PDA

View Full Version : DLR getting smaller?

mi_mous
01-18-2006, 10:46 PM
OK, this is going to sound really wierd, but I am wondering if any of this has happened to anyone else.

I was at Monsters Inc., waiting in a 40 minute line to get on the ride. We were snaking around in the line, and all of a sudden, I see one of my good friends. She doesn't live in San Diego anymore, so I hardly see them, but it was GREAT to see her, and I visited for a while with them after the ride, etc. I thought it was cool that I actually saw a friend of mine at the park.

So, we went yesterday, and we were waiting in line to see Minnie, she just happened to be outside of Monters Inc., and this girl walks up to me and says hi. It was another friend whom I hadn't seen in a long time (more than 6 years!)

Now, am I just getting lucky with my days, or is it getting smaller?

Anyone else have this happen, and more than once?

I guess it is a small world afterall!

mikemgmve
01-18-2006, 10:52 PM
I was with at the park with a friend who was feeling ill. We checked Screamin, and the line was long so we decided to head home, but i wanted a soft serve from the ice cream shop right before the shops/ariels grotto as you walk back. As I get it and head out, I run into a newer friend, whom i just met 2 months back at a friends dinner - she's an actress, tons of fun. She came to Dland, for the FIRST time ever, with her best friend, who doesn't like big/scary rides. So we walk back and i end up waiting to ride Screamin, and then we go ride Tower of Terror together too (as he's afraid of that as well.). Fortunately he knew a CM at the TOT whom got us in faster, tho we still had a bit of a wait once in the back area. Was a nice little excursion with her.

I Heart Disneyland!
01-18-2006, 11:16 PM
When I was at DL 2 years ago, I suddenly ran into my son's ex-girlfriend (who I love). It was SO wonderful because when they dated for 7 years, we made a trip to DL all together. And, I remember in the 6th grade, when I was at DL, I saw a girl from school. Another time, when we were there, another of my daughter's friends from high school (in Seattle) was there and shouted out her name! We were shocked!

Petersgj
01-19-2006, 10:09 AM
I live on an island in the Bering sea of Alaska. We only have a couple thousand people here. Last time I was a Disneyland, we ended up right behind them in line. Neither of us knew the other was going. I guess it is a small world afterall.

Petersgj
01-19-2006, 10:15 AM
I live on an island in the Bering sea of Alaska. We only have a couple thousand people here. Last time I was a Disneyland, we ended up right behind them in line. Neither of us knew the other was going. I guess it is a small world afterall.

Oops! that post didn't make sense....sorry. What I meant to say was that we ran into our next door neighbors when we ended up behind them in line. Sorry, I guess I should read my post before I submit.

PrincessLeia
01-19-2006, 10:30 AM
I ran into a college friend of mine outside of ToT over Christmas. It was so weird and great to see her. It's been about 10 years since I've seen her. It was cool!

murdock23
01-19-2006, 10:33 AM
on another note i have, on occasion, called in sick to work and gone to disneyland. those are the days i always hope i don't run into someone i know.. ;)

olegc
01-19-2006, 10:47 AM
OK, this is going to sound really wierd, but I am wondering if any of this has happened to anyone else.

I was at Monsters Inc., waiting in a 40 minute line to get on the ride. We were snaking around in the line, and all of a sudden, I see one of my good friends. She doesn't live in San Diego anymore, so I hardly see them, but it was GREAT to see her, and I visited for a while with them after the ride, etc. I thought it was cool that I actually saw a friend of mine at the park.

So, we went yesterday, and we were waiting in line to see Minnie, she just happened to be outside of Monters Inc., and this girl walks up to me and says hi. It was another friend whom I hadn't seen in a long time (more than 6 years!)

well, if it were in various places at the DLR - multiple Disneyland places, DCA, hotels, etc. then I would say WOW - what a coincidence - but the fact that these events all happened around Monster's Inc. - then I would guess that the probability of running into people (especially if one of you goes A LOT) shoots up quite a bit...

don't get me wrong - it's an awesome thing to run into people - but the draw of a single attraction helps quite a bit.

mi_mous
01-19-2006, 11:38 AM
well, if it were in various places at the DLR - multiple Disneyland places, DCA, hotels, etc. then I would say WOW - what a coincidence - but the fact that these events all happened around Monster's Inc. - then I would guess that the probability of running into people (especially if one of you goes A LOT) shoots up quite a bit...

don't get me wrong - it's an awesome thing to run into people - but the draw of a single attraction helps quite a bit.

I know, I thought that Monsters was magical or something, bringing me to meet all my long lost friends!:D

WITron
01-19-2006, 08:14 PM
My parents moved from California to Wisconsin last year. The family that they bought their house from moved from Wisconsin to Arizona. While my dad was waiting in line for a candy cane at the candy shop he struck up a converstion with the person behind him. It turned out that the people that sold my parents their house were their next door neighbors.

lauramaynot
01-19-2006, 08:21 PM
This has happenened to us many times. Once we saw friends of ours that lived with us up in Washington. A few times we have seen old friends from highschool. We saw four other families that we go to church with during the last springbreak (but we knew they were going to be there at the same time so not a surprise. And most recently my son saw a kid from his class at school as we were walking in the gates. I think the magic is just very popular. I remember once seeing a statistic that something like 85% of americans have visited a disney park in their lifetime...does this sound familiar to anyone??? is that figure way off???

TahoeBob
01-19-2006, 10:13 PM

this type of thing happens all the time. I saw one of the kids that were on a jr. football team I coached, another time my brother ran into a good friend of his at DL

Phantom2006
01-20-2006, 02:55 AM
In 2001 my friend and I went to Walt Disney World. We live in San Diego County. As we were about to leave Ebot we ran intoone of our friends from school. It was really odd, we were 3000 miles away from home/school and we judt run into somebody. I also saw somebody i use to work with outside of Splash Mountain at Disneyland.

donaldquackers
01-20-2006, 05:56 PM
I live in Utah and often go places. I never see anyone I know. However when I go to Disneyland, I always end up seeing someone I know. I guess it's just part of the majic

silentstranger
01-20-2006, 07:00 PM
my boyfriend and i went to grad nite together on the same nite as most the high schools in our area. we ran into a friend of mine from my old school whose brother used to work with my boyfriend (they were in the boat in front of us on POTC and their boat got pulled over because, apparently, there was smoke coming from it that was originating from some "contraband". . .). about a year after that we ran into the same guy and his brother outside BLAB.

Tinkermommy
01-21-2006, 12:43 PM
We frequently run into different teachers from my daughter's school at the Disney Resort with their families. It surprises me, because we live 75-ish miles from the park. It seems really strange that anybody would stumble across someone they know when there are so many people in the park at any given time!

Once, we noticed one of her teachers because he was yelling at one of his kids and we turned to see who was shouting...LOL!

TTFN92
01-22-2006, 08:17 PM
It's funny how I have gone to Dis knowing that someone would be there and looked for them the entire time and have not seen them, but have run into people I didn't know were going to be there. One time while I was still in high school I wore my letterman sweater (that dates me :eek: ) and was shopping in the Emporium when I was stopped by a girl I had gone to jr. high with. The weird thing is that she had moved from our city in AZ to the town I had grown up in in CA. She said she saw my sweater and knew she had to know me. That was really weird. On that trip I had also seen 2 other people I went to school with.

iwannabeanimagineer
01-23-2006, 03:43 PM
I live in Utah, but over the years I have run into so many people I know at Disneyland, I now just assume it's going to happen.

My favorite was the year I was working on a big project (I'm an architectural project manager) and our family had scheduled a vacation for the week after the big project deadline. The deadline got moved back a month, but we took our vacation anyway, going to Disneyland with just a few weeks to go on the project. I was standing outside the Haunted Mansion and the Mechanical Engineer assigned to my project walked by. I shouted, "Hey, shouldn't you be back in Utah drawing?" He shouted back, "Shouldn't you?"

mi_mous
01-28-2006, 11:13 PM
So, I still think that Monsters Inc. is a "magic" ride for me to meet up with friends I have not seen in a while.
A friend just e-mailed me, told me she was there with her parents, and they saw all of us going into Mosters Inc.. They were too far behind us to have let us know they were there, but they still saw us, and on the same day I ran into the girl I hadn't seen in a long while (the 2nd time.)

Does anyone else have a "magical" ride that this sort of thing happens? This has happened to me 2 almost 3 times around the same ride! (Granted, it is a new ride, but what are the odds?)

Genris
01-29-2006, 06:35 AM
My take on DLR being smaller than you think:
On our most recent trip (this past December), we struck up a conversation with a family in line ahead of us. Mom, grandma, and two kids close in age to my children. We were in line at the entry gate for a good half hour, so we had lots of time to talk.

The gates open and we both happen to be heading for Space Mountain, so we end up in line together for the SM fast pass. After getting our fast passes we take off in different directions, only to see them again, an hour or two later, just ahead of us in line for Small World. Then we get in line for lunch at the Rockets (because our fast pass windows are coming up) and who shows up behind us? And of course we finish eating and end up at SM to use the fast passes at the same time, and ride in the same set of cars.

I realize that all of this is pretty logical. Our plans were dictated by wanting to use those fast passes, so we stayed in the same areas. The park was cram full on those days though, so to keep seeing the same people over and over was funny.

sambo
01-29-2006, 10:44 PM
Eerie timing.

For the first time ever in Disneyland or the resort - While vacationing there last October someone spoke to me late one evening in Tomorrowland. It was a very long day and I was just at that stage before nodding off where sounds start to get muffled and you don't really notice things, you sort of see through them. Out of the fuzzy quiet I heard my name. I was there with my two adult kids who still call me dad, so hearing my name was startling. I turned and there was a face I half recognized in my haze. He was talking to me and I couldn't put it into place - it was so incongrous that anyone I know would be taliking to me late in the evening in Tomorrowland. It took me at least a minute to recognize it was someone from my work - 400 miles away.

Granted he was someone I see in passing maybe a couple of times a week, but I knew him by his first name. I had to apologise for not recognizing him straightaway, and explained I was starting to doze and I couldn't make it make sense that someone from work was here talking to me in Disneyland.

He said that as he passed by he thought I looked like someone familliar out of the corner of his eye - but it wasn't until he looked and a familliar logo on my shirt grabbed his attention that he recognized me.

So in the over forty years I have been going to Disneyland, this October I encounter someone I know personally. I'd say it only feels like Disneyland is getting smaller... well, some of the pathways certainly are.:p