PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland and American Girl?

Buffytheweedslayer
01-24-2006, 05:53 AM
We will be taking our first trip to Disneyland in June!!! Can't wait! I just read that their is an American Girl Store opening in LA. Does anyone know how far the American Girl store is from DL?

Thanks

mcow1
01-24-2006, 06:00 AM
We will be taking our first trip to Disneyland in June!!! Can't wait! I just read that their is an American Girl Store opening in LA. Does anyone know how far the American Girl store is from DL?

Thanks
It's about 35 miles with lot's of traffic. IIRC the American Girl Store is in the center next to the Farmers Market.

MsYumiBr
01-24-2006, 06:10 AM
This is very cool! Thanks for the info. American Girl Place Los Angeles is supposed to open April 2006 and is now accepting reservations for the cafe through September. It is about 35 miles from the Disneyland Hotel and 43 minutes according to Mapquest. I would add time for traffic. The website has a bunch of stuff to plan for a visit. This looks like fun. I'm going to talk to my Girl Scout troop to find out if this is a good idea for a day trip. It'll take about 3 hours to get there so it may not be such a good idea but sounds like a *lot* of fun.

nvmom
01-24-2006, 07:01 AM
Darn. I was hoping that American Girl place would be closer to DLR. I believe the email I got said it's at The Grove. My girls would think they've died and gone to heaven to go to American Girl place. I hope someone here includes it in their trip report if it's a side trip.

nvmom

MermaidHair
01-24-2006, 07:25 AM
Oh, I am almost glad American Girl Place is not close to DLR. I have been to the one in Chicago and that place is amazing but if it were close by we would have to add at least a day to ou trip and $$ to our souvenir budget. My daughter would be in heaven, though...

Buffytheweedslayer
01-24-2006, 09:16 AM
Thanks everyone!! We may have to look into this and plan to go there for a visit - DD would just LOVE this!!:)

Niwel
01-24-2006, 09:21 AM
But you can visit American Girl and then take a side trip to the El Capitan/Disney Soda Fountain and Studio Store for some yummy ice cream and exclusive merchandise (I bought the cutest pins there). The two are less than 2 miles apart. :)

elastin
01-24-2006, 05:20 PM
Can somebody tell me what American Girl is?:fez:

Niwel
01-24-2006, 05:58 PM
American Girl (http://www.americangirl.com/) is a line of dolls that represent different girls at different times in history. There are 3 American Girl Places around the country where girls can buy dolls or bring their dolls to a tea party and shopping experience

Make memories that will last forever
American Girl Place is the place for girls! It’s where the magic of the past and present come to life in dazzling ways. Much more than a store, it’s the place where imaginations soar—from boutiques to Character birthday celebrations, from the Cafe to the Theater and beyond.

Genris
01-24-2006, 05:58 PM
Can somebody tell me what American Girl is?:fez:

Dolls. Very well dressed and accessorized dolls. My dd has "Samantha" :D

elastin
01-24-2006, 06:46 PM
What are the prices of the dolls?
The store sounds alot like Build A Bear

Tinkermommy
01-24-2006, 06:48 PM
Dolls. Very well dressed and accessorized dolls.

With big ole price tag to match. My daughter has two Bitty Babies (not Bitty Twins, two Bitty Babies that look exactly alike -- LOL) and an American Girl Today. My pocketbook hurts just thinking about it.

They are actually quite pretty and well-made. Each doll in the historical line has a whole series of books about her, and there have been a couple of made-for-television movies. Each historical doll also has a complete line of period-appropriate clothing, furniture, pets and in some cases, transportation devices.

This is big stuff -- the AG dolls are about 18 inches tall. If you've never seen American Girl dolls, visit their website. It's incredible! (That's probably waaay more than you wanted to know...LOL)

To make this Disney-related, I'll add: several years ago, the Disney Store sold a doll about the same size that came dressed with a Disney outfit, including ears. My daughter had one, and we bought a few extra outfits. The Belle gown fits the American Girl doll perfectly!

Tinkermommy
01-24-2006, 06:50 PM

The basic dolls, dressed, start at $87. I'm not sure what the store prices will be like, but that's the current online price.

MsYumiBr
01-25-2006, 05:05 AM
You can get a bear for $20+accessories. Dolls are (the last time I looked at the catalogue) $80+accessories and can go up to $1000. The bears get made and that's it. The dolls get their hair done and the girls and dolls can have a tea party at the cafe. Bears are a much less expensive visit.

prncsmsj
01-25-2006, 07:23 AM
This is very cool! Thanks for the info. American Girl Place Los Angeles is supposed to open April 2006 and is now accepting reservations for the cafe through September. It is about 35 miles from the Disneyland Hotel and 43 minutes according to Mapquest. I would add time for traffic. The website has a bunch of stuff to plan for a visit. This looks like fun. I'm going to talk to my Girl Scout troop to find out if this is a good idea for a day trip. It'll take about 3 hours to get there so it may not be such a good idea but sounds like a *lot* of fun.
And add time for parking, too. The Grove is usually packed, and it takes some time to find a spot in the parking structure. I have seen the spot where it's going to be, though, and I bet a lot of little girls are going to have so much fun there.

cfrith
01-26-2006, 09:12 AM
My DD's (age 4 and 7) love their AG dolls and Bitty Babies. We live 2 hours from Chicago and went to AG Place last March and they loved it! This year we discussed going to DL or AG and it was a tough choice for our 7 year old!!! We had to talk her into DL saying "we just went to AG last year, but it's been almost 2 years since DL"!!! It's amazing how into these dolls the girls get! BTW, our day trip to AG Place cost around $800 between dolls, outfits and lunch!

MermaidHair
01-26-2006, 04:08 PM
My DD's (age 4 and 7) love their AG dolls and Bitty Babies. We live 2 hours from Chicago and went to AG Place last March and they loved it! This year we discussed going to DL or AG and it was a tough choice for our 7 year old!!! We had to talk her into DL saying "we just went to AG last year, but it's been almost 2 years since DL"!!! It's amazing how into these dolls the girls get! BTW, our day trip to AG Place cost around $800 between dolls, outfits and lunch!

Wow - I can see how this would add up. Thanks for the info, I will store it (in my brain that is like a sieve) for future reference. My almost 5 year old has Kit and a Bitty Baby. Exciting days when the catalog shows up in the mail! She just got Kit (Depression Era Doll) for Christmas and what she wants next is all of the books, not accessories yet. I think it a good learning tool. She would have ended up with some other doll anyway, since she LOVES playing Mommy.

lisap
01-27-2006, 05:39 AM
We're going to the cafe and show in April for my daughter's ninth birthday. Her actual birthday is in February, but she was so excited about going to the American Girl Place she's willing to delay the celebration for a couple months. It's going to be a girl's night out with all the grandmas and aunties coming along to check things out.:cool:

Reservations are going very fast for the cafe--we called the first day they were taking them and most of April was totally sold out. I think the theatre tickets are going more slowly. And it doesn't cost a thing to just window shop (leave your wallet in the car.);)

CrazyTrain
01-27-2006, 03:04 PM
And add time for parking, too. The Grove is usually packed, and it takes some time to find a spot in the parking structure. I have seen the spot where it's going to be, though, and I bet a lot of little girls are going to have so much fun there.

The good thing about parking at the Grove is that they have electronic signs that tell you how many empty spaces are on each level :)