PDA

View Full Version : PeopleMover return?

SimpTwister
05-18-2001, 10:15 AM
Now that the Rods are gone, is there any chance that the PeopleMover will return?

I guess there are 3 options:

1) Rip out the PeopleMover track. Since the track is everywhere in TL, this would basically mean a serious re-working of many structures. $$$. It would also make TL look even more empty that it already does.

2) Bring back the PeopleMover. Has a major attraction ever closed 'for good' at DL, then returned years later (MSEP aside)? Though this would be very cool, it might come across as an embarrassing 'step backward'... Seems unlikely.

3) Just leave the useless tracks in place as a monument to the colossal failure of New Tomorrowland. DING DING DING! We have a winner...

Corith
05-18-2001, 10:41 AM
We can pretty much guess what is going to happen to the PeopleMover track. Look at how Pressler and Anti-Walt have acted in the past.
America Sings, Subs, Big Thunder Ranch, Plaza Pavillion, Skyway stations all just kinda sit while they plan a new hotel, food location, or shoppping location.

Presller is already planning another make over of the New Orleans merchandising, all the while letting large amounts of DL real estate sit empty (or falling apart).

Let us not forget that he and the Anti-Walt are spending s*#t loads of money on advertising for that heroin monkey of a park, DCA.

Napsto
05-18-2001, 03:09 PM
what about the coaster on top of the track?

Ralph Wiggum
05-18-2001, 03:22 PM
I think it should start out like the old people mover and while going through the buildings show the progress made in transportation and also show the star tours and space mountain as well....once into the open are they should cover the track with a dome bubble like on the jetsons and then speed up to speeds similar to rocket rods but with those banked turns all of you rave about. Best of both worlds!!

Lacrosse Boy
05-19-2001, 10:29 AM
Check my article out: The Future of Tomorrowland

SimpTwister
05-19-2001, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by mvshs2001
Check my article out: The Future of Tomorrowland

Uh... What article? Where?

mickeyfantasmic
05-20-2001, 05:07 AM
The 1998 redo of Tomorrowland has ben semi officially declared a failure! In the closing statement for the rods Cyhnthia Harris clearly said that the tech problems came from budget cuts! Admitting that on the main ride for the redo was great from her!
Plans are now up for a total rethinking of the land on a cross between WDWs version and what we have now...this means paint/coulurs would remain the same (autopia opened last year with this concept in mind) but but nothing will be decided untill after Atlantis debuts..if its a box office breaker look for a new E ticket ride in the lagoon...a new people mover and Buzz to come all together to Disneyland..other wise nothing for the track..lagoon closes (maximum some kind of motorboat cruise) and timekeeper coming from WDW!

Matterhorn Fan
05-20-2001, 08:10 AM
It's been a long time since I've been to WDW--what's Timekeeper?

SimpTwister
05-20-2001, 11:10 AM
Timekeeper is CircleVision with a couple of AA's added, including a Robin Williams AA that *looks* like a robot (on purpose).

Matterhorn Fan
05-21-2001, 06:13 AM
That sounds a little creepy. Guess I'll have to experience it for myself someday (I'm saving up for that trip).

mickeyfantasmic
05-21-2001, 06:56 AM
Timekeeper Debuted with EuroDisney (now Disneyland Paris) and in its Paris verison doesnt feature the voices of Rea Pearlman and Robin Williams althow the AA of timekeepr and 9 eye are identical to the Tokyo and WDW versions!
The big problem with Timekeeper (besides the fact that Pressler publicly said he hates it) is that, as most movie based attractions, after a bit it becomes tired and dated! the timekeeper movie "from time to time" has increbible and stunning 360° immages and is certainly the best circlevision film to date but disneys statement (which reminds me much of the one made for subs which always had long lines) of the attraction performing at 20% capacity theatres is ridiculus...Paris is older and performs at aprox 75%, vry low but not the 20% disney claims for WDW (but the number climbs down after 19:00 to 25%..as for every movie based attraction in Paris) therefore WDW cant be worst!!!

SimpTwister
05-21-2001, 12:25 PM
Isn't Timekeeper closing/closed at WDW?

If so, they should just pack it up and move it to DL, even temporarily... far better than all that emptiness.

mickeyfantasmic
05-22-2001, 12:12 AM
..its a plan..but with how things are run now at disney nothing is for sure!
Besides Pressler hates it and Cynthia Harris is for Buzz in that same location!

05-22-2001, 08:47 AM
Can someone please explain the appeal of the PeopleMover? Is it because it's a place to sit and watch people?

I never got that one. It was soooo sloooooow. Enlighten me.

Corith
05-22-2001, 02:07 PM
As a stand alone attraction, it was weak. But, that wasn't why it was there. The thrill of the peoplemover isn't what made such a beloved attraction. It was eye candy, just like the canoes or the keel boats. The Peoplemover was there to break up the skyline - to give us something to see, to give Walt's vision of the future that busy, hustling, look and feel.

It was part of the grand design of Tomorrowland and without it, the skyline of our "New" Tomorrowland looks dull, drab, and missing.

05-22-2001, 03:23 PM
Thanks for enlightening me, Corith. NOW I get it.

Uncle Dick
02-09-2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by 3894
Can someone please explain the appeal of the PeopleMover? Is it because it's a place to sit and watch people?

I never got that one. It was soooo sloooooow. Enlighten me.

It was a great place to relax just like the Tiki Room and Mr. Lincoln. The cheesy music added a lot, too. Beyond that, it was just plain fun to look down upon all of the attractions in Tomorrowland: Star Tours, Starcade, Space Mountain, Autopia, Circlevision, Monorail and Submarine Voyage. And, of course, the World of TRON was a hoot.

I doubt there's any chance of the Peoplemover returning in a form resembling it's old self, but I wouldn't mind a slightly sped up Peoplemover that features a new design.