PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Advice from CM's - RE: Lost merchandise

Pages : [1] 2

mikemgmve
01-18-2006, 11:42 AM
So it's a bit of a long-story. I was there with my boyfriend's family 2 weekends ago. We were there for a few days, staying at a hotel right off-site, etc, for his sisters birthday. We entered the park on Saturday morning, and I found it incredibly sunny and bright - unexpected, so i ended up shelling out about $30 for a hat and pair of sunglasses. I dropped the sun glasses twice in the course of the day, with one of the lenses popping out both times. D'oh! This is why I rarely wear sunglasses... I ruin them!

However, the hat I bought at the emporium that morning I then lost less than an hour after purchase on the matterhorn. This has NEVER happened to me before, so I was a bit annoyed. Obviously it happens, but I was mad none the less. I didn't take it out on any of the CM's, but did ask nicely what I should do - and if going to the Emporium with the receipt and explaining what happened would do any good. They said I could try, but also to check back throughout the day for when they did any sweeps.

So I headed back to the emporium spoke to the CM that actually sold me the hat (I think her name was Bonnie.) She told me I'd have to go to City Hall, but mentioned something about "no strings attached" that could be issued. I wasn't really clear on that and should have asked for more details.

Anyway, I headed over to City Hall and waited in line for about 20 minutes, at one point a woman decided to step right in front of me, I waited a minute before letting her kindly know that she had stepped in front of me. She quite rudely apologized and stated she had to find some sort of restroom for her handicapped son, etc, and by the time she got through the line he will have gone - I then kindly pointed out there was one with wheelchair access right there next to us. But that wasn't what she wanted, so she wandered off to enter the exit of city hall to find out... I was really being friendly and nice and suggesting options, even though she stepped right in front of me in line without acknowledging me at all. I tell you frustration was mounting!

I finally made it, explained my situation, showed my reciept, everything. I was told me the CM that it would be appreciated if I would follow their steps for lost belongings, she told me what the procedure was and what to do, but likely myhat would not be retrievable until the end of the day. I again explained my frustration because it was a sunny day, and waiting till the end of the day was pretty much my only option, or, as she suggested - "buy another." I didn't say anything, I thanked her and left, but honestly, was quite aggravated at being told to buy another. (I eventually did buy another one)

I decided to wait till the next morning, since we were attending the character breakfast at the Disneyland Hotel, I made two stops at the Lost & Found during the day, nothing yet, but I filled out a lost hat form, and was told "not to worry!" by a happy CM. Good feelings.

I recieve a package in the mail that Tuesday (wow that was quick!) Unfortunately, it's the wrong hat. It's not even the right color I wrote down. Anywho, I haven't been back yet, and plan to return the lost hat that's not mine. I emailed Disneyland pretty much this entire story in a more abridged form.

I concluded with something similar to the following: (trying to make it sound as uncringeworthy as possible, because honestly I hate when people think they are owed something - and I'm aware hats are lost ALL the time at Disneyland).

"I'm a premium AP holder who has already visited the park more than a dozen times in the past 4 months. I commonly spend anywhere from $10-$40 on food and merchandise each visit, sometimes more. I understand the process I have to follow, and have followed it, but have still not gotten any satisfactory results. I respect the Disney corporation immensely, but honestly became quite frustrated when the "best advice" I recieved was to simply "buy another.""

Again, I cringed a little at myself for writing it, but I wanted to get the point across that I already spend a lot of my hard earned money at the resort. I've yet to get a response, I only sent it yesterday, but I wanted to post this my story to get some perspective on some possible advice to follow from an employee point of view, so I can get as far as possible with my situation. In the email I wrote that all I really want is my hat, or a replacement (of the same one.) I don't want money, or a credit. The hat is being sold still in the Emporium...

Thoughts?

(Apologies for the length of this post! AY CHIHUAHUA!)

hlbtimes2
01-18-2006, 11:50 AM
Sorry you lost your hat.

However, do you really thing Disney is responsible and should replace it? You wore it on a roller coaster, it flew off, its lost. Its really not their fault. Do you know how many hats and sunglasses get lost in a day at the park? I'm guessing more then either of us could guess!

mikemgmve
01-18-2006, 12:42 PM
I know, and I agree. I even stated that as well, and have kept that in mind throughout everything. I realize they gather tons of hats and such everyday. Part of me just wants to get my hat back, and have yet to do so through their process. I'm worried now that because they sent me a hat, they are no longer looking for my hat.

hlbtimes2
01-18-2006, 12:50 PM
My honest guess is, they sent your hat to someone else. I'm guessing they got the addresses flip flopped.

mikemgmve
01-18-2006, 12:55 PM
Well I'm not sure. I filled out my form, color was dark brown. I saw on my reciept it was called a "disneyland vintage" hat. So i told them it said Disneyland in vintage writing on it.

The hat I recieved actually said "vintage" on it, and was Disney, but it was a light gray. It likely is gone by now, and of course I'll live with it if I can't do anything, but I wouldn't mind trying do as much as possible to get something back if it's at all possible.

The one Emporium CM did allude to some "no strings attached" policy, but didn't give much in the way of details.

Wesley815
01-18-2006, 03:24 PM
You (not Disney) lost the hat, hundreds of hats & sunglasses are lost or left behind everyday... it's not Disney's fault, nor should they have to "comp" you in anyway at all.

Just be more careful with your personal items in the future. Live and learn.

Crazy4DL
01-18-2006, 03:35 PM
The one Emporium CM did allude to some "no strings attached" policy, but didn't give much in the way of details.

I am guessing the CM was trying to nicely tell you that once you buy the hat, if you lost it or damaged it, even if by accident, there was little DL could do about it. I know of no business that sells you something with a "if you lose it soon after buying it, you can come back and we will replace it for you" guarantee.

I am certainly sorry you lost your hat and really sorry if they found your hat only to accidentally send it to the wrong person. How frustrating!

One of those things that is just a part of life.

AVP
01-18-2006, 03:38 PM
The one Emporium CM did allude to some "no strings attached" policy, but didn't give much in the way of details.No Strings Attatched is a program used by leads and managers for "Guest Recovery" situations.

Basically they have a little pad of forms that they can use to issue vouchers of sorts to guests, which the guests can then redeem for specific food or merchandise items.

For example, if a server dropped a glass of grape juice on a guest, a manager could give the guest a NSA voucher good for say, a "t-shirt up to $25" or a "sweatshirt up to $50," or whatever to replace the ruined shirt.

I've heard of other situations where NSA vouchers were issued for complimentary meals when Disney was somewhat to blame for something that had a major negative impact on a guest experience.

I've also heard of situations where NSA vouchers were issued to guests who were complaining about something that was just so totally ridiculous that the lead gave in just to get the people out of City Hall - I'd provide examples but it would incriminate the CMs involved. :~D

Based on what little I know of this situation, and what I know of the NSA proceedure, there is really no reason why the Emporium CM should have even mentioned it to you as an option, because Disney really wasn't to blame here.

Had a Disney horse snatched your hat off your head and chomped it, or a mis-aimed jet of water from a Jungle Cruise elephant knocked it into the water, that would be one thing. But you admit that you wore a hat onto a ride that has warning signs posted all over the place telling you not to do it, and so I don't understand why you expected Disney to tell you anything other than "buy another one."

Disney offers a service by even running a lost and found, and has no obligation to try to find your hat, much less ship it to you at no cost. I understand that you are disapointed - I'm STILL disapointed that they never found MY FAVORITE SWEATSHIRT after I lost it during Minnie's Moonlight Madness - but I can't understand what you expected them to do differently.

AVP

cstephens
01-18-2006, 05:20 PM
I didn't say anything, I thanked her and left, but honestly, was quite aggravated at being told to buy another.

I'm not really sure what else you expected her to do. I understand your frustration that it being a sunny day, even getting the hat back at the end of the night wasn't going to help you during the day, but what other solution did you expect other than that they recommend that you buy another hat? Even though you had your receipt and you told them what happened, there's no way for them to know that you aren't just trying to scam them.

"I'm a premium AP holder who has already visited the park more than a dozen times in the past 4 months. I commonly spend anywhere from $10-$40 on food and merchandise each visit, sometimes more. I understand the process I have to follow, and have followed it, but have still not gotten any satisfactory results. I respect the Disney corporation immensely, but honestly became quite frustrated when the "best advice" I recieved was to simply "buy another."

Here's me cringing about as much as I could possibly cringe. The litany of listing your credentials as an AP and how many times you've gone there and how much money you've spent screams stereotypical entitlement-laden card-carrying AP-holder. And none of that has any bearing on them taking any responsibility for IT BEING YOUR FAULT THAT YOU LOST THE HAT.

Again, I cringed a little at myself for writing it, but I wanted to get the point across that I already spend a lot of my hard earned money at the resort.

And maybe the next time, you'll be more careful with items that you've spent your hard-earned money on.

In the email I wrote that all I really want is my hat, or a replacement (of the same one.) I don't want money, or a credit.

Again, why is it that you feel they are obligated to replace a hat that you lost, that was through no fault of theirs? I understand that you want your hat back, but it's possible it's somewhere not accessible, or that someone who found it did not turn it in. And actually, you do want money - you just want it in the form of a hat that you don't want to buy to replace the hat that you were responsible for losing.

I realize that I sound like a broken record since I'm reiterating what others have already said, and I think I repeated myself several times in the course of this post, but I honestly cannot imagine how someone can expect Disney to "make good" a situation where the person is completely responsible for the loss and Disney has no culpability whatsoever.

I lost a hat there last year that I was really mad about - and I was disappointed it wasn't returned, but then, I didn't really expect it to be. There's no way for me to replace the hat short of buying it off ebay, and considering I'd dropped it a few times before finally losing it, I was a complete idiot for not taking care of it.

blueckles
01-18-2006, 05:34 PM
I completely understand your frustrations in losing something. MANY years ago, I had left my disposable camera somewhere on a ride. I don't even remember what ride it was to be honest. Anyhow, being in junior high, I was devastated that I wasn't going to have my camera with all my pictures. I don't remember exactly what I did when I was there (in respects to talking to a CM about it) but when I came home, my mom had me call their lost and found. They filled out something over the phone and lo and behold, a few weeks later, it came in the mail. Now, this was a disposable camera mind you. I think I may have had my name on it, but I'm not sure. I was truly amazed.

I'm not sure it's exactly the same, but I remember that being able to have my voice and my concerns heard meant a lot to me. It wasn't that I expected Disney to make everything better and give me half the park, and I had figured that it was unlikely to get the camera back, but just to have an understanding and sympathetic voice on the other end made it better. Sometimes, that's all you need.

MermaidHair
01-18-2006, 05:49 PM
I cannot offer you words of wisdom as I am not a CM. However, I totally understand where you are coming from on wanting additional help from the CMs on your hat issue. Knowing that your hat was in the general vicinity of the Matterhorn and you can't go in there and look for it yourself is frustrating. I bet if they originally told you to come back at, a specific time (not just check back throughout the day) and you could look in the bin of hats they collected off of the Matterhorn that morning you would have been happy (and probably would have found your hat!). I also bet getting some additional suggestions on how to make the lost and found claim procedure work better for you would appease you some. I agree with the other poster who said they probably sent your hat to someone else. My sympathies with your frustration.

mikemgmve
01-18-2006, 07:20 PM
Thanks to those that replied with more of a sympathetic ear.

As I had it brow-beaten into me into this topic by some replies, I pretty much made it clear originally that I am aware that Disneyland owes me jack in return, and that yes it is MY fault for losing the hat.

Again the point of this thread was to get any tips for a possible resolution that would be to my own benefit (duh). Thanks to those that helped, and to those who explained the No Strings Attached program (which I would never have raised that much of a stink over to use anyway.)

Truth be told when I go back to Disneyland, return the lost hat to the lost and found, and hopefully fill out a new form (unless they advise me its pointless at that time), if I ask them if there is nothing else that can be done (as nicely as possible), and they tell me no, then that will be that.

And as far as stating my AP status, I could have only ever done that in a face-less email. I don't think I could say that aloud seriously.

ToursbabeC3po
01-18-2006, 07:41 PM
Based on what little I know of this situation, and what I know of the NSA proceedure, there is really no reason why the Emporium CM should have even mentioned it to you as an option, because Disney really wasn't to blame here.
You are 100% correct!

NSA is for extreme situations not for people that misplace or loose things. Also when a department gives out a NSA it comes out of that departments budget so it is a last resort.

When I worked in attractions they questioned every NSA we handed out to guest and it is not something we could give out unless all other options had been exhasted.

The cast member that told the OP about the NSA's was completely out of line. It was not Disney's fault that the hat was lost so it should not be replaced. I have heard them being used for people who get there hand bags stollen and have no money to eat for the rest of the day or if a waiter or waitress spills something on a guest they will comp them a shirt but not for lost merchandise.

TP2000
01-18-2006, 08:45 PM
Disneyland's legal disclaimer on every admission ticket they sell, including AP's, is that they are "Not responsible for lost or stolen items". Period. End of story. Anything they do beyond that is icing on the cake, and in your specific instance Disneyland has already applied a giant heap of free icing.

You made several mistakes here, and for someone who visits Disneyland "more than a dozen times in the last 4 months" (your words) those mistakes you made were even more inexusable. You wore an inexpensive souvenir hat on a world famous roller coaster that you've been on before, and it flew off. That is your fault, and Disneyland really doesn't owe you a thing.

Disneyland has already gone way above and beyond in customer service for your lost hat. That Disneyland even ships lost items back to people AT NO COST just floors me, and tells me Disney really is the best at what they do.

Since you visit Disneyland over a dozen times in a year, why not just buy a new hat on your next visit? And this time, hang on to it when you ride the Matterhorn. ;-)

WITron
01-18-2006, 09:24 PM
While we were on our trip we lost our camera bag at the park and in it were my wife's and daughter's park hopper tickets. Fortunately the bag and the tickets were at lost and found when I went there, but if it hadn't I knew that it was my fault that I lost the bag and would have to pay for new tickets.

mikemgmve
01-18-2006, 10:45 PM
Disneyland's legal disclaimer on every admission ticket they sell, including AP's, is that they are "Not responsible for lost or stolen items". Period. End of story. Anything they do beyond that is icing on the cake, and in your specific instance Disneyland has already applied a giant heap of free icing.

You made several mistakes here, and for someone who visits Disneyland "more than a dozen times in the last 4 months" (your words) those mistakes you made were even more inexusable. You wore an inexpensive souvenir hat on a world famous roller coaster that you've been on before, and it flew off. That is your fault, and Disneyland really doesn't owe you a thing.

Disneyland has already gone way above and beyond in customer service for your lost hat. That Disneyland even ships lost items back to people AT NO COST just floors me, and tells me Disney really is the best at what they do.

Since you visit Disneyland over a dozen times in a year, why not just buy a new hat on your next visit? And this time, hang on to it when you ride the Matterhorn. ;-)

As I now find I have to keep repeating myself, here it is again. Yes I am aware that I am responsible for my lost hat. I'm not claiming Disney owes me anything. But I don't think $25 equals an "inexpensive" hat. They weren't mouse ears. And as also already stated, I ended up buying another hat anyway because the sunglasses were not enough. Also the fact that I've ridden the matterhorn dozens of times with hats on and never lost one, also says that I am very careful with my own personal belongings, so it's not something that happens all the time for me.

The point of this thread was to get any tips from those in the know if there were any further options I did not yet already try. Because as someone who simply lost something, ON MY OWN ACCORD and to which DISNEY OWES ME NOTHING, trying to get it back in some way is something anyone would want to do. I don't think the basis of this question is really all that "out there" even though many seem to want to remind me how fortunate I am that Disney has already been so very helpful.

I would have much more appreciated a response of something to the effect that there is currently nothing more that can be done until the end of the day /checking lost and found from the lady at City Hall as to being told to go out and spend even more money on yet more merchandise. That is all.

mikemgmve
01-18-2006, 10:48 PM
While we were on our trip we lost our camera bag at the park and in it were my wife's and daughter's park hopper tickets. Fortunately the bag and the tickets were at lost and found when I went there, but if it hadn't I knew that it was my fault that I lost the bag and would have to pay for new tickets.

My best friend actually lost her ID at one point on our trip, and was able to get it back within a few hours. I think she left it at a restaurant when we paid for lunch or something.

SandraVB79
01-19-2006, 04:54 AM
If you think Disney owes you nothing, why did you even bother to go back to the Emporium? If you buy a purse at Macy's and loose it, will you return to Macy's? I wouldn't, I would go to the police station to report my bag as lost/ stolen and call my bank to block my credit cards and bank account, so nobody could get my money (other than the cash in the purse)

I also think you can't expect CMs closing the Matterhorn to go look for your hat. Next time, don't wear a hat while ON the ride, it's not that long that you won't survive it without hat.

As for the CMs at City Hall/ Lost & Found: what do you expect more from them? You filled out the forms, they looked for your hat, sent you one, and OK, it wasn't the right one. As for the colors: probably they found a hat that matched your description, except for the color, and thought it was yours, that you just described it wrong. What do you expect more? That they close the park, so everyone can go look for your hat?

I'm sorry if my answer doesn't suit your expectations, this is just my opinion :)

mikemgmve
01-19-2006, 06:26 AM
If you think Disney owes you nothing, why did you even bother to go back to the Emporium? If you buy a purse at Macy's and loose it, will you return to Macy's? I wouldn't, I would go to the police station to report my bag as lost/ stolen and call my bank to block my credit cards and bank account, so nobody could get my money (other than the cash in the purse)

I also think you can't expect CMs closing the Matterhorn to go look for your hat. Next time, don't wear a hat while ON the ride, it's not that long that you won't survive it without hat.

As for the CMs at City Hall/ Lost & Found: what do you expect more from them? You filled out the forms, they looked for your hat, sent you one, and OK, it wasn't the right one. As for the colors: probably they found a hat that matched your description, except for the color, and thought it was yours, that you just described it wrong. What do you expect more? That they close the park, so everyone can go look for your hat?

I'm sorry if my answer doesn't suit your expectations, this is just my opinion :)

Yes, that is exactly it. I expected them to bow before me, close all the rides and search for my hat. I actually had hoped they'd close the entire park, and escort all the guests to their cars (refunding their tickets on the way) so that I may have a better chance at getting my hat back.

(As stated, they told me check back at the matterhorn since they sometimes do sweeps during the day if the ride closes down for whatever reasons.)

JookyG
01-19-2006, 09:29 AM
An important lesson learned (hopfully) about heeding the ride warnings.

"Hang onto your hats and glasses, folks, because this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!"

I Heart Disneyland!
01-19-2006, 09:43 AM
I'm so sorry you've lost your hat...especially after just purchasing it. That being said, (not to sound abrasive) but, I don't think DL should be held responsible in any way, and I also don't think they should give you a free hat. (Don't shoot...just giving my .02!)

We've lost many things over the years at DL and we also go often and spend tons of dough. I guess wearing a hat on a ride that could whisk it away should be avoided by holding on to your "Hats and glasses". :)

I am still sorry you lost your hat...that's like money just being thrown away, isn't it? :( :(

cstephens
01-19-2006, 09:44 AM
Again the point of this thread was to get any tips for a possible resolution that would be to my own benefit (duh).

Ummm, buy another hat to replace the one that you lost? Or did you mean you wanted suggestions on how to coerce Disney into compensating you for losing your own hat?

And as far as stating my AP status, I could have only ever done that in a face-less email. I don't think I could say that aloud seriously.

So you wouldn't have engaged in obnoxiously announcing your AP status in person, but you figured it was ok to do in writing?

But I don't think $25 equals an "inexpensive" hat.

Whether it's inexpensive or expensive has no bearing on the situation. You keep stating yourself that you lost the hat due to your own negligence, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

But I guess that means that if I splurge and buy one of those $200 watches from the Main Street watch shop and then I lose it, I can expect them to replace it for me for free.

And as also already stated, I ended up buying another hat anyway because the sunglasses were not enough.

I went back and read through your posts again, and I must be missing something because I can't find the part where you say you bought another hat.

hlbtimes2
01-19-2006, 11:29 AM
I went back and read through your posts again, and I must be missing something because I can't find the part where you say you bought another hat.

At the end of the 5th paragraph in ( ). :)

cstephens
01-19-2006, 11:45 AM
At the end of the 5th paragraph in ( ). :)

Thanks! My mistake in missing that every time I read through it.

hlbtimes2
01-19-2006, 12:09 PM
Thanks! My mistake in missing that every time I read through it.

I only found it because I was looking for it. LOL