PDA

View Full Version : How to get the best rates at hotels?

SpectroBelle
01-29-2006, 01:01 PM
I'm looking for some advice from the experienced Disneyland folks. I'm going to be there June 7 - 10th, staying 3 nights. The prices Disney quoted me over the phone were really high, even if I had an AP. Does it work better to make the reservations closer to your trip? Expedia's rates were even lower than Disney's WITH the AP discount! Any other tips? Is a AAA membership worth it? Or maybe a package deal? We will be in the parks for 2 days - Thursday and Friday.
Thanks so much!

p.s. We are WDW frequent flyers going to DLR for the first time! Woohooo!

Wendi
01-29-2006, 01:29 PM
I'm looking for some advice from the experienced Disneyland folks. I'm going to be there June 7 - 10th, staying 3 nights. The prices Disney quoted me over the phone were really high, even if I had an AP. Does it work better to make the reservations closer to your trip? Expedia's rates were even lower than Disney's WITH the AP discount! Any other tips? Is a AAA membership worth it? Or maybe a package deal? We will be in the parks for 2 days - Thursday and Friday.
Thanks so much!

Are you looking to stay on-site or off? How many people are in your party? My suggestion is to book a package through www.getawaytoday.com - they have the best prices around. If you find a good AP Nights rate during your dates, you can always purchase an AP for one member of your party if it works out to be a less expensive option, but I don't know that it would be cheaper for just a two day visit...

The Entertainment book is another good discount source.

SpectroBelle
01-29-2006, 02:08 PM
Oops! Yes, we are trying to stay on property, just for 2 adults. I was hoping for DLH but may have to go with Paradise Pier because of the rates. I will check that site, thanks!

Malcon10t
01-29-2006, 02:42 PM
Thanks so much!

Please remember, Expedia's rate doesn't include the "Resort Fee" which is about $12. Make sure you check if the rates you get quoted include this fee or not.

SpectroBelle
01-29-2006, 02:55 PM
Thanks for letting me know. For Paradise Pier Expedia gave me a rate of $165/night. Disney gave me $194/night, that includes AP discount! I was just surprised because I have seen others get much better discounts with the AP. :crying:

T-RAT
01-29-2006, 03:05 PM
It all depends on when you are traveling. We went the last week of November, (after Thanksgiving), and paid $89 night AP rate at DLH for Sunday thru Thursday. We are going again in March with grandma and grandpa, and the rates are a lot higher, since there aren't any special AP rates being offered in March. I don't know if you'll be able to get that great of a discount in June. Good Luck!

DangerMouse
01-29-2006, 03:46 PM
DLR hasn't even offered February AP rates this year. And for goodness sake, February is normally very much "off-season". I'm really sad because I wanted my ds to be surprised with the DLH for his birthday. At this point, the lowest rate I have found is $240 per night (no thanks -- I'll stay at the HoJo for $49). :rolleyes:

Malcon10t
01-29-2006, 04:32 PM
Thanks for letting me know. For Paradise Pier Expedia gave me a rate of $165/night. Disney gave me $194/night, that includes AP discount! I was just surprised because I have seen others get much better discounts with the AP. :crying:
AP rates for June won't come out til April or May. All they will quote you now is the 10% off rack rate. If you book the room now, then the better AP rate comes up, you can call and get it converted as long as you are at least 3 days out.

I Heart Disneyland!
01-29-2006, 05:14 PM
I found the best deal for my hotel (Homewood Suites) on their website. It's a 2 room suite for $119 a night. (You take a shuttle to DL, which is quite nice!)

kuusimo
01-29-2006, 07:06 PM
DLR hasn't even offered February AP rates this year. And for goodness sake, February is normally very much "off-season". I'm really sad because I wanted my ds to be surprised with the DLH for his birthday. At this point, the lowest rate I have found is $240 per night (no thanks -- I'll stay at the HoJo for $49). :rolleyes:

How did you get HOJO for $49? We are planning on Feb (not President's Day weekend) and the cheapest I could get was $99 through Mousesavers.

Lekta
01-31-2006, 05:25 AM
How did you get HOJO for $49? We are planning on Feb (not President's Day weekend) and the cheapest I could get was $99 through Mousesavers.

I am very curious myself. I have been waiting for months for the price to drop, but I cannot find it, any day of the week, for less then $99. We had to book the Carousel, and it ended up being somewhere in the $70 range. That any good?

Less then a month for me!

DangerMouse
01-31-2006, 06:15 AM
Sorry, I posted this yesterday. . .

The $49 is an Entertainment Rate. I booked early in October with Willie, and got it for a 2 queen room in Bldg. 2.

tinksmommy
01-31-2006, 11:01 AM
I keep seeing people with $39 and $49 rates at the HoJo - is this standard Entertainment rate with them? We are going in October and thanks to my mom have a free place to stay, but due to a booking error, instead of Anaheim, we are in Oceanside! But we have to be at Goofy's for a birthday breakfast really early (8:30) on Wednesday so we are thinking of staying in Anaheim Tuesday night. The HoJo is so well rated that it would be a steal at any price below $100, but $39 would so ROCK!

Thanks!

DangerMouse
01-31-2006, 12:30 PM
I keep seeing people with $39 and $49 rates at the HoJo - is this standard Entertainment rate with them? We are going in October and thanks to my mom have a free place to stay, but due to a booking error, instead of Anaheim, we are in Oceanside! But we have to be at Goofy's for a birthday breakfast really early (8:30) on Wednesday so we are thinking of staying in Anaheim Tuesday night. The HoJo is so well rated that it would be a steal at any price below $100, but $39 would so ROCK!

Thanks!

I haven't heard of anything low as $39 from HoJo since the 50th started. I think the $49 is the best you can get with the Entertainment card currently. And that is off season for a standard/deluxe room. Premium rooms go for about $65 with the Entertainment card.

tinksmommy
01-31-2006, 03:31 PM
Really dumb question, but with the 50th, you can never be sure: is October considered off season? And how early can you book and get these rates with the HoJo?

DangerMouse
01-31-2006, 03:36 PM
Really dumb question, but with the 50th, you can never be sure: is October considered off season? And how early can you book and get these rates with the HoJo?

Not a dumb question at all . . . the 50th has blown all norms out of the water. The normal off season hasn't offered off season rates at all since the 50th started. I'm not sure about their specific Entertainment Rate guidelines, but I think it works like this: they have a certain number of rooms that are allowed to be sold at the Entertainment Rate. Once those are reserved, they will say the rate isn't available anymore. I'm not sure how far out they will book in advance, but I normally try to book at least 4-6 months out. I always work with Willie Simpson by email and he is awesome about helping me find the very best rate.

losaitkens
01-31-2006, 08:16 PM
Last minute always seems to produce the best results for me. I have been watching rates for the past few weeks for the trip I just took and ended up seeing expedia slash their prices on the DLH and PP about two days before I was leaving. I also called DLR hotel reservations and was told I could get an AP rate on Sun & Mon night (1/29 & 1/30) of $89.00 a night at DLH or PP. We ended up getting a $50 room on Harbor at the Park Vue in the spirit of saving money but if you can have a back up plan and keep checking rates, you might find a good deal, even in June.

ILovePoker
01-31-2006, 08:28 PM
Thanks so much!

I would check www.disneyland.com, the rates they advertise always seem more reasonable then other places. I just happened to check expedia and the rates on Expedia are the same as the ones on the Disneyland website for the Paradise Pier at 160.00.

Lekta
02-01-2006, 08:22 AM
Sorry, I posted this yesterday. . .

The $49 is an Entertainment Rate. I booked early in October with Willie, and got it for a 2 queen room in Bldg. 2.

How would one, such as myself, attain such a valuable card?

Much thanks

Twilight
02-01-2006, 08:40 AM
How would one, such as myself, attain such a valuable card?

Much thanks

You need to buy an entertainment book (http://www.entertainment.com/discount/home.shtml). The card comes with the book. Prices for the book range from $25 to $50 depending on where you buy it and/or where you live. If you wait to buy one closer to your vacation you can often get it much cheaper. Note however that the 2006 book is only good until 11/1/06 and in order to use the card for this year your first night needs to be on or before 11/1/06.

Also, you can book a room (at least you can at the HoJo) at the entertainment rate without actually having the entertainment card. You'll just need to get one before you arrive.

Cheers!

mareed
02-01-2006, 09:04 AM
The HoJo doesn't seem to be making Entertainment rates available at all anymore. I have the $64 rate in March for a Premium Disney view room, but I made this reservation in May 2005. I've tried for an Ent rate for our upcoming June and November trips, but it's not available. I'm pretty sure the HoJo knows what they're doing and they'll probably fill the rooms at the higher rates, but I'll definitely be looking elsewhere, as I just can't see paying close to $100 a night.