PDA

View Full Version : Motor Coach vs. Shuttle

gimp_boy76
01-22-2006, 07:50 AM
I didn't really find a thread dedicated to this in my search so I will pose the question. Which of these two do you all prefer and why? Which was the fastest (we're coming from LAX)? I've heard a lot of horror stories with the Super Shuttle and how long some people have had to wait at the airport (1 1/2 hrs) for the shuttle to arrive. Thanks in advance for all the help and opinions.

Wendi
01-22-2006, 08:32 AM
I didn't really find a thread dedicated to this in my search so I will pose the question. Which of these two do you all prefer and why? Which was the fastest (we're coming from LAX)? I've heard a lot of horror stories with the Super Shuttle and how long some people have had to wait at the airport (1 1/2 hrs) for the shuttle to arrive. Thanks in advance for all the help and opinions.

I've never had any problems with Super Shuttle, LAX is such a busy airport that they come very frequently. Yes, they will circle the airport until they have enough customers on board, and yes, they do make stops for each party, but usually it's not more than 2 or 3 stops, and they're all in the general DLR area.

The motorcoach I assume is the airport bus/Disney whatever they call it these days. It is a full sized bus and will make many more stops than SS.

Not sure if this is an option for you, but rental cars from LAX are very cheap. I rented from Enterprise for $11.67 (this is for the second category up, but the bigger cars are cheap too compared to other airports). It may be cheaper to rent a car depending on how many people are in your party and how long you're staying. For our next trip, there are three of us, staying three days. SS would be $90 RT plus tip. The car is less than $40 (plus gas).

momuvseven
01-22-2006, 08:46 AM
I would get a car. Once you get to Anaheim it is very easy to find you way around and the money spent on a car will be easily saved on being able to shop for things you need at area stores vs. the overpriced hotel shop and eating meals off property. We never get lost in LA area, the traffic can be tense but once you get through that things are OK.

DianeM
01-22-2006, 08:46 AM
I've taken the shuttle, and our last trip my mother used it to get to the airport on her way home. Both times it worked wonderfully. No significant wait, and the driver was competent and courteous. According to my husband, a "motor coach" is a British term for a tour bus. Perhaps you could clarify a bit. Who provides this service? Is it a public bus or a private company? Disney World has a service providing transportation from the airport to the hotel, but I was unaware of such a program at Disneyland (which doesn't mean it doesn't exist - I'm unaware of a lot of Disney services, based on what I read here).

Which of these two do you all prefer and why? Which was the fastest (we're coming from LAX)? I've heard a lot of horror stories with the Super Shuttle and how long some people have had to wait at the airport (1 1/2 hrs) for the shuttle to arrive. Thanks in advance for all the help and opinions.

hlbtimes2
01-22-2006, 09:54 AM
I've taken the shuttle, and our last trip my mother used it to get to the airport on her way home. Both times it worked wonderfully. No significant wait, and the driver was competent and courteous. According to my husband, a "motor coach" is a British term for a tour bus. Perhaps you could clarify a bit. Who provides this service? Is it a public bus or a private company? Disney World has a service providing transportation from the airport to the hotel, but I was unaware of such a program at Disneyland (which doesn't mean it doesn't exist - I'm unaware of a lot of Disney services, based on what I read here).

The motor coach services is operated by Grayline, which is a huge tour company. They have service that goes from the airport (LAX and Orange county) to the Disney resort area. We have used it from both airports. We have used super shuttle from Orange county. We prefer flying into Orange and using super shuttle.

The bus picks up a LOT of passengers and drops them at many hotels. Then there is the issue of getting back to the airport. You get picked up at your hotel, on the bus schedule, not yours. Then you get taken to a transfer station. At that point they divide up the passengers by airport and put them back on the bus. It's not the quickest way to get back! Super shuttle will pick you when need them to. You give them your flight time and where you are and they tell you what time they think you should be picked up. We have found they are usually early (about 15min) to pick you up.

As for waiting at the airport for them- you do that will the bus as well. Except the bus is waiting to fill up 40-50 seats, and the shuttle is only needing to fill 7 or 8.

jazzysmom
01-22-2006, 10:10 AM
We always use Super Shuttle, because we do not like to drive in LA. We have not had any problems. You can make reservations ahead of time and they are usually there shortly after we arrive. Shuttles are less stressful to us then driving in LA traffic (which we are not at all used to being from Oregon) and you get to your hotel quicker than using the airport buses IMHO.

gimp_boy76
01-22-2006, 02:19 PM
I would get a car. Once you get to Anaheim it is very easy to find you way around and the money spent on a car will be easily saved on being able to shop for things you need at area stores vs. the overpriced hotel shop and eating meals off property. We never get lost in LA area, the traffic can be tense but once you get through that things are OK.

Actually we are renting a car, our plan is to meet my mom and step-dad who are flying in from England, our flights basically arrive at the same time and I don't want to wait for them to go through customs especially at LAX I'm sure that will take forever! So I figured I could take the shuttle/bus and they could pick up the rental and meet us at the hotel. Actually this brings up another question, we won't need the shuttle/bus to get back to the airport as we will get dropped off do we have to make special arrangements for this? I guess another option is just to rent a private car/limo but I have no idea on the pricing for that.