PDA

View Full Version : Leaving the Park for dinner?

Pages : [1] 2

kimbopotamus
01-26-2006, 09:28 AM
IT'S OFFICIAL! The plane and hotel are paid for! The tickets are waiting at the Disney Store, and my daughter has NO idea, hehehe! Myself, my two girls 2 & 9, and my Mom will be spending President's Day weekend at DL! Yay!
Well, my Mom is treating us to this vacation, and even though I have offered to pay for the food portion, she is a bit of a cheapskate who happens to LOVE Denny's (bleh!). She insists that we will leave the park all three evenings we are there to get a big 'decent' meal. That got me to thinking about the Parade of Dreams second showing. If it starts at 7:00pm, we are going to have a heck of a time getting in and out of the park aren't we?

ILovePoker
01-26-2006, 09:32 AM
Yes you will especially since you are going on Presidents weekend as well, don't expect to be able to get all the rides in.

stan4d_steph
01-26-2006, 09:34 AM
You could eat at Downtown Disney, or hit Whitewater Snacks in the Grand Californian Hotel. Those are "outside" the park, but still fairly close so you won't lose as much time.

ILoveChurros
01-26-2006, 11:32 AM
I'd go to Downtown Disney, but there is also a Mimi's Cafe on Harbor and a few other restuarants. Your best bet would be DTD though.

DianeM
01-26-2006, 11:44 AM
The prices at the restaurants near the park are astonishingly high, even at Denny's and IHOP. Don't expect to save a lot on food by leaving the park unless you are willing to get into a car and drive a few miles to an area where the prices aren't inflated. I save money on food by driving the first evening to Knott's take out and getting enough chicken dinner for two meals. The leftovers are stored in the fridge and enjoyed in our hotel room the next day. If you do this, you might want to bring plastic plates and some flatware, as well as cups (the little bitty ones they give you at hotels aren't very useful). Or buy sandwich materials and eat in your hotel room. Or order a pizza to be delivered to your hotel. Or... if you just want some nutrition without leaving the park, buy a meal at the park and share it. They charge a lot, but they give you a lot of food for your money. Many dishes can be shared.

As for getting back into the park... You might have a problem. When we visited last fall, the lines on friday night to get into the park were very long - about half an hour or more wait. This was "off-season", which doesn't mean as much as it used to. President's Day weekend will be crowded, and I would expect long lines to get into the park every evening.

Well, my Mom is treating us to this vacation, and even though I have offered to pay for the food portion, she is a bit of a cheapskate who happens to LOVE Denny's (bleh!). She insists that we will leave the park all three evenings we are there to get a big 'decent' meal. That got me to thinking about the Parade of Dreams second showing. If it starts at 7:00pm, we are going to have a heck of a time getting in and out of the park aren't we?

momuvseven
01-26-2006, 12:04 PM
Tell mom it would be lots more fun to have a big meal in the afternoon, you can leave the park, everyone can freshen up at the hotel and have a little rest then back to the park for the evening. This way you can go against the flow of the crowds. Lunch is cheaper than dinner anyways and just as filling. Your two year old will be much nicer to travel with if she gets a nap each day.

momuvseven

JookyG
01-26-2006, 12:21 PM
WARNING! Be careful when you leave the park on a busy weekend, and especially holiday weekend. My friends and I made the mistake of leaving in the afternoon for a rest in the hotel (not a resort hotel) on a Saturday in early Decmeber. As soon as we got out of the park, we saw the loooooong lines to get back in (all the locals coming in for the evening fireworks, I suppose) and realized our mistake. Unfortunately, we missed our dinner reservation at Blue Bayou. There was no way we would have made it back through the line in time, especially since they'd apparantly stopped letting people into the park.

I don't think the restaurants surrounding the resort are any better or cheaper than what you can find inside the park, unless you feel you need super-sized portions on your plate.

PrincessLeia
01-26-2006, 12:27 PM
I agree w/ the comment to get out of the park for a "linner" in the early afternoon ~ 2:00 or 3:00ish, rest at the hotel, freshen up...You will be much happier in the evening when you return for some rides and parade.

I would also suggest you pack some good (semi-healthy and substantial) breakfast foods or maybe you are staying at a hotel w/ a fast, good, free breakfast (like my fave Candy Cane Inn). Will you have a mini fridge or microwave in your room?

Also, call Disney dining if you haven't already to see about preferred seating reservations or make reservations directly at a DTD restaurant like House of Blues or Rainforest cafe. That way you won't be fighting the crowds. Make multiple reservations at mulitple times, that way you have options and if you decide "let's just have churros and corndogs on mainstreet" that's fine too!

You can have Denny's anytime! ;)

kimbopotamus
01-26-2006, 01:20 PM
Ahah! You are all confirming my suspicions and I am having my Mom read the posts too. "You can have Denny's anytime"....RIGHT ON! Our Hotel (I will not name as I am rather ashamed) does serve an excuse of a Continental breakfast, which will be good enough to satisfy my girl's in the mornings. I will be bringing granola, trail mix, water, etc. in with us for midmorning. I do have lunches planned as well....day #1 Turkey legs, day #2 Blue Bayou, day #3 Strips, Dips, N Chips in DCA. I will just bring enough morning snacks to where we can eat a BIG late lunch in the park and then just grab a couple of items in the park to share for dinners.
I was completely against leaving the park at all anyway, even to go to DTD, unless my little one needs a break of course.
What was that comment up there about not planning to ride everything?! Really?!? In three 16 hour days?

hlbtimes2
01-26-2006, 01:28 PM
What was that comment up there about not planning to ride everything?! Really?!? In three 16 hour days?

16 hour days go quickly in the park!
Especially if you spend time holding a spot for the parade, fireworks and F!. We spent almost 3 hours for the fireworks- over 2 hours before, then the fireworks themselves, then trying to get back out of the area. Spending an hour to get and eat a meal is normal, especially at peak times. We spent almost 45 minutes in line one night- and that was in Oct, non holiday on a Thursday!

mcow1
01-26-2006, 01:47 PM
Ahah! You are all confirming my suspicions and I am having my Mom read the posts too. "You can have Denny's anytime"....RIGHT ON! Our Hotel (I will not name as I am rather ashamed) does serve an excuse of a Continental breakfast, which will be good enough to satisfy my girl's in the mornings. I will be bringing granola, trail mix, water, etc. in with us for midmorning. I do have lunches planned as well....day #1 Turkey legs, day #2 Blue Bayou, day #3 Strips, Dips, N Chips in DCA. I will just bring enough morning snacks to where we can eat a BIG late lunch in the park and then just grab a couple of items in the park to share for dinners.
I was completely against leaving the park at all anyway, even to go to DTD, unless my little one needs a break of course.
If you're planning the Blue Bayou make sure you call and make reservations ASAP. 714-781-3463

tod
01-26-2006, 02:08 PM

There are two Denny's near the park and they are atrocious. They don't have to try, and they don't, and it shows.
Leaving the park, getting in your car, and driving to a restaurant is a pain in the butt. Adding a walk to a hotel makes it even worse. And it eats up time. You will pay to eat in either time (lost from the park) or money (eating in the park for the sake of convenience). Make your choice.
If you choose to take a midday swim/rest/nap break at your hotel, this would be an ideal time to get something to eat before you return.
If your mother is determined to go to Denny's, go to the one on Euclid and Lincoln (http://clients.mapquest.com/dennys/mqlocator?screen=map&link=map2&height=250&lat=338310&lng=-1179413&occ=US&sqlcnd1=%3d&sqlcol1=record_id&sqlval1=260&width=400&zo=92805&level=8&event=zoom&&MQDbPlace0=338310,-1179413,260,7448,210%20S.%20EUCLID%20ST.,ANAHEIM,C A,US,92802,714-956-9870,97111), about three miles from the park, a five-to-ten-minute drive. Take the Freeway back to the Park.
Check other threads for meal suggestions. Tacos mi Pueblo, Parri's Pizza, Buca Di Beppo, IHOP and other eating places all have their advocates on this board. Ignore posts about the Spaghetti Station, it was torn down a few months ago.

Hope this helps.

--t

kimbopotamus
01-26-2006, 02:16 PM
Thank you, yes I have made reservations for BB already!

I do believe I might have underestimated how busy the park was going to be. I went last year with just my 9 year old and in 4 days, we had more than enough time to do everything over and over in both parks (rode Screamin 7 times in a row, thank you!). But that was at the end of April, after spring break and before the 50th started and two days were weekdays. Also, this is my 2 year old's first trip and I have never been to the park with a little one. Now I'm starting to get nervous!!
I do know my way around the park very well and know how to use Fastpass and stuff. I am a freakish over-planner and have made daily planners to use as guides, so I am hoping that will help too.

While I have this going, how is the weather usually in February? I am from Oregon, so I already have 'webbed feet';) and have the ponchos packed!

ILovePoker
01-26-2006, 02:23 PM
Another good thing however though, unlike the last time you went, only the Haunted Mansion will be closed. Unlike last year where there were a lot more rides closed which increased wait times.

Here's a good graph on how busy the parks are during the year. Some parts of the gragp during off-season times are a little incorrect but the holiday graphs on the calendar are very accurate.

http://www.scottware.com.au/theme/feature/crowds.htm

Also be sure to click on Time of the Year. Since it is the 50th, the wait times may be a little bit longer but Fast Pass will make it a breeze. The chances of the park hitting capacity are highly unlikely.

kimbopotamus
01-26-2006, 02:27 PM
Cool, thanks for that link!

Oh, and driving anywhere is out....we are shuttling roundtrip, no car. I am going to do my best to convince my Mom that Denny's is a NO-NO:rolleyes: .

tod
01-26-2006, 02:40 PM
Oh, and driving anywhere is out....we are shuttling roundtrip, no car. I am going to do my best to convince my Mom that Denny's is a NO-NO:rolleyes: .

Take her to the one on Harbor just once for breakfast. She'll talk you out of going back.

--t

faithbaby
01-26-2006, 02:40 PM
I do believe I might have underestimated how busy the park was going to be.

Well...We'll be braving the crowds together! Like you, I figured 3 days should be PLENTY of time, even with the holiday. Maybe I'm mistaken? Oh well...We plan on figuring out the MUST DO's and do them early in the day and/or with FastPasses. As long as I get the MUST DO's in ONCE, I'll be totally happy!

Malcon10t
01-26-2006, 03:35 PM
Cool, thanks for that link!

*IF* you are going to exit the park to go to Denny's, skip it and walk the extra block to Mimi's. Prices are similar, and food is 10x better. The Denny's by the park is a good $2 a plate higher for everything than your mom is used to seeing.

MermaidHair
01-26-2006, 04:16 PM
Well...We'll be braving the crowds together! Like you, I figured 3 days should be PLENTY of time, even with the holiday. Maybe I'm mistaken? Oh well...We plan on figuring out the MUST DO's and do them early in the day and/or with FastPasses. As long as I get the MUST DO's in ONCE, I'll be totally happy!

I have not tried it but it sounds like this might be a good weekend for Ridemax. I know many people on the board have had success with it.

MsYumiBr
01-26-2006, 04:31 PM

This makes 3 of us. We will be there too. Pray for rain again!

kimbopotamus
01-26-2006, 05:28 PM
I thought of using Ridemax, but I don't like the way it bounces you all over the park. It seems like half the time is spent walking, even if it does balance out waiting in lines. I prefer the complete 'land' experience....conquer it, move to the next land, and so on:D

What about portable, good-for-kids type dinners IN the park? Any suggestions? Good price, filling? Something we can grab and find our seats for the Parade/F!? Something my Denny's loving mother can eat?:rolleyes:

Malcon10t
01-26-2006, 06:39 PM
I thought of using Ridemax, but I don't like the way it bounces you all over the park. It seems like half the time is spent walking, even if it does balance out waiting in lines. I prefer the complete 'land' experience....conquer it, move to the next land, and so on:D

What about portable, good-for-kids type dinners IN the park? Any suggestions? Good price, filling? Something we can grab and find our seats for the Parade/F!? Something my Denny's loving mother can eat?:rolleyes:
Pizza from pizza port? Or eat at Pizza Port and get what you want? We love it because the portions are large, and my daughter and I usually share. We get a salad, the chicken fettichini, and bread. Its around $16 for the 2 of us, and last time we couldn't even finish the chicken.

Rancho del Z... Its close to the parade routes. French Market? You get a salad and stew bowl for $10. Going to spend that at Dennys by DL.

nvmom
01-26-2006, 07:06 PM
Well I'm still a DLR newbie, but weren't impressed w/Denny's or IHOP across from the park. In fact, they were horrible. Terrible service, inflated prices. We could've eaten in the park for about the same money w/a little thought.

nvmom

Swhite
01-27-2006, 04:29 AM
On our last trip we stayed in the park for all our meals.

The way we look at it, you are already paying for a trip, why not eat where you want. You don't save that much, and it is exhausting to try and leave and come back.

Loved the catfish at Riverbelle Terrace and our meal at the Mexican place. We got to try out nearly all the eateries in Dland and had a blast.

I would insist on staying in the park!! The portions are large, make the kids split! Save that way. But, most of all HAVE FUN :D

momuvseven
01-27-2006, 07:28 AM
If you don't want to leave the park it is still possible for your two year old to get some rest. Make sure you have a really good stroller that reclines, blankets and change of clothes as well as plenty of toddler snacks and sippy cup. When the rest of the family eats somewhere like the plaza I always fill the sippy cup and have never had a problem. The baby center is a clean place if you need to change diapers or clothes and just need a break. Grandma and the nine year old can wait outside or in the lobby. The baby center sells pullups and diapers of all sizes for $1 each if you run out.
I would start as early as possible in Fantasy Land to get on all the rides that you can enjoy together and later once the baby is tired you can hit the other lands and take turns watching the stroller. She should like Buzz Lightyear and the Rockets in Tomorrowland as well. The Jungle Cruise, POTC and Pooh Bear are great rides for little ones too. Innovations is a great place to escape the crowds for a bit and to rest. You can take the stroller inside. We find that toddlers will sleep through anything including fireworks and loud concerts once they are tired enough. They seem to go on auto pilot when it comes to resting.
There are lots of fun places to eat in the park and I personally think they are not much more expensive than the Denny's, IHOP and other resturants nearby. The resturants nearby including McDonald's are so swarmed that they can be really unpleasant to go to. I would plan one Character meal so that you can get lots of pictures and time to meet the characters. Schedule priority seating to allow you to go on a few hours of rides first. If you have priority seating you do not have to wait in the long standby line outside. You would not have to buy meals for the toddler at all (no charge for character meals under age 3). Portions are big enough to share and you might not even need to buy any meals for your nine year old. My kids snack in the park and are too excited to eat big meals. We love the fried chicken dinner at the plaza and that is large enough to share with a child. The portions are big in the Blue Bayou as well and very, very good. Ask for and wait for waterside seating since it is worth it for the ambience. Try to eat at off times, not your typical meal times so it is not as busy. The mexican resturant in New Orleans Sqaure area has huge portions and we like the pizzas at Pizza Port. If you bring your own water bottles you can refill them all day and save a bundle. We always snag to go cups at the hotel breakfast with coffee, juice or whatever to enjoy on the walk to the park. Try the insulated sippy cup so that your baby can have milk or snag a to go cup of milk and put it in the fridge for later on in the day. We always grab fruit to go as well. You will find a better selection if one of you can go down to the breakfast when they first open. Take the tray from the room to carry stuff back in or even the ice bucket. Some hotels have signs posted saying not to take stuff back to your room but we have never had anyone bother us. We really scored recently at the Hampton Inn where they have a fantastic breakfast selection and then they have to go brown bag breakfasts for the taking. We ate our breakfast and then took the to go bags with us to the park for lunch. Years and years ago at the Fairfield Inn we had eaten and we were preparing snacks to take for the kids in the car, to go cups, fruit and pop tarts and the manager joked about our appetites LOL and we told him the kids got cranky if we didn't keep them well fed. He laughed and told us to take all we needed. That is the only time a hotel staff has ever said anything to us. We are not wasteful and take all we need and eat all we take.
We have ordered in Pizza and Chinese food to the room without any problems. They don't always include enough paper plates and forks though. We buy Subway Sandwhiches at the shop on Harbor across from Candy Cane Inn and those are always great to take into the park.

Have fun!

momuvseven