PDA

View Full Version : How would Disneyland do today

slaakker
03-30-2002, 07:41 PM
I was thinking today about how Disneyland might do if it opened in its current state today.

Technology is so much further than when many of DL rides were made. Would kids think that the animatronics were stiff and not realistic according to todays standards. Do most of us as adults appreciate it more because we grew up with Disneyland? Kids just seem to not be as impressed with old technology.

I know everyone loves DL but kids get to grow up with it and appreciate it when they are young. But would we have a different perspective if it was brand new?

Know what I mean? Maybe I am just having a "Deep" moment.:rolleyes:

Thoughts? (Not about me. hehe)

MonorailMan
03-30-2002, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by slaakker
Kids just seem to not be as impressed with old technology.

I am a teen, and find Old technology the most amazing, how before we all had desktop computers, how the Matterhorn had a computer controled system. No I do not think all Kids like the "New Stuff". (Or Maybe I'm Weird.) :)

coronamouseman
03-30-2002, 08:32 PM
Great question .........

Some observations:

(1) Real question of how Disney brand would hold up on its own in today's world of cable and Internet access. Clearly, Disney has established itself in both of those arenas but are they currently simply living off of their past laurels or are they really a force with young kids? My youngest child is 11 and I rarely see Disney stuff on the cable box - mostly it's Nickelodeon stuff like SpongeBob or Thorneberrys et al.

Same goes for the theatres - whereas for my generation Disney produced such great movies as 20000 Leagues and all of their cartoon stuff, Disney is in a dogfight right now with Dreamworks in regards to compelling cartoon features .........

So, how much of the current kid's generation is fond of Disney simply because their Baby Boomer parents tell them how cool Disney is?

(2) Since the real intention of Walt Disney was to build a park where "all ages" could share the experience, I think Disneyland would be a somewhat compelling attraction based upon the theming and the presence of some very tame attractions that grandparents and grandkids could enjoy. One of the big differences between Disney's Fantasyland and Knott's Camp Snoopy is that on a bunch of the Snoopy stuff adults aren't allowed - when my kids were younger, it was kind of boring to simply follow them around as they went on rides - at least at Disney everyone could ride together.

Same for most all the rides at Disney now they are older - everyone can ride together as opposed to the "vomit comet" rides at SFMM where only the teenage set can tolerate the wear and tear of 300Ft drops and loops .........

So, IMHO, I think it would still be a good park but probably not with same "icon" status that it currently occupies in the American psyche .........

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
03-30-2002, 11:32 PM
When I was little - I loved the country bears - this was mid 1980's and we had one tv with an antenna (no cable) about 10 channels - no video games, no CD players, no eletronic meow-chi walking toy cats....or tickle me elmos

My little sister - who is 6 and plays luigis' mansion on the newest nintendo system, found the country bear jamboree 'boring and dumb'. If she was raised in the same time I was - I bet her expectations would be much lower and the country bear's would delight her as much they did to me.

Now if they had a powerpuff girls theme park - she would be in heaven