PDA

View Full Version : Trial run of Fastpass change

Pages : [1] 2 3

cstephens
03-30-2002, 12:07 AM
Having Good Friday off as a holiday where I work and having friends visiting from out of town resulted in my being at the resort on a rare Friday. Both parks were quite crowded, with standby lines of up to 2 hours and return times on Fastpass being hours later. The return time for Fastpass on Haunted Mansion at about 3:40 was after 7:30, and the return time for Fastpass at Soarin’ Over California at 1:30 was 7:45pm. While we were getting our Soarin’ Fastpasses, the CM mentioned that they’d been having a trial run for about 4 days of having the Soarin’ Fastpass be a "freebie", meaning that you could have a Soarin’ Fastpass and still get a Fastpass elsewhere without having to wait for the Fastpass time or two hours to lapse, like normal. When I got my Fastpass, I noticed that it didn’t say on the bottom of the Fastpass when I’d be able to get another Fastpass, so I had thought that was rather odd until the CM explained. She said that the rule was also applying to Haunted Mansion and either Indy or Pirates, she couldn’t remember which, and I didn’t have a chance to check. She said they were testing out letting people have two Fastpasses at a time.

BTW, the Fastpass for Blast doesn’t count either since they don’t ask to see admission media and you don’t use a machine - you just ask the CM at the podium for the number of tickets you want for your preferred showtime.

/cs

Pickles and maraschino cherries - ewwww.

Uncle Dick
03-30-2002, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by cstephens
Having Good Friday off as a holiday where I work and having friends visiting from out of town resulted in my being at the resort on a rare Friday. Both parks were quite crowded, with standby lines of up to 2 hours and return times on Fastpass being hours later. The return time for Fastpass on Haunted Mansion at about 3:40 was after 7:30, and the return time for Fastpass at Soarin’ Over California at 1:30 was 7:45pm. While we were getting our Soarin’ Fastpasses, the CM mentioned that they’d been having a trial run for about 4 days of having the Soarin’ Fastpass be a "freebie", meaning that you could have a Soarin’ Fastpass and still get a Fastpass elsewhere without having to wait for the Fastpass time or two hours to lapse, like normal. When I got my Fastpass, I noticed that it didn’t say on the bottom of the Fastpass when I’d be able to get another Fastpass, so I had thought that was rather odd until the CM explained. She said that the rule was also applying to Haunted Mansion and either Indy or Pirates, she couldn’t remember which, and I didn’t have a chance to check. She said they were testing out letting people have two Fastpasses at a time.
On Thursday, it was Pirates and HM that had the "free" Fastpass. Makes sense to me, especially because of the incredible efficiency of both attractions. It strikes me as odd that Soarin' would be "free" considering its awful capacity, but then again DCA only has a few Fastpass attractions to choose from (for ITTBAB and MuppetVision Fastpass is useless). I'll probably stick with Single Rider on Soarin'.

MonorailMan
03-30-2002, 05:54 AM
On you last trip I was signed in by a CM, but took along my AP anyhow, I find out you can still get a FP even if you didn't use your AP to get in the park. :D Going to try my CM ticket next time we go to see if I get a bonus one. :)

Also, I think this "Free" FP system makes sense. :)

Ghoulish Delight
03-30-2002, 08:17 AM
Geez, it's about time. Remember when they first started Fastpass, then almost immediately they shut down Splash's machines and relocated them because they weren't working too well around the corner? That was only a couple months into Fastpass. At that time, I was talking to a CM about them. They told me THEN that they were thinking of allowing you to hold 2 FPs at once. I thought that was an excellent idea. I just wonder why the heck it took so long. It's not like it would be some huge difficult thing to implement, I could write the coding for them over the weekend if they wanted. It surprises me that it took them over a year to implement an idea that was viable enough to let CMs know (cause you and I know that CMs hear anything almost as late as the people on the customer service lines).

socabch
03-30-2002, 08:25 AM
I have a question. Might be a dumb one but here it goes. If you have a fast pass at DL, can you hold one at DCA at the same time? I guess what I'm asking is, are the two parks fast pass systems connected?

Rallymonkey23
03-30-2002, 08:26 AM
I'm just greatfull that we don't have to pay for them at Disneyland like you do at Magic Mountain. ;)

Not Afraid
03-30-2002, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by socabch
I have a question. Might be a dumb one but here it goes. If you have a fast pass at DL, can you hold one at DCA at the same time? I guess what I'm asking is, are the two parks fast pass systems connected?

Yes! You can get a FP at DL and also hold one at DCA if you're prepared to do the commuting back and forth between parks.

Uncle Dick
03-30-2002, 10:09 AM
The only problem I foresee with the ability to hold multiple Fastpasses is that on busy days, popular attractions will have their FPs depleted even faster than they are already. The "old" system kind of forced Fastpass distribution to be spread out giving late comers a chance to grab one. With Pirates and HM, this probably won't be a problem due to high capacity. Soarin', on the other hand…

RideMax Mark
03-30-2002, 01:24 PM
OK, I understand that if I grab a FP for Soarin' I can immediately go and get another FP for something else, say, Griz.

Can I do it the other way around? In other words, grab a FP for Griz, then grab another one on the "Freebie" attraction (Soarin', in this case)?

Thanks,
Mark

Uncle Dick
03-30-2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by RideMax Mark
OK, I understand that if I grab a FP for Soarin' I can immediately go and get another FP for something else, say, Griz.

Can I do it the other way around? In other words, grab a FP for Griz, then grab another one on the "Freebie" attraction (Soarin', in this case)?

Thanks,
Mark
Yep. The "free" Fastpass machines are disconnected from the system.

Morrigoon
03-30-2002, 03:25 PM
Disconnected to what degree? Are the wholly disconnected? (as in, can I use an old ticket on it and still get a FP?) Or are they only disconnected from that one function?

coronamouseman
03-30-2002, 07:53 PM
OK - given the information talked about by the posters to this thread, anybody out there thinking that perhaps the "dark side" of Fastpass is beginning to show itself?

(1) Disney had best be making sure that they post or inform guests of which rides will allow extra Fastpasses - to not do so will create chaos as some guests will understand and use that fact to their advantage while others will not know about it and then become extremely upset when they find themselves always waiting in standby or only getting on rides 6 hours after they arrive ........ at minimum one would expect that Disney issue a flyer at the gate indicating those rides where no second Fastpass is allowed and those where one is ...........

(2) It is not a very big step to allow an "instant fastpass (read: nowait option at extra cost)" to be added for hotel guests and those guests wanting to purchase a "premium" passport ........
again, in a era when Disney and other theme parks are looking to increase revenues, offering of "premium services" at very little cost to Disney themselves is a great way to improve profits - in the case of an "instant fastpass premium service" only the customers in the standby lines lose ................

At least Universal has simplified their program in each of their parks: in Hollywood, you buy the premium pass and you don't wait; in Florida, you stay in their hotel and you don't wait - fast, fair and easy to manage ............

RideMax Mark
03-30-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick

Yep. The "free" Fastpass machines are disconnected from the system.

So if Soarin' is the Freebie and I grab a Soarin' FP, when can I get the NEXT Soarin' FP?

Uncle Dick
03-30-2002, 11:46 PM
Ack! Morrigoon and RideMax Mark, I'm afraid I don't know the answers to your questions. I haven't actually tried out the system for myself; I only heard about it in passing. Perhaps tomorrow after the Breakfast Club meets we can get the bottom of it.

I would assume that all Fastpass machines are still connected to the thingy that prevents you from using past tickets in the machines but they still could be working out the bugs.

AVP
03-31-2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by coronamouseman

(2) It is not a very big step to allow an "instant fastpass (read: nowait option at extra cost)" to be added for hotel guests and those guests wanting to purchase a "premium" passport ........

They already do something like this, but I can't get the specifics nailed down. Guests who book certain packages get somewhere between 3 and 5 "anytime, anywhere" FastPasses to use on any attraction that accepts FastPass. I'm not sure if this is a Disney Club, Disney Travel, Disney Vacation Club or AAA thing, but I've seen lots of people with them.

AVP

coronamouseman
03-31-2002, 07:21 PM
AVP:

Oh, so while the unsuspecting masses wearily go about their day with their limited "one-per-customer-at-a-time" Fastpass, there are a number of "fortunate few", who either by luck or by design or by purchase have a decided advantage in terms of using the Fastpass system ...............

Doesn't that seem the least bit "Machiavellian" from the standpoint that such a program is not documented or discussed or advertized to Disney AP's, regular guests or anybody else?
I, for one, would like to know if there are going to be a multitude of "privaleged" guests running around on a day I visit so as to not waste time in standby lines that will be even longer than normal as "preferred" guests are admitted in front of me ........

And as an AP would most certainly feel that my investment had been somewhat discounted by the fact that other guests were getting preferred access which was not available to me or other APs who are providing a big source of Disney income .........

Anybody else share that slight sense of betrayal or outrage?

Anybody else out there know about this situation?

all4thx
03-31-2002, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick

On Thursday, it was Pirates and HM that had the "free" Fastpass. Makes sense to me, especially because of the incredible efficiency of both attractions. It strikes me as odd that Soarin' would be "free" considering its awful capacity, but then again DCA only has a few Fastpass attractions to choose from (for ITTBAB and MuppetVision Fastpass is useless). I'll probably stick with Single Rider on Soarin'.

What are you talking about? Soarin' Over California has an excellent capacity.

The problem with the long lines on Soarin' has nothing to due with capacity. The basic problem with DCA is what causes the long lines on Soarin'. The lack of high quality attractions makes this one much more crowded.

all4thx
03-31-2002, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by coronamouseman
AVP:

Oh, so while the unsuspecting masses wearily go about their day with their limited "one-per-customer-at-a-time" Fastpass, there are a number of "fortunate few", who either by luck or by design or by purchase have a decided advantage in terms of using the Fastpass system ...............

Doesn't that seem the least bit "Machiavellian" from the standpoint that such a program is not documented or discussed or advertized to Disney AP's, regular guests or anybody else?
I, for one, would like to know if there are going to be a multitude of "privaleged" guests running around on a day I visit so as to not waste time in standby lines that will be even longer than normal as "preferred" guests are admitted in front of me ........

And as an AP would most certainly feel that my investment had been somewhat discounted by the fact that other guests were getting preferred access which was not available to me or other APs who are providing a big source of Disney income .........

Anybody else share that slight sense of betrayal or outrage?

Anybody else out there know about this situation?

Actually, I was aware of the trial run since cast members were informing guests on Thursday. Second, I don't see your point and understand your theory of some being priviledged and others not. Does everything have to be "black and white" in life?

Finally, you make it seem like you pay so much for an annual pass and that makes you special. You pay $199 for unlimited admission for a year, so seriously what are you expecting the royal, VIP treatment? It is the most discounted admission of all and frankly the park owes Annual Passholders nothing. The full-price, single day paying guests are the kings and your a peasant in terms of the value of your contribution to the bottom line.

Sorry, I don't share in your outrage and don't understand you.

all4thx
03-31-2002, 08:27 PM

Thanks,
Mark

Yes, you can. The freebie attraction does not count on your ticket. It basically allows you one FastPass for that attraction and allows you to get another FastPass or have another one that is currently valid in your posession.

all4thx
03-31-2002, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
On you last trip I was signed in by a CM, but took along my AP anyhow, I find out you can still get a FP even if you didn't use your AP to get in the park. :D Going to try my CM ticket next time we go to see if I get a bonus one. :)

Also, I think this "Free" FP system makes sense. :)

This should not be the case. If it was it was a freak occurance.

In late 2001 Disney upgraded the FastPass software to check to make sure that you're using a valid ticket or annual pass which was checked that day at the entrance gate.

Prior to this upgrade you could use anything with literally any bar code. The system was unfortunately abused by many ANNUAL PASSHOLDERS and that prompted the change.

cstephens
03-31-2002, 10:31 PM
We got a Fastpass for Pirates today, and it was a "freebie". Just to test the system, I tried to get another Fastpass for Pirates with the same AP, and I got the ticket telling me that I already had a Fastpass for that attraction and could not get another one until my return time (which was about 20 minutes away).

So that answers the question of whether or not you can cheat by getting multiple Fastpasses with the same entrance media on the "freebie" rides.

As for the Fastpasses given for special packages, no, I'm not outraged at all, but then, that kind of thing isn't something I feel the need to have a fit about. I'm sure there are all kinds of special perks given to select groups of people that I know nothing about. It happens. I have the ability to get Fastpass. My AP doesn't promise me anything else, so I'm not being cheated. My AP entitles me to admission to the park every day of the year, and among other things, discounts on some merchandise and discounts on some food items. I bought the AP knowing what was included. If they took away something they had promised me, then I might have a problem with that. Otherwise, how fast I can get on a ride isn't something that will make or break my day.

But that's just me.

/cs

Pluto stomped on my Thumper.

Uncle Dick
03-31-2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by all4thx

What are you talking about? Soarin' Over California has an excellent capacity.

Um, let's see here. Two theaters with about 100 seats each with a 15 min or so dispatch compared to two boats that seat around 20 which can dispatch in less than a minute or an Omnimover system. C'mon now. I know my figures are rough, but there's no way Soarin' can move people through like Pirates and HM.

In late 2001 Disney upgraded the FastPass software to check to make sure that you're using a valid ticket or annual pass which was checked that day at the entrance gate.

Prior to this upgrade you could use anything with literally any bar code. The system was unfortunately abused by many ANNUAL PASSHOLDERS and that prompted the change.
Of course, if I really wanted to, I could enter the park as a CM, exit and then reenter as an AP. Both my AP and the readmission ticket would be activated and double Fastpasses would be mine all day long.

So if Soarin' is the Freebie and I grab a Soarin' FP, when can I get the NEXT Soarin' FP?
I checked today and you treat the disconnected machines just as if they were their own system. Therefore, if you got a Soarin' FP for 1030 - 1130, you could get your next Soarin' FP at 1030, completely independent of any other FPs you have gotten. I assume the "two hour" rule also applies to individual machines.

Ghoulish Delight
04-01-2002, 07:42 AM
I'm thinking that saying that these FP machines are "disconnected from the system at large" or "on their own independant network" is not quite the accurate view. Maybe someone who is heading to the park this week can test this, but I'm guessing that if you get one FP each from 2 different "freebie" attractions, you can't get a third from anywhere. For instance, if they are running both Mansion and Pirates as a freebie, get a FP from Mansion, get a FP from Pirates. Now try to get a FP from Big Thunder. Even though Big Thunder is not a freebie, I bet it will still give you a "you already hold a FP for...." message.

Of course, I could be wrong, but that is my guess. It's doubtful they did any 'disconnecting' of anything. It's just a simple programming change that they made.

cemeinke
04-01-2002, 08:16 AM
Yesterday we got Fastpasses for Indy, Pirates, and Mansion, in that order without a problem. We couldn't get extra fastpasses from Pirates or Mansion though, they still had to mature independantly.

Ghoulish Delight
04-01-2002, 08:43 AM
Question, cemeinke. Were all three of those attractions being run as freebies?