PDA

View Full Version : New Chinese Buffet with All you can Eat Crab Legs opens just south of the DLR

Pages : [1] 2

Darkbeer
01-24-2006, 05:59 AM
Had dinner there last night, gets a Thumbs Up! from Deogge's Mom and me:fez:

On Harbor in Garden Grove, so easy to get to by car or bus (route 43).

Just $13.25 per Adult including drink and tax.

Full prices and photos are available at this link.

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1151153

StyledSugar
01-24-2006, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the pics! We love chinese buffets so we might just have to check this place out when we're there. Thanks. :)

ILoveChurros
01-24-2006, 10:49 AM
I know where I'm eating for lunch on Friday. All you can eat crab legs and Disneyland? That's Heaven.

faithbaby
01-24-2006, 11:14 AM
Thanks for sharing! Looks like this is RIGHT by where we are staying! Hope I can talk the family into going!

Darkbeer
01-24-2006, 11:21 AM
I know where I'm eating for lunch on Friday. All you can eat crab legs and Disneyland? That's Heaven.

Note, Crab Legs is probably one of the "Dinner" only items.

But you could have a late lunch after 4 PM.... You will be extra hungry for those legs:fez:

Stupid_American
01-24-2006, 03:26 PM
What are the crowds like?

I know that many of the places in that area are often mobbed.
A buffet would definitely have that potential.

wickedbusa
01-24-2006, 03:36 PM
Cool! A chinese food buffet WITH crab legs. How ironic, my fiance and I were just talking about that the last time I was at DLR. After going there so many times, we always wondered why there wasn't any chinese food anywhere. Not that the food at DLR is bad, but sometimes a little variety makes a trip that much more memorable. We're going to have to try that next time we go there. And it's CHEAP!!!:D

tod
01-24-2006, 04:22 PM
Choy's on Ball Road delivers and they're open until 2 am.

--t

pisces
01-24-2006, 05:37 PM
I won't make any comments on how I feel about mom and pop buffets.

The only buffets I go to, with any frequency are Souplantation, and Hometown.

cstephens
01-24-2006, 06:30 PM

Just wanted to repeat this part again.

stan4d_steph
01-24-2006, 06:51 PM
So is the name of the place, "International Buffet," just a misnomer and it's actually just a Chinese buffet in multinational clothing?

Wesley815
01-24-2006, 07:03 PM
The only buffets I go to, with any frequency are Souplantation, and Hometown.I will also repeat this point... I'd never trust any place like this cheap weird seafood joint.

Only the "big name" places for me to, at least I can somewhat trust with food sitting out.

pisces
01-24-2006, 07:54 PM
Todai----is a large chain Asian? buffet. Their food is pretty bland, or was.

If I'm living dangerously, and decide to go to a mom and pop buffet, I'd probably go for one of the local Indian restaurants. Indian cuisine ---- the vegetables, curries, basmati, and naan hold up a bit better at a buffet, than Asian.

ILoveChurros
01-24-2006, 08:19 PM
I won't make any comments on how I feel about mom and pop buffets.

I'd still give it a try even if it is a "mom and pop" place. I've been to these types of buffets to the one at Bellagio...as long as the food is good and I don't get sick, I don't care.

Wendi
01-24-2006, 08:26 PM
Todai----is a large chain Asian? buffet. Their food is pretty bland, or was.

If I'm living dangerously, and decide to go to a mom and pop buffet, I'd probably go for one of the local Indian restaurants. Indian cuisine ---- the vegetables, curries, basmati, and naan hold up a bit better at a buffet, than Asian.

Just curious... why doesn't Asian food "hold up" at a buffet?

pisces
01-24-2006, 09:17 PM
the raw fish sitting out.

awinner
01-24-2006, 10:07 PM
where were the crowds & what is the letter grade?

Darkbeer
01-25-2006, 04:18 AM
where were the crowds & what is the letter grade?

We went on a Monday Night, the crowds were light, but they have a LOT of seating.

Orange County does not give out letter grades, but it did have it inspection sticker posted.

They had two open cooking areas, and both were very clean. They had multiple employees cleaning up and watching what needed to be cooked (replaced) when we visited. I was impresed...

But how can you screw up crab legs, just steam and eat! :fez:

SandraVB79
01-25-2006, 05:59 AM
OK, once again, I need "English class" (or better: American slang class)
What do you mean by a "mom and pop buffet"?

Oh, and for that price, I could go and JUST eat crab legs. As Darkbeer says, you ca't do that much wrong with crab legs... (except if they were 4 weeks old before getting steamed...)

stan4d_steph
01-25-2006, 07:12 AM
OK, once again, I need "English class" (or better: American slang class) What do you mean by a "mom and pop buffet"?The term "mom and pop" typically refers to a business that is privately owned by an individual or family, and not part of a chain (a chain restaurant being something like Mövenpick).

SandraVB79
01-25-2006, 08:01 AM
Thank you very much for the explanation :)

awinner
01-25-2006, 08:29 AM
Personally I am a fan of "Homeless" Buffet ...aka Hometown. :|

Shadowcat
01-25-2006, 09:27 AM
We have a number of buffets set up exactly like that out here, same equipment, color skeme, layout, menu style. And a number of them were I used to live set up exactly the same as well. I'm guessing this is actually a franchise (or restaurant package) where the owner chooses the name, but in all other respects it's identical to other. It's just too cookie cutter to be a true mom/pop shop.

Stupid_American
01-25-2006, 10:06 AM
I will also repeat this point... I'd never trust any place like this cheap weird seafood joint.

Only the "big name" places for me to, at least I can somewhat trust with food sitting out.

The last place I got sick, my wife too, was Hometown Buffet.

cstephens
01-25-2006, 11:09 AM
I'm going to disagree that it's hard to screw up crab legs. I've had some before that didn't taste very fresh and/or didn't have very much meat in them at all.