PDA

View Full Version : Mali-BIGHOUSE

Morrigoon
03-31-2002, 05:58 PM
So last Tuesday I was on the Maliboomer. My friend and I were just getting in one last "quick" ride before we had to meet up with someone. As we shot up the tower, someone on the ride dropped a rock. As soon as the ride finished the CMs went around all the sides asking who threw it, and basically yelling (or talking sternly in a loud, demeaning way, if you choose to call it that) at all of us. The one CM said "We're not letting anyone off this ride until one of you 'fesses up." They then proceeded to keep us basically prisoner on the attraction for 15 minutes while they called security, managers etc.

Now, I applaud how seriously they take safety, but their methods I take issue with. First of all, each tower is 4-sided with the guests facing outward. Wherever that rock came from, at least one, maybe two of the sides could not possibly have done it- yet all 4 sides were kept locked in. Secondly, they could have let us all off, then pulled us aside for questioning - 15 minutes behind a scream shield is NOT in any way a pleasant experience. And third, scream shield or not, CMs need to watch what they say in front of guests. Hearing a security CM say "they're already unhappy at this point and nothing you do is going to make them happy" to the other cm while discussing what to do about the 15 innocent guests on the ride is NOT good guest service.

Ah, and speaking of their "make-good": by the time we were released from the ride, it was 8:50pm. DCA closed at 9. They handed us a back door pass with Screamin' stamped on it. Keep in mind that my friend and I were supposed to meet someone at 9, and were desperate to get across the parade route before MSEP started @ 8:45 (so we were already pushing our timing trying to get across the parade route to meet our friend in the esplanade). Of course I took it to GR and got it fixed to be good in DL so I could actually use it, but the CMs should have given us a choice, considering the park was only open another 10 minutes and Screamin is a way from the Maliboomer.

So, attractions CMs: is imprisonment SOP?

Dawnie
03-31-2002, 06:27 PM
Scandalous....sounds like you have grounds for a lawsuit. :D

Morrigoon
03-31-2002, 06:31 PM
LOL... actually I was pleased with Pest Relations' willingness to change my back door pass to be good anywhere. (I think she was shocked that that was all I wanted and I was so nice about it). She didn't even question it, I explained that I couldn't use the pass unless it was made good for DL, and she took it and fixed it. Badda bing, badda boom. Kudos to GR cm. The attractions CM needs some guidance in how to walk the fine line between safety and poor service though!

Ghoulish Delight
03-31-2002, 09:57 PM
You handled it more calmly than I would have! I guess I can say one thing in their defense. They are not trained in security (perhaps they should be). They were probably worried that if they had let you off and tried to pull everyone aside, keeping the guilty party from bolting with 2 untrained CMs (I assume it was 2 CMs as usual) to 16 people might have been difficult. Their attitude, however, sounds attrocious no matter what the situation, and for that I would have noted their names and given them to GR.

Uncle Dick
03-31-2002, 11:11 PM
On an only marginally related note, has anyone noticed the new "shields" over the Maliboomer control panels? Now you can't see when the CM presses the flashing green button to launch you. I wonder why... :confused:

I never got the whole "make the entire group suffer for the sins of one" thing, but if the CMs were really so unperceptive as to not see where the rock came from, I can't imagine what else they could have done.

While riding GRR alone with a group of three young boys, "someone" on board fashioned a spitwad out of a soggy guidemap and threw it off the raft. After the ride had come to an end, the entire raft received a stern rebuke from a CM. At first, I was mad because I was just an innocent single rider trapped in the midst of a group of young ruffians. But then I realized that (a) the CM didn't know that and (b) the CM probably didn't care all that much beyond the fact that it was his duty to recite the "you're in trouble" spiel. Once I realized that he was just doing his job to the best of his abilities, I chilled and got on with the rest of my day.

Anyway, I know my situation wasn't really the same, but it is important to remember that most CMs are just folks trying to do their job. Except those security folks. There's something about them I just don't trust.... ;)

So, in conclusion, I agree with you, Morrigoon. :)

DisneylandKid
04-01-2002, 04:49 AM
A flying rock could have killed someone!

justagrrl
04-01-2002, 05:56 AM
If you're going to be mad at someone, be mad at the person that threw the rock and their companions who probably went right along with it.

I tell ya - the absolute stupidity of some guest never ceases to amaze me. Imagine if it had injured someone...

Fancy Pants
04-01-2002, 11:37 AM
It's kinda like those idiots who used to drop things from the skyway. Dangerous.

Morrigoon
04-01-2002, 05:54 PM
I do not debate the fact that the rock could have killed someone, nor am I mad at the CM for taking some kind of action - what I took issue with were his methods. That's all. That was a 6 Flags way of handling the issue, not a Disney one.

MonorailMan
04-01-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
I do not debate the fact that the rock could have killed someone, nor am I mad at the CM for taking some kind of action - what I took issue with were his methods. That's all. That was a 6 Flags way of handling the issue, not a Disney one.

True, this (to me) is a write a letter to City Hall thing. If I were locked under thoes "Scream Shields" for that long I would have screamed! :)

Also, this may never have me ride it again, think what if someone threw a rock, and as you were going down, it hit another person in another tower? :)

Nigel2
04-01-2002, 09:21 PM
Did they ever catch the person who tossed the rock? Also where would you get a rock in DCA anway?

tinkfreak
04-02-2002, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Fancy Pants
It's kinda like those idiots who used to drop things from the skyway. Dangerous.

Yeah, damn those people. ;)

P.S. I have no idea what you're talking about...

Whistling...