A taxi from LAX starts around $85 for light traffic. Due to a time charge if the taxi isn't moving, it can get over $100 in heavy traffic.

hlbtimes2
01-31-2006, 02:15 PM
I just checked on car rental (expedia, travelocity and hotwire). Its about a $100 for an economy car. We will be there 3 days, plus a travel day on each end, so 5 days total. I dont think its worth if for us. We don't typically need a car while we are there. We tend to just make due with what we bring or can buy close by.