PDA

View Full Version : First timer ~ Dining Suggestions

jctimon1
01-29-2006, 02:07 PM
OK~my first trip to DLR is coming up on Feb. 20th (Presidents Day). I am hoping it won't be completely a madhouse. Oh well~If it is...it's still Disney. I am wondering if anyone could give any suggestions on dining. My husband & I are coming w/our 9 year old daughter. At WDW we tend to do one major meal a day & usually make reservations. Is this a good idea at DLR too? Are there any daytime character meals or really great places to eat?
Thanks for any advice!

DianeM
01-29-2006, 02:35 PM
The Blue Bayou is always nice. It's a lot cheaper to have lunch than dinner. If you want to sit by the water, ask for first seating for lunch, or I've heard that you can get seats by the water if you are willing to wait until a time after your reservation. Reservations are an absolute must. On a non-holiday weekend, you can get away with making them your first day in the park - on a holiday, you'll want to call ahead. I don't do character meals, but other's here seem to enjoy them. I generally plan for one big meal in the park and we drive to Knotts for take out one night, and other than that, we catch as catch can. I particularly like the gumbo in a bread bowl at the little take out window next to Pirates. Other than that, it's amazing how filled up you can get on churros and dole whip, really.

OK~my first trip to DLR is coming up on Feb. 20th (Presidents Day). I am hoping it won't be completely a madhouse. Oh well~If it is...it's still Disney. I am wondering if anyone could give any suggestions on dining. My husband & I are coming w/our 9 year old daughter. At WDW we tend to do one major meal a day & usually make reservations. Is this a good idea at DLR too? Are there any daytime character meals or really great places to eat?
Thanks for any advice!

Malcon10t
01-29-2006, 02:39 PM
Thanks for any advice!
Goofy's Kitchen is great for kids. So is the Princess Lunch. I like Pizza Port and French Market. RainForest is fun and just of the monorail.

kimbopotamus
01-29-2006, 03:58 PM
Rainforest Cafe gets my vote. HUGE portions, HUGE menu selection, and really great ambience. Certainly make reservations. If you call the Disney dining line, they will give you the number to call to make reservations there.

I too, will be there President's day weekend. I have my reservations for lunch at the Blue Bayou and a breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen in the Disneyland Hotel. I have been to Blue Bayou and I would suggest there for lunch instead of dinner. This will be my first time to Goofy's Kitchen though, and I am going off of the great reviews from other Mouseplaneters;)

Have a great trip, let's hope it's not too horribly busy!

MsYumiBr
01-29-2006, 04:08 PM
I would absolutely make reservations now if it's for Friday, Saturday and Sunday before the 20th. It may be a lot easier to get afternoon reservations by walk-up on the 20th but I can pretty much guarantee you that they will be booked on the three days prior. Make reservations for anything you may want to go to and if you don't go, at least you have the PSs. The first two times we went on Presidents' Day weekend for Goofy's Kitchen we were turned away. After that, I got smart and made PSs at the 60 day mark. No more disappointment. We walked up one time for Blue Bayou and had to wait hours! I can't stress how important it is to make PSs for the weekend prior. You will be there Monday so that evening should be better. Although people are going home, they may not leave until late or in the morning so I would not chance it. Keep in mind Monday is EE so if you are planning to do that, you may not want to PS for breakfast.

Susan L
01-29-2006, 04:08 PM
Here is a suggestion for you on avoiding the meal rushes. Eat early, lunch at 11am or dinner at 4 or 5pm. It has always worked for us on the crazy insane crowded days at DL. Always make dinner reservations in Downtown Disney wherever you chose to eat.

Stitch1404
01-29-2006, 06:52 PM
I was just going to ask a similar question. I have been to WDW 30 times and we are headed to DL for our first trip! When we go to WDW I plan sooo much and make a reservation for every meal as early as possible. How early can you make reservations for DL? What is the phone number? Is there somewhere that would have a list of all the restaurants at the hotels (we're staying at the DLH) and parks? Thanks for any help, I am feeling a little lost!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
01-29-2006, 08:40 PM
Blue Bayou opens at 11:30, and I recommend picking that time slot, if it is available, so you can have a better chance at a table by the water. AND then get there early, so you are there BEFORE the other 11:30 people. I wouldn't chance not making a reservation there, why waste several hours of your TRYING to get a table for lunch?
We ate at Ariel's before, when it wasn't just the princesses and it was good. Food was good, character interaction was great. But the next trip I am taking, it is just myself and my 4yo son, and I told him about Ariel's this time, and he said that was for girls. So, we are trying Goofy's. I will also take him to Rainforest one night, recommend that if you have never been.
Other places to eat that you do not need reservations are Whitewater Snacks in Grand Californian hotel, Rancho del Zocalo in Disneyland, Pizza Port in Tomorrowland, Village Haus in Fantasyland, Stage Door Cafe, and River Belle Terrace.

KDR
01-29-2006, 08:48 PM
For character breakfast, I really think that Storyteller's Cafe has it all over Goofy's Kitchen. It's one of my favorite restaurants in the entire resort.