PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks Help

hillyut
01-22-2006, 08:04 AM
Ok, I've searched the forum, but I can't seem to find a good thread about the fireworks. We have tickets for the week of President's Day, and got an extra day added just to go to the park to see the fireworks. We haven't seen the 50th fireworks and I've only heard rave reviews.
I have a 2 and a 5 year old, and I'm wondering the best place to see the fireworks (and I want to see the whole thing -- Tinkerbell is a must), and how long I should be looking to campout (possibly while dad takes them to Buzz, or something). We don't need the best seats in the house but we are spending the bucks just to see the fireworks after we get into town.
I'm sure there's a thread out there that has this info and I'm just not finding it.

Genris
01-22-2006, 09:05 AM
Ok, I've searched the forum, but I can't seem to find a good thread about the fireworks. We have tickets for the week of President's Day, and got an extra day added just to go to the park to see the fireworks. We haven't seen the 50th fireworks and I've only heard rave reviews.
I have a 2 and a 5 year old, and I'm wondering the best place to see the fireworks (and I want to see the whole thing -- Tinkerbell is a must), and how long I should be looking to campout (possibly while dad takes them to Buzz, or something). We don't need the best seats in the house but we are spending the bucks just to see the fireworks after we get into town.
I'm sure there's a thread out there that has this info and I'm just not finding it.

My experience is that if you want the very, very best seats, which would be at the front of the hub, in front of the castle, on a bench, you need to wait at least 3 hours (on a busy day). A lot depends on the timing of the parade though, since those are excellent seats for the parade too. In July, we had to wait 5 hours for those benches, because the seats were beginning to fill for the second parade already. (and it was totally worth it, in case you were wondering). I would start scouting them out even earlier than 3 hours before, just to see if people are beginning to sit down.

Up until about an hour before the show, it seems to be pretty easy to just walk up and find a spot to stand in that area.

I know people have posted here about walking up and finding a spot as little as 20 minutes before the show, but I'm always uncomfortable stepping over people, and squeezing into the remaining spots by then.

All of this will vary based on how full the park is. Again, the smart thing to do might be to have one of you scope out the area periodically, and see when people begin to sit down. We planned our fireworks night for the end of the trip, when we were tired, and sitting on a bench for a few hours didn't sound like such a bad idea :D

I loved the fireworks show both times we've been since the 50th celebration began. It is absolutely spectacular. It is definitely worth making a special trip for. :D

I just had one other thought. Some of the 50th show is pretty intense. There are loud noises and fireworks that launch from the ground, making an intense light over the area around the front of the castle. If your kids are easily spooked, that might NOT be the best place to see them. In that case, I would vote for further down main street.

Phantom2006
01-22-2006, 10:31 AM
Like they said above, you can walk up 20 mins before the show. I usually do that. i go in a walkway and just get behind people i try not to get in anyones view, but 20 mins and you will be fine. But because you have kids i would say maybe an hour or an hour and a half get them some food and they shhould be good.

Drince88
01-22-2006, 10:41 AM
Can any of the 'locals' add what they guess would be the probabilities of the fireworks being cancelled due to weather during mid/late Feb (for the OP's visit) -- There is ALWAYS a chance the weather will cause the show to not happen, but some times of the year there's a better chance than others. It sounds like the OP has one shot, and small kids, so wanted someone who has a clue to provide some guidance on that front to help set expectations.

I really hope they don't get cancelled, though! It is a very well done show!

DisneyDustin22
01-22-2006, 10:42 AM
Depending on the crowds, and if you're planning on camping out, you may want to consider having the whole family stay with you. As discussed previously on the boards, we've all come to the decision that a blanket and one person cannot hold space for over an hour, espcially if its crowded. Because what happens is everyone starts out with their own nice little space, but as show time moves closer, you get all the people coming in at the last minute squeezing into small spaces and before you know it, youre trying to fit 6 people into space for 4.

Personally, I enjoy watching them from directly in front of the castle, sitting on the ground. I usually arrive 45minutes to an hour before it starts. I usually am with 3 or 4 people, somtimes more and we have always found good spots. We normally all get late dinner or snacks and eat there while we wait. If theres time left to spare. We play cards or entertain the people around us somehow. :D I've always found its worth the wait because I hate coming in at the last minute and trying to find a place moving through the crowds. Either way though, you can always find a spot. It all comes down to how long you want to wait. Sometimes that extra wait feels good to let your feet rest from walking all day. But on the other hand, do the kids get restless waiting that long? Good luck and no matter what, you will enjoy the show! :)

geoffa
01-22-2006, 10:47 AM
Have to agree with all previous comments - smack dead centre at the hub - be prepared to be jostled and elbowed! Tinkerbelle flies between the Matterhorn on your right and Big Thunder Mountain on the left - a really clever mechanism but I won't spoil things for you. As far as you and the kids are concerned she FLIES by using lots of pixiedust! Don't miss this show (I've only seen it on video and it is amazing) and if you have a videocam then be sure to take it with you. And don't miss the Parade of Dreams - it's one of Disney's best ever. By the way, kids may convince themselves they won't see anything because of people in front of them - tell them that the real fun happens up in the sky. They'll soon realise that when the fireworks start. ENJOY!:)

theprincesses
01-23-2006, 09:53 AM
The last time I saw the fireworks my friend and I parked ourselves at the hub, on the left side facing the castle to make our quick escape thru the Frontierland gate to watch the second showing of Fantasmic. We got a spot on a bench around 6:30. Even though we were on the opposite side of the hub from the Parade of Dreams, we were still able to see it. In regards to inclement weather, if it is even the slightest bit breezy up unitl 5 minutes before the fireworks are to start, the show will be cancelled. This is due to the pyrotechnic fallout. They can't have it blowing all over Ahaheim. There is the possibility that it can land on cars that are not in covered parking, i.e top of Mickey and Friends, DTD as well as houses in the area. There are even signs posted at the doors at TDA that they put out during the fireworks that tell the employees that they may not exit the building during the show. The OP might want to consider trying to see the show on the first day and if it is cancelled they still have other opportunities to see the show later in their trip.