PDA

View Full Version : What would you think? (in regards to new Disneyland Resort ad)

Pages : [1] 2

Darkbeer
01-21-2006, 10:18 AM
Here is the premise...

You are driving in the Southern California area (This ad has been seen in LA, Orange and San Diego County areas).

You see the ad in the photo link below.

Presuming you are not a "Disney Geek", but just a person that really doesn't know much about Disneyland except it is a nice amusement park in Anaheim (I used "amusement" on purpose, as the average person doesn't really know about theme parks vs amusement parks).

What does that ad tell you? And remember, you only get a quick glance at the ad, since you are driving fast down a freeway (Well, you are hoping you are going fast, and not stuck in a traffic jam).

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1138660/1/53058547/Large (http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1138660/1/53058547/Large)

ILovePoker
01-21-2006, 10:39 AM
Only tells me there's a new ride.

Petersgj
01-21-2006, 10:52 AM
I would think there would be a new monsters ride at DLR, but not at DCA.

rudekick
01-21-2006, 10:55 AM
Wow - I can't believe that didn't say that it's at DCA. Huge lost opportunity. But maybe they don't want to use "DCA" in ads in the event they change the name?

TowerofTerror
01-21-2006, 11:02 AM
Wow nice AD but its very misleading it leads you to believe that the rides AT Disneyland.

emmah
01-21-2006, 11:14 AM
it would make me think there was a huge rollercoaster somewhere!

splashmtngurl
01-21-2006, 11:25 AM
it makes it sound like the ride is really big, like a roller coaster or something super exciting, not really like a dark ride, and it does really sound like its at disneyland not california adventure, but maybe this is because they are also trying to advertise the 50th at the same time??

AaronInCal
01-21-2006, 11:43 AM
It is misleading.. I heard there are quite a few people asking where the new Monsters, Inc ride is in Disneyland.. Doesn't make sense why they couldn't just put DCA's name on the billboards. Guess they don't care if they confuse people and cause more problems for the Cast Members who have to tell everyone that ride is in the other park.

TowerofTerror
01-21-2006, 11:58 AM
Well people that have already ridden the ride should no it at dca since they have been having sneaks peaks since Christmas.:)

geoffa
01-21-2006, 12:16 PM
Maybe a a marketing ploy. Maybe I'm cynical? Folk go to DL seeking the ride only to be told its across the way at DCA. Extra Park ticket required?

MammaSilva
01-21-2006, 12:28 PM
I have to wonder if it's almost a 'bait and switch' level of false advertising...the resort is on there, but in what amounts to 'fine' print IMHO...granted it IS on there but yeah for anyone who bought a one day ticket to DisneyLAND they'd have to purchase the ticket for DCA to experience the ride. Granted I'd think that a person doing that would probably go raise so much hooey in City Hall that they'd swap the ticket from a DisneyLAND to a DCA but thats just a guess on my part.

Darkbeer
01-21-2006, 01:13 PM
Talking about misleading, here is a pin I bought at the park yesterday that is Monsters, Inc. themed....

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1138660/2/53320166/Large

Wendi
01-21-2006, 01:29 PM
I would think that there was a new Monster's Inc. ride, but I'd also imagine it to be a big roller coaster or something "monstrous"!

Gone2Disneyland
01-21-2006, 01:52 PM
Talking about misleading, here is a pin I bought at the park yesterday that is Monsters, Inc. themed....

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1138660/2/53320166/Large
For us Disney-geek-know-it-allz :p, we'd be the firsts to notice that the name Pixar should rightly be visible with the Monsters Inc. name, esp. if the Disney name is credited nearby. (Isn't that even a legal requirement?)

But sadly, it also reminds me of the other day at work, when co-workers assumed that "Madagascar" was a Disney film. :eek: Meaning most non-Disney-geek-know-it-allz won't even notice anything's "wrong" when seeing that new Monsters pin. :rolleyes:

I Heart Disneyland!
01-21-2006, 02:09 PM
That it is a new Monsters Inc ride. That's what it says to me. Is that wrong??

The Mouse Is Back
01-21-2006, 04:38 PM
Wonder how well that pin will go over if someone brings it to the current negotiations between Pixar and Disney?

My cynicism grows daily when it comes to the DLR marketing, merchandising and promotions teams.

-Allegra-

DisneyDustin22
01-21-2006, 05:05 PM
All valid point indeed. But in regards to the ad, it says nothing of Disneyland the park. It clearly says, Disneyland Resort. The resort includes both Disneyland and California Adventure. I'm sure there are ads in Orlando that say Expedition Everest - New at the Walt Disney World Resort. So if I go to Epcot, can I complain that you are false advertising since the attraction isnt here? Not really, because it doesnt name a specific park. They are advertising a new reason to visit the resort. Should they have put California Adventure on the ad? Sure. Not only would it make it more clear, but it would be an overall advertisment for DCA, which would help draw more attendance. But I dont think a guest has a valid arguement at City Hall if they go into Disneyland and expect to ride Monsters.

Now outside of us Disney fans, who know the resort inside and out, if you are an outside guest, visiting for the first time, or more, I would think you would have enough common sense to review the resort before visiting. Especially if there is more than one park at a place you are visiting. If you are going on a wim, thats one thing, but I think one should know enough to plan a trip out before they just show up.

When it all boils down, its a business. And they are drawing people to the resort by any means. If the ad said, new at Disneyland and nothing else, thats one thing. But add the word "resort", from an advertising point of view your golden. Because it is advertising for the whole not one park. Just my two cents.

Darkbeer
01-21-2006, 05:17 PM
It clearly says, Disneyland Resort. The resort includes both Disneyland and California Adventure.

I am not so sure that it clearly says Disneyland Resort, I think it clearly says Disneyland, but the word Resort, that is awfully small!!!

If you give a ratio to the letters...

The "50" is 40 units high

The "D" in Disneyland is 30 units high

Monsters, Inc. is 12 units high

The word "resort" is 2 units high.

MammaSilva
01-21-2006, 05:21 PM
I won't go quote my original post, but when you stick the word resort on there so tiny as to qualify as "fine print" in overall ratio to the rest of the font sizes I say while they might be "golden" legally, it's still just this side of a bait and switch type ad. Yes WE all know it's at DCA, but unless when you get to the park and there are signs all over stressing that the new attraction is in DCA...I'd be in City Hall throwing a hooey if I drove my child down to the park for that event and it wasn't clear which park it was in.

DianeM
01-21-2006, 05:40 PM
It tells me that Disneyland has a new roller coaster with a Monster's Inc. theme. Hopefully, there will be enough other promotion that people will know that it's not a roller coaster and it's at DCA.

What does that ad tell you? And remember, you only get a quick glance at the ad, since you are driving fast down a freeway (Well, you are hoping you are going fast, and not stuck in a traffic jam).

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1138660/1/53058547/Large (http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1138660/1/53058547/Large)

The Mouse Is Back
01-21-2006, 06:07 PM
They've been trying to sell that whole "resort" thing for what? five years or so now? When they started replacing ALL the "Disneyland" branded merchandise with the logo of "Disneyland Resort", I complained in writing to several upper-level types. Obviously, I wasn't the only one who hated it, since shortly thereafter "Disneyland" and "Disneyland Park" branding started appearing, and now there are quite a few choices (I check every time we're there).

If they haven't been able to convince the masses that DL and DCA are the *same* thing, and not separate parks, by now - well...you know...that dog won't hunt.

Too bad they aren't spending less time/money/effort on aggressive attendance-boosting gimmickry (and in this case misrepresentation, IMO) and more on improving the guest experience overall.

BTW, even the TV ad that includes the new ride doesn't make it all that clear that they're talking DCA.

-Allegra-

DisneyDustin22
01-21-2006, 07:33 PM
I am not so sure that it clearly says Disneyland Resort, I think it clearly says Disneyland, but the word Resort, that is awfully small!!!

If you give a ratio to the letters...

The "50" is 40 units high

The "D" in Disneyland is 30 units high

Monsters, Inc. is 12 units high

The word "resort" is 2 units high.

Regardless, it still says it. Whether it's fine print, or bright and bold. If someone were to come in and specifically say, "Your ad clearly says Disneyland. Now why isn't it in Disneyland?" Disney has every right to say back, "Sir/Mam it actually says Disneyland Resort. Which applies to all of our parks on property and the attraction is located in California Adventure."

Stupid I know. Heartless on theyre behalf for doing that? Sure. It bugs me too. All I'm saying is as long as the word resort is on there, there's nothing the guest can argue against it. That's the 99% of all advertising. "Sir/Mam, did you read the fine print?" Thankfully people like you and I, know where attraction is and we wouldn't have this problem. :) But I do agree with you, to Joe Travelor zipping down the 5 at 80mph, it says go to Disneyland for a new attraction. I guess the next question is then is Joe Travelor going to DL, DCA, or park hopping? In which case if he's park hopping, the sign doesn't matter now. :D As long as there is advertising, the struggle will continue.

The Mouse Is Back
01-21-2006, 07:49 PM
More than one consumer or consumer class has successfully argued and won based on misleading advertising, even if it does include so-called "fine print".

The intent of Disney to design a billboard so it is actually impossible to read the word "Resort" while traveling at normal speed on the freeway would be enough to make a good case.

But whatever. It's too bad that the few companies that I still felt were trustworthy in some ways are gradually dropping off that short list.

-Allegra-

kimi911
01-21-2006, 09:00 PM
Well, I would be left wondering what it is. Furthermore, I get a "Six Flags" feel from that advertisement, so I would probably think it is a roller coaster. I might even miss that it says Disneyland, if I didn't read about it here and know about that movie (which I don't know much about)! :)

Wendi
01-21-2006, 09:08 PM
Presuming you are not a "Disney Geek", but just a person that really doesn't know much about Disneyland except it is a nice amusement park in Anaheim (I used "amusement" on purpose, as the average person doesn't really know about theme parks vs amusement parks).

But if I don't know much about Disneyland, I think that Disneyland and the "new" part of Disneyland are all one place anyway. I wouldn't show up at the parks to just enter one half, would I?