PDA

View Full Version : DLR Ticket Windows

Darkbeer
03-31-2002, 04:22 PM
I have seen the pictures, plus the actual "blue" lines themselves in the esplanade expanding the ticket queues. Why is Disney making people wait so long to buy tickets????

They come up with FastPass, which supposely gets you out of line so you can spend money on food and drink, but when you want to pay them to get in, they make you wait sometimes over a half-hour???? Is that not a half-hour less in the park being able to buy food and drink???

They just increased the ticket prices, have cut back on the park hours plus attractions and shows, but still make you wait to pay to get in.

Is this not a bad "first impression"???

I know this is spring break, but won't they have the same size crowds for the Summer season???

Why not add additional ticket booths, heck the one by the Monorail enterance is three windows, and not that big, placing a few of those around the sides of the esplanade would be nice...

If not new ticket windows, how about Automated Ticket machines, heck, they sell tickets on the internet, why not sale full priced one day, park hoppers and annual pass tickets in ATM-like machines??? They could set up a bank near each of the two park enterances, and take credit cards and cash (Just like the ARCO Pay-Point machines), and give the change in Disney Dollars...

Or how about some additional assistance in the current lines....

I remember years ago, when you drove into the park, you were handed a flyer explaining your different ticket options, they no longer do that, many people do have AP's or Previously Purchased Multi-day passes, but how about a flyer handed out when you get in line, so when you actually get to a ticket window, the process would be faster....

Or do something like I have seen at K-Mart. When the lines get long, someone comes out with a portable scanner and a stack of reusable cards with a barcode on it. They scan the card, then all the items in the cart, when you get to the actual cashier, all he/she does is scan the card, and all your purchases show up, so all you have to do is pay.

When they had the AP upgrade situation, CM's had Palm Pilots to figure out your "credit" to apply to the new AP, and the CM also explained the different opitions. Why not do the same for the ticket lines in the esplanade, have CM's taking orders, oh, you would like 3 adult 3-day park hoppers, and two kids (the CM could explain and verify the kids ages) versions. Hand the guest a voucher/card, so when the guest got to the window to pay, all he/she would have to do is present the voucher and payment.

Why hasn't Disney addressed this problem with guest service????

Morrigoon
03-31-2002, 05:27 PM
I love the ATM idea. It clashes with the supposed "personal service" aspect of DLR, but then, the company isn't sticking to it anyway. Better to have the impersonal automated system than have guests get angry and sunburned just waiting in line for their turn at the personal service version. They have that whole unused area between the tram stop and the ticket booths, how about setting up a few touch-screen kiosks there for ticket sales? That way, only guests using cash or getting special discount tix (such as the socal "deal") would need to go to the ticket booths. All regular credit card/ATM deals could be done by kiosk.

all4thx
03-31-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Darkbeer
I have seen the pictures, plus the actual "blue" lines themselves in the esplanade expanding the ticket queues. Why is Disney making people wait so long to buy tickets????

Why? Quite simply, why. It is spring break and this happens to be a VERY BUSY spring break. The resort has been unusually busy this past week. It is expected to be busy, but it has been very crowded.

Disney has more ticket windows than they have ever had before so there are plenty. You can never have enough when you have crowds of this size so it is just a fact that people are going to have to wait.

If this were a regular occurance then I would concur that they have a problem, but it is not.

Originally posted by Darkbeer
Why hasn't Disney addressed this problem with guest service????

Disney has addressed this issue in plenty of ways.

Disney allows you to purchase your tickets in advance on their web site. You can buy your tickets online and have them sent to your house.

Disneyland Resort Hotel guests can purchase their tickets at their hotel.

If your stayin near Disneyland you can stop by a day in advance and purchase your tickets in the evening or afternoon when it is less crowded.

You can also purchase your tickets at your local Disney Store.

Further, I have seen Disneyland tickets sold through employers.

There are other options for guests visiting the park so long as they plan ahead.

Of course you can also get up earlier and arrive before the crowds do. The lines get long around 9:30 a.m., so arrive at 8 a.m. when the park opens. If you arrive during "prime hours" that is your own problem and you should expect to have to wait in line. Personally, I dislike getting up early so I choose to arrive later in the day.

Darkbeer
03-31-2002, 09:03 PM
Why? Quite simply, why. It is spring break and this happens to be a VERY BUSY spring break. The resort has been unusually busy this past week. It is expected to be busy, but it has been very crowded.

I was there on Thursday, DCA was very quiet, walkons in most places, Screamin' was less than a 15 minute wait. At the DEp, you could walk right up and get a front row seat at parade time.

Disneyland wasn't that much busier.....

Disney has more ticket windows than they have ever had before so there are plenty. You can never have enough when you have crowds of this size so it is just a fact that people are going to have to wait.

DLR also now has TWO parks, not just one. And why is it a "Fact", if you want to give good guest service, you don't make people wait a half-hour to pay you. Why has Fast-food places added second drive-thru windows to be used in peak times, this is a NEW feature added in the last few years, to give the guests what they want, BETTER and Faster service. As for "Plenty", wait a half-hour, and then be asked if there are PLENTY of ticket windows.

If this were a regular occurance then I would concur that they have a problem, but it is not.

So what happens this summer???? Are not Spring Break and Summer attendance about equal???

Morrigoon
03-31-2002, 09:04 PM

I'd love to see the numbers on that, because it doesn't sound right. Keeping in mind that each of the old booths had 2 windows, is this really true?

Even then: they need to actually have all those windows open for a change. (Not that I care, since I have an AP, but still they ought to)

Ah, and I'd like to add the point that they also have 2 parks... even if there are more ticket windows, how's the window to park ratio? Smaller I'm sure.

I like the ATM kiosk idea.

Simba
04-01-2002, 08:42 AM
The ATM Kiosk idea sounds great. They've got 'em at movie theaters everywhere now too and they really help out all those people who don't need special service, just the run-of-the-mill tickets. And as far as "the personal touch" is concerned... Disney could very easily theme the kiosks to make them all cutesy and Disney and hi-tech looking and nobody would think twice about wanting personal service. Heck I'd pick not having to stand in a 30-minute ticket line (http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraida/p7981dc5b9b932e31cb0f00a9e32b6740/fdd5fd28.jpg) over getting personal service any day.

Simba

Nigel2
04-01-2002, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon

I'd love to see the numbers on that, because it doesn't sound right. Keeping in mind that each of the old booths had 2 windows, is this really true?

Even then: they need to actually have all those windows open for a change. (Not that I care, since I have an AP, but still they ought to)

Ah, and I'd like to add the point that they also have 2 parks... even if there are more ticket windows, how's the window to park ratio? Smaller I'm sure.

I like the ATM kiosk idea.

I think there use to be like 14 booths (might be 15 if I didn't count the AP booth) so there were 28-30 windows that could be open. Now all someone has to do is count how many they have now (BTW are the booths on the other side open or not?)

driftwood714
04-01-2002, 09:31 PM
There are currently 64 ticket windows. Also there are about 3 windows at the Monorail Booth and about 8 at "Guest Services".

HBTiggerFan
04-01-2002, 10:01 PM
They need to open more booths when the lines are longer...close them when the lines are shorter. Thats what retail stores do, works well. The booths on the other side, the side near the LK Trams is open sometimes and the lines can be considerabiltly shorter. But remember, whatever line you pick, it will be the slowest. :D

Nigel2
04-01-2002, 10:31 PM
Where do you shop that has the policy of more people means we need more checkers?:D
My personal favorite is comp usa since they know sundays are busy days for them but they only have 1-2 checkers.:rolleyes:

tabacco
04-01-2002, 10:51 PM
Never never never stand in line at the entrance booths. Walk down to the monorail booth and wait 3 minutes or less.

HBTiggerFan
04-02-2002, 06:40 PM
Nigel,
I worked at Longs and 3 people or more in line required another checker. Some of the other stores I shop at: Vons, Ralphs, they open more lines....

Tabacco, I waited about 20 minutes in the Monorail line several times...

tabacco
04-02-2002, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan

Which window did you wait for? The middle window is guaranteed to have a much longer wait than the one facing the turnstiles, since it sells Lion King tickets.

Nigel2
04-03-2002, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan
Nigel,
I worked at Longs and 3 people or more in line required another checker. Some of the other stores I shop at: Vons, Ralphs, they open more lines....

Ah, I was thinking more of a non food place like a department store or a best buy or borders kind of place where the line could have 50 people in it and they don't care.:rolleyes: :D

tabacco
04-04-2002, 07:20 AM
The thing with Vons, Longs, etc. is that they actually have the people on hand to open more registers on a whim. Disney can hardly pay M.E. castmembers to just sit around backstage and wait, on the chance that they'll need to open more ticket windows. Neither the resort nor the castmembers would be happy with that.

WizKidRyan
04-04-2002, 06:30 PM
As far as ATM ticket dispensers go, Tokyo Disneyland Resort uses those, at least i'm 90% sure. I have a photo of the machines somewhere. It looks like a row of 10 or so bank ATMs. Pretty spiffy if you ask me :)