PDA

View Full Version : Hotel Selection Help [Condition of DL Hotel]

imaginetr
01-24-2006, 01:33 PM
Hi! First timer here. Just registered. Great board! We're Planning a trip either May or Sept. We wish to stay at the Original DisneyLand Hotel. I've read many reviews at various sites. Mixed reviews. The poor reviews give the impression that the Original DisneyLand Hotel is a bit run down and showing it's age. I've read that it is however, an extension of the DisneyLand experience and with two young daughters, that's what we want. However, if it's cracking, or dirty, or dingy or worn out or faded it might not be as good as just staying at the Grand Californian and just experiencing the park. But I'm hopeful the DisneyLand Hotel has had some remodelling or renovations to keep it in top form. Can anyone tell me if it is in great, medium or sad condition? Any other tips and input would be great! Cheers!

MsYumiBr
01-24-2006, 01:50 PM
I could swear they replaced the railings around the stairwell of the Sierra Tower. They have shiny gold pieces. I don't remember that from our trip last year. Do you remember what they said was faded, dingy, etc.?

imaginetr
01-24-2006, 02:01 PM
Many of the poor reviews were at Tripadvisor.com Specifically one noted the pool was in poor shape and the pool lounge chairs were old. Others said the rooms themselves were mediocre and even dirty. I used the word "dingy" as it's the impression I got from the reviews. My old college roomie visited in 2003 and he also said it was a showing it's age.

MsYumiBr
01-24-2006, 02:08 PM
I was there two weeks ago, last July, Last February and the time before that would be 17 years ago. I can tell you I totally understand the whole showing its age kind of thing. However, with their furniture, wallpaper, fixtures and such, it's looking pretty good! I like it better than GCH. But if you want 4 Seasons Resort kinda thing, go for GCH. DLH is getting there but hasn't got there yet. Oh, and the Sierra Tower also has a new lampshade, GCH-esque in the lobby.

DisneyMa
01-24-2006, 02:26 PM
DH and I decided to splurge one year in 1994 and book our stay at the Disneyland hotel after years of booking at one of the Good Neighbor Hotels. We were going to stay at that hotel just the one time as a special treat.

Well, about the third day of our five day stay DH states we are NEVER staying anywhere else but the Disneyland Hotel. We fell in love with the feeling of staying in Disneyland. This was before the install of the Peter Pan Swimming Pool, and other changes to the hotel, but it was still nice back in 1994 as it is now. There are a number of things to do at the hotel as well as some really nice places to eat with great food. We have been back about once a year since then.

We have also stayed at the GCH four different times. Great Hotel! We enjoy staying there as well. However, we have a four day stay booked at the Disneyland Hotel next week and another six day stay booked for May at the Disneyland Hotel. Our choices are between the two (GCH & DLH). It all depends on the best deal we can get at the time between the two hotels.

We have had really clean rooms at both the GCH and the DLH and we have had some dirty rooms at both the hotels. During the summer time (Peak) At both hotels we have had to ask housekeeping to come back and change the sheets on the beds as they had not been changed after the people who had checked out that same day, before us.(don't ask, you can tell). This has only happened during the busy seasons although, it should never happen. We have had EXCELLENT SERVICE at both Hotels as well as a few encounters with the "moody" CM's, who make you feel as though your wasting their time at both hotels. 99% of the time the CM are GREAT and even go out of their way to make your stay as Wonderful as it can be. Our family loves both hotels and will only stay at one of the two hotels.

Our DD is 2 1/2 and loves the fish and the Pixie Dust (in the guest rooms) at the DLH, and she loves the Piano Player and the fire place at the GCH. They are both Great Hotels. We love to stay on the Property. I will be honest...The GCH is always our first choice and the DLH is our second. We now go several times a year and stay at both. HTH

Hope you and your family have fun with your stay at the hotel of your choice.

Disneyma

imaginetr
01-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Thank you for sharing your experience. I know CM's can have 'off days' too so I don't count that as a terrible strike. Unchanged bed sheets is another thing altogether, but that's also a reflection of an indivdual and not the necessarily the Hotel. (not necessarily). So it sounds like wherever the better deal is at the time might just be the deciding factor. That's a relief. I won't trouble myself then with the multitude of details to check on. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Susan L
01-24-2006, 07:56 PM
I will say this about the DLH. Yes, it is an older hotel but, if you have little ones this is the hotel to be at. Your girls will love it.

ssturgeo
01-25-2006, 06:27 AM
Stayed at the DLH in June and November of 2005..7 nights one trip, 8 nights the other.

From booking, check-in, the entire stay, checking out, and any other extras I requested, set up ahead, or needed during my stay....everything was perfect.

Honestly, I could not tell you if the carpet was worn or not...I am always so happy to be there, feel like I am "home"...and the Tink/Pixie dust/Mickey Hands lamps, etc., etc. make me feel as if it is just an extension of my park experience. My 13 year old granddaughter feels the same!

The pool was clean, chairs were in good shape, plenty of towels, etc.

Feel free to e-mail me privately if you have any specific questions.

MsYumiBr
01-25-2006, 06:35 AM
You are all right about the fact that when the hotel is busy, things get neglected. I have had a better experience with concierge service. I don't get that forgot about feeling with them. (Although there was one day but I think something happened.) I know that the sheets don't get changed every day and if you want that, you need to let them know. A lot of people don't spend that much time in their rooms so they don't notice stuff like that. Also, if you want anything, you need to tell them during off times. When everyone is at the hotel, you can't get through to room service, bell hop or the front desk! So, plan ahead. If you go back to the hotel in the afternoon, call room service and order dinner or whatever you may need. Take the bags yourself to the bell hop or take the bags to your car yourself. (I wouldn't want to do this because I am afraid of break-ins.) If you want something like a coffee pot or whatever, request it when you make your reservation. They put that stuff in your room at about 5:00 so if you get there before then, don't freak if it's not there, including baskets. If you need extra blankets, etc. call when you get to the room. You may want to order room service at that time too for delivery at a certain time. Everyone else will be heading for the park. Otherwise, you are out of luck and sitting on the phone forever. That is not the way I want to spend my time at DL. I hope this helps.

ssturgeo
01-25-2006, 06:48 AM
Forgot to mention also....my sheets, towels, etc., were changed everyday, had enough towels for a couple of more people!! I DO tip daily, rather than at the end...perhaps this made a difference? But, I went back down to the desk and requested a coffee pot when I got to the room and noticed there was not one, and told them there was no hurry (was around 11:00 a.m.) since I would not need it until the next morning....it was in my room before I could get back upstairs!

Baskets, which I arranged with VP ahead of time, were in the room on the days and times they were supposed to be.

Bell hops were available to take my bags to the room both trips when I needed them taken...and upon checking out, I did call the morning before to arrange a time for them to be there to take them down, since I was using a shuttle service and wanted to be sure to be down there on time...and they were there at the time I requested.

We only used room service once...for a breakfast in the room...and again, no problem, but did arrange for it the night before.

Also had my first experience with Concierge this past Nov. trip, just one night in the Princess Diaries room ... and the CM's in the lounge were super...showing me around, letting me know what all was available, etc. Turn down service and another basket, exactly on time.

And...we arrived around 11:30 from the airport....and not only did they let us check-in and go the room immediately, we got an upgrade from what was booked.

Goofy was in the lobby several times, which delighted the children!!

MsYumiBr
01-25-2006, 07:01 AM
Wow. We want to vacation with SSTURGEO. lol.

Tinkermommy
01-25-2006, 08:49 AM
We stay at the Disneyland Hotel every year for my daughter's birthday. (We're booked for March -- yay!) It's older, but I've never felt like it was dingy or rundown. We love it for the reasons that have already been mentioned -- the ambiance, the views (the Neverland pool is wonderful!), and because there is nothing like going to sleep with Tinker Bell flying around your walls. Goofy has almost always been in the lobby when we've checked in or out.

We stayed there for two nights for the 5/5/05 "experience" and as busy as they were, we still received excellent service. We had to move rooms twice -- once because our room was in a remote corner on a low floor with a rooftop right outside and I felt vulnerable with just my daughter and I; the second time because there was some kind of college marketing program convention going on and the people around us were drunk, loud and obnoxious -- throwing drinks off the balcony, climbing across balconies -- yikes! Both times, they moved us IMMEDIATELY, and were very apologetic.

That was unusual, though; all of our other stays have been wonderful. They always give my daughter a big balloon bouquet, and, of course, the birthday badge -- and even the maid left her something once.

We splurged for a concierge room once. It was expensive, but we ate in the lounge enough that the extra we spent on the room was pretty much balanced by what we saved on food.

The best part, though, is that Tinker Bell always sneaks into our room while we're sleeping and leaves a little birthday gift for my daughter. One year, she slipped a silver Tink necklace on her new Build-a-Bear, which was still in its box. I will NEVER forget her face when she found it around the bear's neck the next morning. I hope Tink remembers to come in March!

SandraVB79
01-26-2006, 03:23 AM
The best part, though, is that Tinker Bell always sneaks into our room while we're sleeping and leaves a little birthday gift for my daughter. One year, she slipped a silver Tink necklace on her new Build-a-Bear, which was still in its box. I will NEVER forget her face when she found it around the bear's neck the next morning. I hope Tink remembers to come in March!

Now that's a reason to stay there!! And how do you let Tink know where she has to be? You write her a letter like you write a letter to Santa Claus?? ;)

nvmom
01-26-2006, 09:11 AM
Aww, I want Tinkerbell to sneak into my room. :) Do you think she knows where the Candy Cane or Park Inn are??

nvmom

Tinkermommy
01-26-2006, 09:33 AM
And how do you let Tink know where she has to be? You write her a letter like you write a letter to Santa Claus?? ;)

Nah, Tink just knows. (Occasionally, she also flies into our house when we're not looking or not around. We know when she's been there because my daughter finds traces of Pixie Dust on her nightstand.) These things just happen when you believe in fairies.

We keep a little fairy house that my daughter made, just in case Tink ever needs a warm, safe place to stay, to show our appreciation...

OldDisneyFan
01-27-2006, 10:10 PM
We stayed at DLH in October -- Sierra Tower, view of pool (which the kids enjoyed every day, including the rainy one), Goofy in the lobby to greet us, very nice help at check-in, friendly staff, clean, big room, all the Disney touches, early entry, --all in all, staying there made the experience a total Disney time! Also, we noted that you couldn't hear people in the next room - yay.

MsYumiBr
01-28-2006, 07:12 AM
I should also mention that we stayed in the same room at the DLH in July as our trip in February. In February, there was a musty smell in the room (possibly due to all the rain), the carpet was soggy next to the sliding glass (maybe I shouldn't have opened the window during the rain), the furniture had kid markings on them and the bathroom had peeling wallpaper. In the customer satisfaction survey that they had in the room, I mentioned all these things. They sent me a thank you for mentioning these things because they would not know about them if someone didn't tell them. When we stayed in the room in July, ALL of the things I mentioned were remedied. How they got rid of the musty smell is beyond me. It probably dried out. The wallpaper was fixed to the point that I couldn't tell where it was peeling. The furniture markings were removed. What did they do, refinish them? What I am trying to say is if you stay at the hotel and find things un-Disney-like, tell them about it in the customer survey so they can remedy the problem. I was totally amazed that all of my comments were listened to. It is truly an awesome hotel.