PDA

View Full Version : Rod Miller Retiring

Pages : [1] 2

RobRoz
01-14-2006, 07:03 AM
Is Rod Miller back yet ? ( the piano player @Coke Corner)

Darkbeer
01-14-2006, 09:35 AM
He has decided to retire, and will not be back.

Someone who knows him told me that he is finishing up some vacation leave and sometime in the next week or so, he will officially no longer be a Cast Member.

disneyperson
01-14-2006, 10:00 AM
I will miss him. I like Alan (an amazing musician) and the other piano guys, but Mr. Miller was something special. I hope he enjoys his well deserved retirement.

Noah
01-14-2006, 10:16 AM
No one last show send off?
It would be nice to have a little gathering with all the fans filling the coke corner or pavillion piano and wishing him well.

Opus1guy
01-14-2006, 10:24 AM
I always hate referring to people as "fixtures" at a place because it has such an inanimate sound to it. But in the nicest sense of the word...Rod really was a fixture at Disneyland.

He'll be missed not only for his talents as a musician, but for his warm and friendly personality on-stage.

I don't think I've ever spent more than 20 minutes total talking to him in his entire time at Disneyland. We mainly just smiled and said "Hi" to each other every time I walked by him playing the piano. But he always recognized me and remembered my name and took the time to walk up and say hello if he spotted me somewhere else in the Park. I wish now that I had taken the time to get to know him better.

I've always wondered if he really enjoyed his Disneyland job, because I find it hard to imagine sitting there day after day for years pounding out tunes on the keyboard, even if it was at a great place like Disneyland.

So here's hoping he truly enjoyed his time performing at Disneyland as much as the millions of guests enjoyed watching and hearing him did. And wishing he enjoys his deserved retirement for many more years to come.

Perhaps we'll able to see him as a fellow "Guest" at Disneyland sometime in the future?

:)

Darkbeer
01-14-2006, 10:27 AM
This is a GUESS, and only a guess, but his medical problems that made him go on disability might have not allowed him to play in the style he is used to. And he felt that it was better to retire, then to not to live up to his prior high standards. Therefore no last "concert".

I hope he has a GREAT retirement.

And I hope there is a Window over at Coke Corner that will get a name ;)

evrythngwmn
01-14-2006, 11:25 AM
I've always wondered if he really enjoyed his Disneyland job, because I find it hard to imagine sitting there day after day for years pounding out tunes on the keyboard, even if it was at a great place like Disneyland.

So here's hoping he truly enjoyed his time performing at Disneyland as much as the millions of guests enjoyed watching and hearing him did. And wishing he enjoys his deserved retirement for many more years to come.

Perhaps we'll able to see him as a fellow "Guest" at Disneyland sometime in the future?

:)

When I would speak to him on his way out Harbor Point he always had a smile on his face. He was one of those CMs that you could always count on a pleasant exchange with. I'll miss him.

potzbie
01-14-2006, 11:31 AM
Was it something I heard or something I read?

Rod Miller is quoted to have said, "Since I starting playing piano, I've never had to work for a living."

disneyperson
01-14-2006, 11:43 AM
Zero and I spoke to him at length on several occasions.We always spent an hour or two out of every visit listening to him and relaxing on Coca Cola Corner. Even though we visit only a few times a year, he always remembered us by name and seemed very pleased to see us. I've spoken to some of his friends and co workers and I think it's safe to say that he not only liked his job,he loved it.

I miss him.I will never walk down Main Street without thinking of him and sending him a good thought. (darn, getting teary now)

h_lehmann
01-14-2006, 08:08 PM
This is sad news indeed. Coming from DarkBeer, I'm going to assume it's true, and not just some idle rumor. For the past six months or so, every time we asked someone about Rod's return the answer has always been "well, maybe next month." After a while I realized that he wasn't recuperating as fast as he had hoped, and that maybe he wasn't coming back at all.

My family has been coming to the park for years now, but it wasn't until about five years ago that we "discovered" that guy at Coke Corner that always playing the piano. My DS has also been playing the piano for about 5 years now; whenever we got tired at the end of the day we would grab a table, and my son would pull his chair up next to the piano and stare intently at Rod's hands moving across the keyboard. After a while he picked up a pretty mean version of the Maple Leaf Rag.

http://www.tinybackyard.com/album05/2004_12_24_13_47_58

The other players (Alan, Johnny,..) are also good in their own way, and they're always happy to let guests try their own hand at the keyboard (something Rod never seemed to do, at least never while we were there). Rod, on the other hand, rather than disappear between sets, would sit and talk to my son, reminding him to practice as much as possible. He always had fascinating stories to tell.

Rod, if you are truly not coming back to play at the park, you will be missed. I agree with the other poster; Rod deserves a window above Coke Corner. At the very least, I hope he gets included in www.yesterland.com.

TikiGeek
01-15-2006, 10:25 AM
We have been missing Rod since he went on medical leave last February. Disneyland is not the same without him. Every trip we would spend hours sitting at the "Table" listening and talking to him - we also enjoyed the company of the other "Table" regulars and people from all over the world that visited Rod.

I think dedicating the window that he sat in front of at Refreshment/Coke Corner for 35+ years would be a fitting tribute to him.

He can now sometimes be found sitting next to the piano with friends on Friday/Saturday nights when Alan Thompson (his protege) is playing.

God bless Rod - we wish the very best for him.

TENORDRUMMER
01-18-2006, 10:50 AM
Wow this is sad news. Rod Miller retiring. This, indeed, is another end of an era at the park. He was the greatest at ragtime piano playing. I remember a couple of years prior to be hired as a cast member in 1977, I took my tape recorder and went to Coke Corner and spent some time recording a bunch of songs that Rod played for me. I still have the tape today and should get it transferred to cd, so I can preserve this in the Disney collection. You can hear him talking and having a great time. He sure loved what he did. This is truly sad news.

Glenn

Opus1guy
01-18-2006, 11:19 AM
FYI...there was another thread on this just 4 days ago:

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=52219

;)

ToursbabeC3po
01-18-2006, 05:56 PM
He is truely AWESOME! He will be missed but it was time for him to retire he has not looked well. We love you Rod!

I Heart Disneyland!
02-10-2006, 11:13 AM
My husband just this morning asked me, "Will Rod Miller ever be playing again?" The past 2 trips we made in 2005, he was missing. :( I am SOOOOO sad to know he's not returning. That breaks my heart. We always rushed to Coke Corner to look for him. :crying: :crying:

WITron
02-10-2006, 08:43 PM
I got to know Rod a little when I was a CM in the late 80's/early 90's and really enjoyed talking to hime. Even after moving to Wisconsin and only having rare chances to visit the park he remembered who I was and we would enjoy a few minutes catching up. He will truely be missed.

RStar
02-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Yes, this is sad news.First I found out that Western Union has shuddered it's telegram service, and now this. I sure hope Rod's health will allow him to enjoy his retirement. I also hope he hangs at DL with us a bit. It would be great to see him again.

My wife and I first met him when we were dating back in the early 80s. Then we started bringing the kids to the park and he watched them grow up. they are older now, and we go to the park with out them and he always asks about them. A wonderfull man who will be missed.

I hope they give him a window. Piano Lessons by Rod Miller.

~Bob

PapiBear
02-11-2006, 12:00 AM
Perhaps Imagineering can create a Rod Miller audio-animatronic figure that always plays piano at Coke Corner and never needs a break or a vacation. It wouldn't be that difficult to program a player piano using Rod's actual piano recordings as a basis.

stan4d_steph
02-11-2006, 07:18 AM
Perhaps Imagineering can create a Rod Miller audio-animatronic figure that always plays piano at Coke Corner and never needs a break or a vacation. It wouldn't be that difficult to program a player piano using Rod's actual piano recordings as a basis.That seems kind of creepy to me.

ToursbabeC3po
02-11-2006, 07:47 AM
He will be Missed I am so happy my Kids got to know him before he left. He always let MY DD stand next to him while he played and she always asks about him. Thanks for all the good times Rod!

cstephens
02-11-2006, 08:36 AM
Perhaps Imagineering can create a Rod Miller audio-animatronic figure that always plays piano at Coke Corner and never needs a break or a vacation. It wouldn't be that difficult to program a player piano using Rod's actual piano recordings as a basis.

All of the music, none of the personality.

Another Dimension
02-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Maybe Rod's fans should start up a collection and get him a brick in the Esplanade.

Disneyland will most likely never give Rod a window.
Disneyland refused to give Edwin a plaque in NOS, after DL recieved letters and testimonials from CMs and Guests, but Disney was cool with Edwin Pleasants eventually getting a Brick. Even with that brick as a memorial.

Rods biggest fans... or all of his fans, should at least donate a buck or two and score the man a Retirement/Thank You/You Will Never Be Forgetten brick.

In addition to Rods ... Maynard's fans should get him one ASAP!! :D

PapiBear
02-12-2006, 04:39 AM
That seems kind of creepy to me.Oh, so they can do it for US Presidents but not for a piano player?:D

Well, what about no audio-animatronic figure, just a player piano that plays Rod Miller-recording-based music? It's either that or a new guy who has a HUGE shadow to live under for the next decade or so.

TikiGeek
02-12-2006, 06:42 AM
It's either that or a new guy who has a HUGE shadow to live under for the next decade or so.That's O.K. - the new guy, Alan Thompson, is already casting his own shadow and part of that is Rod's legacy - Alan is Rod's protege and the other half of four-hand-piano. :)

Another Dimension
02-13-2006, 12:39 AM
No comments...?
Great fans? I guess Rod doesn't deserve a Brick.

You will be missed Rod.. :(