PDA

View Full Version : Discover the Magic Tour Good?

cfrith
01-28-2006, 04:38 PM
Any comments on the Discover the Magic Tour? Haven't heard much about it. We have 2 adults and 2 kids (ages 4 and 7). Thanks!

lisap
01-28-2006, 06:52 PM
Here (http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm040610lp.htm) is a summary of the tour with some pictures. We took the tour right when it was first released; I'm sure there have been a few changes. Perhaps someone who has taken it recently can jump in.

bobster
01-28-2006, 08:48 PM
I did Discover the Magic with my 8yo daughter over MLK weekend. I have mixed feelings about it and can not really explanin why. There were a few glitches, not finding all the characters we were looking for, and the train was 101 so we had to walk to Toontown. With that, our guides Besty and Allison (twin sisters) were excellent and never missed a beat so the kids did not even notice when something did not really happen as planned. The tour offers character interactions that you really could not get otherwise. Though I may have had mixed feelings my daughter loved it and was glad we did it. Thats all that really matters. When I went there was only one other family with 2 daughters. Riding the carrousel with Mary Poppins, and the private interactions with Peter Pan and Wendy, and the Big Cheese himself were priceless. This was on our 4th Disneyland trip in 3 years, so for us this was a little different and maybe a nice little change. Was glad we did it, but not sure it is something we have to do again.
Hope this helps.

cfrith
01-29-2006, 09:19 AM
lisap, for some reason when I click on "Here" nothing opens.
Thanks!

stan4d_steph
01-29-2006, 09:47 AM
lisap, for some reason when I click on "Here" nothing opens.
Thanks!The link is fixed now.

cfrith
01-29-2006, 09:56 AM
We have a 4 and a 7 year old. Would this be too fast paced for a 4 year old? About how many rides do you go on? What if someone needs a potty break?! :eek:

bobster
01-29-2006, 12:03 PM
We have a 4 and a 7 year old. Would this be too fast paced for a 4 year old? About how many rides do you go on? What if someone needs a potty break?! :eek:

Not too fast paced for a 4yo, I think when I went the other kids were 5 and 7. You really do not go on to many rides, you do do a bit of walking but not really fast paced. That may be part of my mixed feelings about this tour, maybe I expected more.

As far as attractions go its the carrousel, Tarzan Treehouse, Tom Sawyer Island, the train from NOS to Toontown. I would not count Mickey's house as you go in the back way.

Potty breaks are planned, and there is opportunity for more.

nvmom
01-29-2006, 03:36 PM
I just told my dh about this and he's way more interested in spending our money on this tour than another character meal. I suppose our trip would be considered "budget" and we'll only spring for one "extra fun" thing. We did the Princess breakfast at Plaza Inn last Mar and had a great, great time. We were thinking of Goofy's Kitchen this time.

Would you choose this tour over a character meal? Our kids are 11, 8 & 3.5. Our girls love the characters, Max (3.5) is a little more hesitant. My dh says you still get a meal, character interaction, rides (yes, rides on the tour?) and probably some fun trivia and info.

Which would you choose?

nvmom

cfrith
01-29-2006, 03:59 PM
good question nvmom- I was wondering whether to substitute a character meal with this tour as well.

DangerMouse
01-29-2006, 04:02 PM
I'm seriously considering this in lieu of Goofy's Kitchen. I think my son would LOVE IT!:D

bobster
01-29-2006, 10:23 PM
Would you choose this tour over a character meal?
Which would you choose?
nvmom

Tough question. I think it would depend on what your plans, past experience, and expectations are.
For us on our trip, the 1st day was all about rides, from early entry till closing. So our 2nd day the change of pace to all about characters was a welcome change. We have done lots of character meals so this was a little different. The quality of the interactions is better than at meals or meeting characters in the park for the most part. Some are private and in any case they are playing along. You really do not spend alot of time on attractions (carousel, Tarzans Tree House, Tom Sawyer Island, and the train) and a 3 hour tour does cut into ride time. You do get to do some fun activities and will do silly things that you would not normally do in public.

So my thoughts, DTM tour great if you have done the character meals and want something different. Great if you have lots of time and want a change of pace. Great if you are tired of standing in line to meet characters. Not so great if you are trying to ride as many rides and meet as many characters as possible.

On a side note, before this trip I got a Disney Visa card. With the card you get a discount on tour tickets. If I remember right the discount was $10 per ticket. You also get an exclusive meet and greet at Aerials Grotto from DCA opening until they open for lunch at 11:30. When we went we were the only ones there. You also get a voucher for a free 5x7.

Tinkermommy
01-30-2006, 08:01 PM
We did it when it first became available. Things may have changed since then, but it was one of our best Disneyland days ever. They had us march up Main St. banging tambourines and singing the Mickey Mouse Club theme; we took "princess" lessons ("elbow, elbow, wrist, wrist, touch the pearls and blow a kiss"...LOL) before taking a special book to the princesses for their help. We learned to yodel (and Jessie came running); came up with our own bridge walk, which we had to do everytime we crossed a bridge; we threw up our arms and screamed while running across); dressed up as pirates, comandeered a raft to Tom Sawyer's Island, took over the fort, found Tom & Huck, who helped us find what we needed. I don't want to give away any more than that, but it was absolutely awesome. We were very lucky in that it was just my daughter, me and the tour guide.

There was a lunch break in the middle, so plenty of time for potty. Even though Mary Poppins was a no-show, the guide rounded up somebody else to make up for it. It was the best!!

nvmom
01-31-2006, 05:49 AM
It sounds like my kids would love it! I still think we'd have plenty of time for rides.. and we're a bit of a family of chickens, so there are quite a few rides we don't do. We'll have 4 days in the parks.

Does anyone know what the max number of people they allow per tour?
What did you get for lunch?

nvmom