PDA

View Full Version : DCA Segway tour [merged]

Pages : [1] 2

Wendi
10-16-2005, 07:35 AM
I just read this on MouseSavers...

New Tour Will Have You Cruzin' California
“Cruzin’ Disney's California Adventure” is the latest tour offered to guests seeking a new and thrilling way to explore the Disneyland Resort. Scheduled to debut on November 7, 2005, this tour comes with a surprising, two-wheeled twist!

That’s because you will have the opportunity to participate in a one-hour training course to become proficient on a Segway vehicle. After the training, guests will ride through Disney's California Adventure park, maneuvering their vehicles over different terrain and through various locations. Each guest will also receive an exclusive cloisonné pin designed for this tour experience. Unique photo locations and opportunities will also be highlighted.

For more information or to book a tour, call (714) 781-4400.

10-16-2005, 11:47 AM
GOB from "Arrested Development" ...

Wendi
10-16-2005, 01:20 PM

:confused: I have no idea what that means... :p

ACDSNY
10-16-2005, 01:28 PM
Has anyone been able to reserve this tour? I can't find a CM that knows anything about it yet.

Wendi
10-16-2005, 01:38 PM
I called just to see if they had a price on it yet and they didn't have it on their "list" yet today... maybe tomorrow???

lilypad
10-16-2005, 01:51 PM

Lol...Maybe he'll work in the magic shop on Mainstreet. If I go on that tour I'll have to bring his magic show theme music along...

Opus1guy
10-16-2005, 03:49 PM
While I think the Segway is a fun toy for a short period of time...I think there's a bit of business irony in Segway being a part of California Adventure. Both products failed to live up to their hype and initially anticipated business and public appeal. And...

The very word Segway has become a label for anything that consists of more ballyhoo than substance.

sbnuggie
10-16-2005, 04:20 PM
Ok is it just me or does this sound like one of the most dangerous and ill advised tours ever conceived (apart from the three hour tour aboard the SS Minow). Aren't Disney lawyers famous for being safety conscious? Most people have trouble driving to the DL Resort, now you put them on a Segway for a tour? C'mon, its only a matter of time before someone hits someone else on a Segway or runs somebody over. Lets start a pool to see how long it takes before this disaster is shut down. I say less then 30 days....whose in?

Leash81
10-16-2005, 04:40 PM
Ok is it just me or does this sound like one of the most dangerous and ill advised tours ever conceived (apart from the three hour tour aboard the SS Minow). Aren't Disney lawyers famous for being safety conscious? Most people have trouble driving to the DL Resort, now you put them on a Segway for a tour? C'mon, its only a matter of time before someone hits someone else on a Segway or runs somebody over. Lets start a pool to see how long it takes before this disaster is shut down. I say less then 30 days....whose in?

Well I know they already have this type of tour at WDW and so far no disasters so...:|

10-16-2005, 05:34 PM
:confused: I have no idea what that means... :p

GOB is a character on the tv show "Arrested Development". He goes everywhere on a Segway.

Stupid_American
10-16-2005, 05:37 PM
This has got to be expensive.
A 2 hour Segway rental, alone, will run $75 in Santa Monica.

Whittibo
10-16-2005, 05:50 PM
OK, we must not have this "thing" in the country.. the only thing I can imagine it is, is what I saw a CM on at the House of Innovations. Is it a 2 wheeled "thing" that you ride on standing up? If so, that does sound dangerous, and kids would have to be excluded for sure! I wouldn't even let my 12 year old try that. :s

I would think they could do some "tram/trolley" (San Francisco inspired) and drive you around the park. They have vehicles in DL, why not in DCA??

tink360
10-16-2005, 05:55 PM
I would think they could do some "tram/trolley" (San Francisco inspired) and drive you around the park. They have vehicles in DL, why not in DCA??

Good point!

ACDSNY
10-16-2005, 06:30 PM
Our family did the Segway tour at Epcot last Sunday and everyone thought it was the highlight of our trip. My 21 yr old daughter was able to do the tour with a cast on her right arm since the controls are on the left side. I was amazed at how quickly you learn to use it. We all had a blast. I'm hoping we can do the DCA version Nov 7th or 8th.

I think the min age at Epcot was 16 yr.

pretty Omi
10-16-2005, 08:41 PM
at innoventions they let you try them out and stuff, and go through a lil mini course type deal... there were like two pages of waivers to sign and you had to be 16 or older... and sometime they made me show id

Mark Goldhaber
10-16-2005, 09:19 PM
I just read this on MouseSavers...
Guess you didn't read last week's DLR Update (http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdates/dlr/dlr051010.htm) here on MousePlanet. If you had, you would have known about it last Monday. ;)

hbquikcomjamesl
10-16-2005, 10:42 PM
In Seattle, I've seen city employees riding around on customized Segways, servicing parking meters.

And "Whittibo," a Segway is a small electric vehicle consisting of a platform on two wheels (coaxial, not tandem), with a control-stand rising up out of it, and you ride it standing on the platform, gripping the handlebars on the control-stand. The thing that makes it work is a complex microprocessor-driven stabilization system that keeps you from falling over. In fact, it's sophisticated enough that it would keep you from falling over even without the control stand (which early prototypes, as I recall, lacked.

One of these days, I'm going to try one of the things, probably in Innoventions.

melmel
10-16-2005, 10:47 PM
It's The Final Countdoooown

Doo Do Doo Dooo Do Do Do Do Dooo

DisDreams
10-16-2005, 11:48 PM
Isn't the EPCOT Segway experience done BEFORE the park opens to guests? I thought the outdoor portion of the Segway experience is all around the World Showcase area an hour before this area is open to the public. Perhaps the DCA Segway experience will be allowed before this park opens to the public, allowing for less interaction between walking guests and novice Segway drivers(?)

sriggins
10-17-2005, 06:51 AM
meep meep comin' through! Hey, how did I get on the Screamin' tracks? Oh noooooooooo!

Whittibo
10-17-2005, 07:01 AM
OK, that's what I thought it was then. I just saw a CM on one at the entrance to Innovations. I had no clue we could try them. :( I also had no clue they couldn't fall over. Now that makes things pretty simple even for a klutz like me. ;)

It would be great if they did the tours before the park opened, sounds safer anyway.

TDBearGrrl
10-17-2005, 07:11 AM
I also had no clue they couldn't fall over. Now that makes things pretty simple even for a klutz like me. ;)

They CAN fall over! A very good friend of mine was on a Segway tour around the Eifel tower. She hit a small pebble and down she went. She suffered major knee injuries.

Whittibo
10-17-2005, 08:04 AM
They CAN fall over! A very good friend of mine was on a Segway tour around the Eifel tower. She hit a small pebble and down she went. She suffered major knee injuries.

I guess I took this statement too far, "The thing that makes it work is a complex microprocessor-driven stabilization system that keeps you from falling over." just because something STABILIZES you, doesn't mean it CAN'T fall over.

I hope your friend's knee is getting better. What an awful thing to have happen and even on vacation in Paris. :(

I wonder if Disney makes people sign waivers saying if they fall and get hurt, it's their own responsibility?? Doesn't seem like that would stick really, but they must have it figured out if they are going to try this.

CrazyTrain
10-17-2005, 08:35 AM
One of these days, I'm going to try one of the things, probably in Innoventions.

not in Disneyland :(

ACDSNY
10-17-2005, 08:36 AM
Isn't the EPCOT Segway experience done BEFORE the park opens to guests? I thought the outdoor portion of the Segway experience is all around the World Showcase area an hour before this area is open to the public. Perhaps the DCA Segway experience will be allowed before this park opens to the public, allowing for less interaction between walking guests and novice Segway drivers(?)

It depends on which time you take the tour. For the 8AM tour the park is closed, but by the last part of the 9:30AM tour the park is open and you have to stay single file.