PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice: Summer Vacation Planning

teamfx
01-16-2006, 07:20 AM
Hi. I've been doing a little early planning for a family trip to DLR on the 4th of July weekend (7/2-7/4). There'll be the 7 of us going by minivan (Me, DMOM, DSIS1, DSIS2, DBIL, DNIECE [7], DNEF [3]) and I have been considering staying on-site with the resort magic vacation package. I was just wondering what the pros and cons are when it comes to booking for that time of year. I want to make sure our time there goes by hassle-free. Here's some of what I've listed on what we might go for this year, so far.

- 3-Day Park Hopper
- 3-Day Meal Plan
- GCH 3-BDR Suite (two w/King Size, the other w/Queen Size and Bunks)
- Concierge Level

As always, additional tips would be helpful. All the best.

MsYumiBr
01-16-2006, 08:36 AM
If your going in July BOOK IT ASAP! 6 months leadtime is better, especially if you want a specific hotel, room, and concierge. You will probably need two rooms. Max is 5 in a standard room, but you can get more in a suite, especially if there are little kids in your party. Go for the resort view. With concierge and a suite you may be able to get the Sierra tower, however they tell you nothing is guaranteed. If you arrive before the weekend, early in the morning, chances are you will get what you want. As far as the GCH, I did not like the view, I did not like the smell, the rooms were small, we did not get a bunk bed, but I've never stayed in their suites. It may be nicer and actually have a view of the fireworks. I heard others could see them but I couldn't. We had a room over the Napa Rose. Summer is crazy. I would do the AAA package to get the enhanced fastpass. However, they make you pay some of it now. DO NOT LEAVE THE DL PARK on the 4th. If you stay at the DLH or resort hotel though, they might let you back in if they hit capacity. I wouldn't risk it. Check in is at 3:00. You can leave your bags with the bell hop and go to the park. Then, when you get back in the evening, it's not so busy to get your bags. In the summer, GCH has a lot of activities for hotel guests and makes the pool, tours and Pinnochio's workshop exclusive. Any way it will be a good time. I would make reservations as soon as you can for the character meals or restauarants. You are getting concierge so I would use them as soon as you make the reservations. They can help with the PSs and preparations. I know you will have a great time whatever you plan to do.

blackjackdelta
01-16-2006, 11:46 AM
Book now or you may not get what you want or even close to it.

teamfx
01-16-2006, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the inquiries. It was all very informative. I'll be sure to call in right away. Should DLR hit capacity on the 4th, we could always head back to the hotel to take a breather from the crowds. There's also another day at DCA to look forward to. Plus, I'm sure we'll have an equally good time checking out the activities that GCH will have in store throughout the week. We might just get a better view of the fireworks from there.

Gilliegrl
01-17-2006, 11:07 AM
As others have said. Definitly book now. Its going to be hot and crowded, but its Disney and you will still have fun. The good thing about staying where you are is that you can break up the day. We've gone in august and its miserable hot and crowded but knowing we were close we paced ourselves and concierge really helps too. Be sure to just take a break in the day to go back to the lounge to eat and relax. Use them to make all of your reservations too.