PDA

View Full Version : Beach that meets my needs?

potterphreak
01-26-2006, 10:22 AM
Hey guys, I have a beach question for once, LOL! We are going in February and I finally convinced DH that if he took the Friday off, we could leave early in the morning and then go to a beach with the kids after checking in at our hotel in Anaheim. It needs to be within an hours drive of Disneyland, cos I don't want to spend a lot of time in the car after a 5.5-6 hour drive already, LOL. Would love for it to be friendly to the kids-restrooms, waves not super huge, sand not dirty (hahaha! you know what I mean-gunky sand), and we would love love LOVE to be able to have a fire as we have never been to the beach after dark (well, i did all the time when I was a kid but never with DH and kids). Thank you for any and all helpful responses. Actually, thank you for any responses that don't call me stupid. :D

MsYumiBr
01-26-2006, 10:26 AM
Fire pits? Newport Beach.

mcow1
01-26-2006, 10:34 AM
Bolsa Chica state beach

SifuJustin
01-26-2006, 10:40 AM
Newport is your best best. There are two piers : Newport and Balboa. If the waves are too big on the Pacific side of Balboa, go two blocks to the otherside of the penesula and you can go in the water on the harbor side (the water is pretty darn cold right now!).

There are some nice restaurants around both piers. If you go down to Balboa, they offer Harbor cruises and this is Whale watching season. You can take a Whale watching boat cruise for about $20 a person. It is pretty fun. I went last year at the very end of the season. Didn't see any whales but saw hundreds of dolphins.

Newport is very easy to get to. Take the 5 south, to the 55 south, it ends in Costa Mesa/Newport Beach. It is a nice place to spend an afternoon.

Me

potterphreak
01-26-2006, 11:13 AM
Thanks, sounds great!! I doubt the kids will get IN the water-CA water is cold in the summer, can't imagine it in February brrrrrr!! But would be nice to let them play in the sand and roast some weenies and 'mallows.

ILoveChurros
01-26-2006, 11:30 AM
I agree with socalSPY...Newport is the best beach. I go there to my friends beach house all the time and they have a good boardwalk, friendly waves, lots to do, great food around the area, and Fashion Island is not far away.

mckygirl99
01-26-2006, 01:33 PM
If you want the fire pits, check out Huntington too. I love driving up PCH at night and smelling all the fire pits! To get there take Harbor south to the 22 fwy west and exit Beach Blvd. Go straight down until you hit the water! I used to live there and it's about 30 minutes from DL!

Have fun!

SuefromRI
01-26-2006, 02:22 PM
I can't imagine what the water temp is in February. We went in August and were surprised how cold the water was.

MsYumiBr
01-26-2006, 02:54 PM
Okay. Now we are getting into a local beach contest. lol. Huntington is good too. However, Newport has more civilization at night. If you get too cold or hungry or whatever, you can just dump all your beach stuff into your vehicle and go to BJs (great pizza). Or, for amusement, go to the boardwalk. Huntington Beach is a little more spread out, although it *is* my favorite beach. I used to go there after work everyday with the kids to take a dip in nice weather. I can't remember the fire pits there though. I do know Newport has fire pits. I saw tons of bonfires at Newport last summer.

holgirl
01-26-2006, 03:21 PM
The best kids beach in Orange County is Little Corona in Corona Del Mar, it is a cove, no big waves, clean, etc. However, Newport has the pennisula fun. If you like seafood, try The Crab Cooker in Newport, and kids love the ferris wheel at the fun zone in Balboa. Newport Beach is only about a 20 min. drive from Disneyland, and the carpool lane goes the whole way!

potterphreak
01-26-2006, 04:46 PM
Fun zone at Balboa? <PERK!!!> What's this I hear? LOL I doubt we will spend more than 2 hours at the beach, weather permitting. What is this fun zone? Then again, maybe we should just hit the beach and then go to DL-THOSE tickets are paid for....LOL Gotta love a year of DL!!

Thanks for your info, guys, keep it coming!!!!!

jasonknapp
01-26-2006, 05:15 PM
The fun zone is a little permanent carnival (carousel, bumper cars, etc...). It's the *real* Paradise Pier. (Actually, the real one in my mind is the Santa Monica Pacific Park, but whatever.) Check it out at http://www.thebalboafunzone.com/

You should go now too. Most of it is going away: http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/healthscience/scienceenvironment/beachwatch/article_940410.php

ILoveChurros
01-26-2006, 06:43 PM
Fun zone at Balboa? <PERK!!!> What's this I hear? LOL I doubt we will spend more than 2 hours at the beach, weather permitting. What is this fun zone? Then again, maybe we should just hit the beach and then go to DL-THOSE tickets are paid for....LOL Gotta love a year of DL!!

Thanks for your info, guys, keep it coming!!!!!

If you do decide to go to Balboa Island you should try the frozen bananas, the best you will ever taste!

MsYumiBr
01-26-2006, 07:32 PM
Fun Zone is the Boardwalk I was talking about. It's a buy tickets for rides carnival thing. I love that place! You can take a mini trip on the ferry, sit on the car transport ferry to go round trip and just enjoy the water for $1.50 a person back then. This is my husband's idea of romance. lol. The boardwalk has a sort of teacup ride (drums I think. Watch out, they go fast and it's cramped), bumper cars, a haunted house thingy (dark ride), a bungee jump thing, a ferris wheel, great ice cream (Cold Stone Creamery I think), a carousel. My husband says it's the Balboa Pavillon. Of course things change over the years and we haven't been there in a while. But it is quaint and a cheap date. (Hence, my husband taking me there. lol!) Oh, and he adds that they have frozen cheesecake on a stick. Oh, by the way, he also is arguing with me on what the best beach is! He says that Huntington is a better beach and it will be easier to stake out a fire ring than Balboa. So, there's your answer from our family. Huntington for the beach and marshmallow roast, then head on over to Balboa for the evening walk on the boardwalk.

donaldquackers
01-26-2006, 08:51 PM
Well you learn something everyday. I've been going from Disney to the beach for many years. The last several years it seems to take longer due to lots of lights and traffic. Now I know there is a freeway that goes right there. I feel so stupid! I also like Huntington Beach the best. Newport beach and Laguna are beautiful but too hard to find parking. Dana Pointe is too rocky.

Disney is my favorite place. A beach is my second choice. I day filled with either or maybe even both is sheer heaven.

MsYumiBr
01-27-2006, 05:56 AM
Okay, now my husband and I are once again talking about the beach debate! He said, yes, it is easier to get parking at Huntington but I said there is a pay lot at Balboa next to the beach. He said you can do Balboa in about an hour, but no matter which beach you go to, you will have fun. I still say Balboa. He agrees it's more "cozy".

dlandnut
01-27-2006, 07:19 AM
I know Huntington has fire pits, because a few years ago we took the marching band (4 bus loads!!!) and roasted weiners and mallows. It was clean, fun, and easy to park. :)

potterphreak
01-27-2006, 11:41 AM
Do I need to bring firewood? LOL Showing my ignorance here....

HAHAHA!!

Thanks!!!

dlandnut
01-27-2006, 12:15 PM
Yes; bring your own wood, sticks, weiners, mallows, etc., etc.:) Another option at Huntington Beach is to walk out on the Pier and eat at Ruby's Diner, an old-fashioned 50's type diner that is reasonable in price, clam chowder, hamburgers, fries, freshly made shakes, etc. That way, you would not have to haul all of the picnic junk around. Plus it's fun to eat out on the pier, with great views. Any way, have a great time! :)

MsYumiBr
01-27-2006, 01:50 PM
Make sure you go to the bathroom before heading down the pier though. Ruby's does not have bathrooms. [Me, a 5 year old and a 2 year old finally get a seat, give our order, then the 5 year old says "Mommy, I have to go to the potty!" Never again.]