PDA

View Full Version : Rental Car tips?

MermaidHair
01-17-2006, 01:35 PM
We are flying in and out of Long Beach airport and it looks like it will cost about the same to rent a car for 3 days than take a taxi/shuttle. My question is do any of you have any good tips for getting rental car discounts? If I can get it cheaper I can get a bigger car (Good for us because DH and I are both 6 feet tall). Our trip is in March and most of the online coupons/discounts I see these days expire in the end of Jan. Thanks for your suggestions.

MammaSilva
01-17-2006, 01:49 PM
If you belong to Costco or Sams club try looking at the rates thru them.

bassett1976
01-17-2006, 01:58 PM
check out mousesavers.com They have codes for almost every company. Also, try sidestep.com and use their consolidation (or another term) to check out all the prices.

lauramaynot
01-17-2006, 03:36 PM
Check with your insurance company, we always get discounts through them that never expire. Also AAA and many other travel companies offer discounts. If you bought your trip through a travel company they usually give discounts for cars.

kkmickey
01-17-2006, 05:26 PM
I have often found good deals through Breezenet.com

bobster
01-17-2006, 07:51 PM
I just got back from MLK weekend trip. Booked car through Orbitz for 19.99 per day from Budget. If you drive less than 75 miles they charge a flat 9.88 and you do not have to bring the tank back full. We flew into Orange County but found it was just as cheap as taking the shuttle for our short stay. We got a Chevy Cobalt which I fit in just fine, and I am 6'4".

Wendi
01-17-2006, 08:39 PM
If you have an entertainment book you'll find many discount coupons for different rental companies. I just used it for 20% an Enterprise rental ($11.66/day for the second category up (compact, I think) from LAX).

MermaidHair
01-18-2006, 09:24 AM
wow - seems like some of you got great deals! I am going to keep looking up until I leave to get the best rate but you all have helped a lot. Thanks!

Wendi
01-18-2006, 09:53 AM
wow - seems like some of you got great deals! I am going to keep looking up until I leave to get the best rate but you all have helped a lot. Thanks!

Just wanted to add that LAX generally has rates that are about half the price of other SoCal airports, so I wouldn't expect to pay such a low rate everywhere... one of the perks of flying into LAX I guess!