PDA

View Full Version : If you had one choice... where would you have dinner in the park?

Pages : [1] 2

bekky
01-18-2006, 04:13 PM
We have never made reservations in the park for dinner ... always think about it once we are already there & by then OF COURSE it is too late.

BUT - mommy is getting smarter these days ;) ( ok ok - so at least Im trying !! )

I want to make a dinner reservation this time.

Last time - Ariels Grotto looked intriguing.

& we had friends go to the Pirates of Carribean for dinner a few yrs back & all of them ( a group of about 15 ) said they werent too impressed with the food.

Id still like to try it for myself someday though - it just looks so cool qith the ambiance (sp?) and all !!

SO ... any opinions on THE BEST place to reserve for dinner in advance ?

( please keep in mind - we have 5 yr old twins - so I want it to be fun for them too )

Lekta
01-18-2006, 04:15 PM
Ariels has always looked nice to me, especially if you have little ones. If it were just you and your significant other, I would suggest the more relaxed and romantic Blue Bayou.

So, my suggestion would be Ariels =) ENJOY!! =)

olddumbguy
01-18-2006, 04:20 PM
Ariels has always looked nice to me, especially if you have little ones. If it were just you and your significant other, I would suggest the more relaxed and romantic Blue Bayou.

For little ones, Ariels. If your kids are older, Blue Biou.

Personally, I loved Blue Biou (the pirates restaurant). I had the prime rib and it was awesome (but pricey).

My suggestion would be to plan an early dinner at BB, about 3pm. This is right before they switch to the dinner menu and alot less expensive. Plus they have the famous Monte Cristo on the lunch menu at that time.

Save money, eat at a great place and if your lucky you can get squeeze in between the lunch and dinner crowds.

Andrew
01-18-2006, 04:23 PM
My suggestion would be to plan an early dinner at [Blue Bayou], about 3pm. This is right before they switch to the dinner menu and alot less expensive. Plus they have the famous Monte Cristo on the lunch menu at that time.
That is my suggestion as well. I haven't eaten at Ariel's in some time, so I can't say, but I recall that being fun as well.

JookyG
01-18-2006, 04:23 PM
My vote would be Blue Bayou, without a doubt, regardless of the quality of the food (which can be terrible). I LOVE the atmosphere, but I've never been impressed by the food and used to swear that I'd only go there for dessert in the future. But it's still my #1 pick for dinner reservations, even if I only ate dessert.

However, the last time I was there, I took a chance and ordered lunch because I was so happy to get in, and the jambalaya was EXCELLENT! It was so good, I've started making it at home using the DL recipe. I also hear the Monte Cristo sandwiches are good, but they sound too greasy for me (I'm not a greasy fried food kind of guy).

Well, that's my $0.02.

DISCLAIMER: Blue Bayou will be closed this spring during the Pirates refurb (March 6 - June 16), so depending on when you go, this may not be an option.

MsYumiBr
01-18-2006, 04:25 PM
In the park? 5 year olds? Reservations? That's a tough one. My kids complain that Blue Bayou is too dark. :rolleyes: Plaza Inn is only breakfast, right? I would say Plaza Inn and tell them it's their birthday. Goofy's Kitchen is better but it's at the Disneyland Hotel. I heard they are going to remodel Pinnochio's and River Belle so cross your fingers for fun and good food. I didn't know Ariel's had a dinner. I would agree with Ariel's. I have had lunch there and it is fun like Goofy's, just not as *crazed*.

bekky
01-18-2006, 04:30 PM
any others besides ariels & blue bayou ?

Those were actually the only ones I could think of right now.

& when I read about the refurb on pirates - I definately decided to plan our trip BEFORE that so that we can get on it one more time in its "CLASSIC" form ... dont get me wrong - I LOVE Johnny Depp in the movie & all ... just doesnt seem like he belongs on the ride !!
Growing up it was my families all time favorite ride & we would go on it at least 3 times a visit - I just hope they really do a good job on the transformation & we dont all miss the "old days" of it, ya know.

SO ... anyways - any other dining adventures in either park I should be aware of ?

Thanks all .... :cool:

MrsG
01-18-2006, 04:31 PM
If you haven't experienced the Blue Bayou, that would be my choice for you (since you asked:p ). Food is not 5 star but it is pretty good for theme park food. Totally worth it for the ambience and the experience.

bekky
01-18-2006, 04:32 PM
"adventures" that is ... in a good way ! :p

janell
01-18-2006, 04:55 PM
If your around GCH, Storyteller is good. If you can do it during breakfast, the little ones might like it, they have charters. Other then that I can't think of any place that hasn't been said.

But there are pleanty of other place thats good, just no reservations. If you can eat dinner early go to where ever about 4:30 or so and there should be a problem.

Wendi
01-18-2006, 08:30 PM
Inside the parks with 5-year-old twins, eh? I'd definitely go with Ariel's Grotto in DCA... can't beat the private princess time, it's really great! The food is pretty good, I love the shrimp cobb salad. Blue Bayou is nice, but I'd much rather go for lunch (cheaper!!!).

If you are open to dining outside the parks, I highly recommend Yamabuki at the Paradise Pier Hotel (they'll even make "cheater chopsticks" for the kids - my son LOVES the chicken teriyaki on the kid's menu). Storyteller's Cafe in Disney's Grand Californian is another favorite. If the kids order pizza, they get to put all the toppings on themselves. Hook's Pointe at the Disneyland Hotel is also nice, I'm sure they'd have fun at Goofy's Diner as well!!!

SandraVB79
01-19-2006, 02:05 AM
I'd go for the Blue Bayou (since Club 33 can't be booked). So what if the food is not the best in the world? If I want great food, I'll go to a great restaurant at home, if I want a great atmosphere and wonderful theming, I'll go to Disneyland.
(If I want both, I'll go to Disneyland Paris, hehe!)

hlbtimes2
01-19-2006, 08:21 AM
You can also make reservations (priority seating) for the carnation cafe on main street. I've only had breakfast there, it was good. Its not huge on theme, and there arent characters- but the food should be good, they serve you at your table (unlike most places in the park), and the prices are pretty reasonable. If you are looking for theme/ characters and something different I would go to Ariel's in CA.

jdee
01-19-2006, 08:36 AM
The Plaza Inn isn't just for Birthdays. The fried chicken dinner is really good. The portions are big and can easily serve two. The suggestion about a late lunch at the BB is perfect. I perfer the lunch menu at the BB and the atmostphere is really great, espically if you can be seated by the water. And don't forget the mint julep Bon Appétit!

I Heart Disneyland!
01-19-2006, 09:13 AM
DISCLAIMER: Blue Bayou will be closed this spring during the Pirates refurb (March 6 - June 16), so depending on when you go, this may not be an option.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! I will be there during that time and I NEED a monte cristo. Oh man!

geoffa
01-19-2006, 09:30 AM

I'd have to go for Blue Bayou alhough I've never done the one at Anaheim.
The Paris version is Blue Lagoon (identical layout):) and is just SO atmospheric. Be sure to ask for a "water" table - this means you're near the river and can see the fireflies and hear the cicadas.

bassett1976
01-19-2006, 09:53 AM
For me, Club 33, but the chances of me getting to ever go are remote to slim...

As a backup, Blue Bayou is always a great place.

For a place I've never been, Grandville's Steakhouse.

geoffa
01-19-2006, 10:21 AM
For me, Club 33, but the chances of me getting to ever go are remote to slim...

As a backup, Blue Bayou is always a great place.

For a place I've never been, Grandville's Steakhouse.

When you go to Club 33 can I please come with you? PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE!:)

MammaSilva
01-19-2006, 10:22 AM
Keeping in mind the OP mentioned 5 year old twins....I've taken small children to the BB, it wasn't pretty....the atmosphere is 'lost' on them, it's dark, the food 'looks' different and it "smells" (according to the last 7 year old I took and no it wasn't one of my grandsons, it was another small person)....from experience I'd say pick a place that is very kid friendly as opposed to 'adult/older kid' atmosphere. The OP doesn't mention if the twins are male/female, but if they're girls, my vote would be Ariels just for the princess interaction. If they're boys, I'd say Goofys kitchen for the character interaction. Keep in mind, if you want "fine dining" a theme park might not be the first choice (we'll skip the choices over at DTD or DGC or the Club 33) you want 'familiar' and fun.

SandraVB79
01-19-2006, 11:31 AM
I have to know: what it mint julep?

tlovesdis
01-19-2006, 11:38 AM
One choice, in the park? BLUE BAYOU no question!

compir99
01-19-2006, 11:40 AM
I really like the Plaza Inn right across from the castle.

MsYumiBr
01-19-2006, 12:30 PM
I have to know: what it mint julep?
Mint Julep is a drink they sell at the restaurant next to the train station in NOS. It is green and personally I think it tastes like Vicks cough syrup. Just not strong like that and sweeter. I like it, but can't drink too much of it. Think of a mint lemonade.

geoffa
01-19-2006, 12:36 PM
I have to know: what is mint julep?

A REAL Mint Julep:
You will need:

2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups water (branch water is ideal)
Fresh Mint
Crushed Ice
Kentucky Bourbon (2 ounces per serving)

Make a simple mint syrup* by boiling sugar and water together for 5 minutes; cool. Place in a covered container with 6 or 8 bruised mint sprigs. Refrigerate overnight.
Make a julep by filling a julep cup* or glass with crushed ice, then adding 1 tablespoon of mint syrup and 2 ounces of bourbon. Stir rapidly with a spoon to frost outside of cup or glass. Garnish with a fresh mint sprig..

*This makes enough syrup for about 44 juleps.

Extra Tips:
# Always use a premium Kentucky bourbon
# Use crushed or shaved ice and pack in cup.
# To bruise mint, place in a cup and gently pass the back of a spoon between cup and the leaves a time or two. You want the mint to release some of the fragrant oils.
# Add a straw cut to protrude just above the rim of the cup and serve. You should be able to get a faint whiff of the mint sprig when you're sipping.
# Keep the covered syrup in the refrigerator (after removing the mint leaves) if you don't plan on drinking all the servings.. Enjoy later....

Being DL - leave out the Bourbon.

The drink is an acquired taste rather like a cold, sweet version of Moroccan Mint tea:)

MermaidHair
01-19-2006, 12:49 PM
I do not know if they take reservations but you could try the Rainforest Cafe in DTD. We went to the one in SF last weekend and the kids loved it. I thought the food was just ok but I did not expect much, given the type of restaurant it is. (also, I am watching my weight so that limits my choices) However the spectacle of it all was amazing.