PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

emilousmom
01-15-2006, 07:33 PM
Okay, we are going to DLR in FEb, but I am stuck what to do!

BACKGROUND: Going for daughters 3rd bday. We are in San Diego. My parents are meeting us there Wednesday. Gonna do Princess lunch one day and Blue Bayou the toher.

QUESTION: Which would be better??

SCENE 1: (feb 7 - 10) Leave Tuesday(Feb 7th) and drive up, check into Candy CAne Inn or BWPP. Goto Park Wednesday and Thursday, Stay night in hotel, get up early and drive home Friday. We would have to buy $79 SoCa 2 day hopper.
SCENE 2: (Feb 8- 11) Leave WEdnesday(feb 8) morning, leave bag and check into hotel. Goto Park Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, spend the night and leave Sat morning. Doing this we would be able to see the Remember show and Fantastmic. We have not seen either one. We would either get the 3 day hopper through military for $115 or just get the SoCa annual pass for $119.

I am just so lost on what to do. Hubs won't talk to me about cause he is frustrated cause I over think everything,lol. What would you do??? Would you make sure to see the shows or since I don't know what I am missing will it matter??? Will the kid even care at that age about the shows? She loved the parade and that will be there on Wed and Thurs. Staying and extra day adds another $60 in tickets and $$ in food. I am soo lost , please help me!!!!!

Angela

hlbtimes2
01-15-2006, 09:25 PM
Fireworks, an extra day and the longer hours are well worth the $60! If you need to save money on food to justify it stay at the Candy Cane- you'll have breakfast included. Then take some small snacks to have on had during the day. If you want to do a character meal, go to the Grand or PP for breakfast. You can order from the menu at either one, rather then paying for the expensive buffet.

rentayenta
01-16-2006, 05:44 AM
SCENE 2: (Feb 8- 11) Leave WEdnesday(feb 8) morning, leave bag and check into hotel. Goto Park Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, spend the night and leave Sat morning. Doing this we would be able to see the Remember show and Fantastmic. We have not seen either one. We would either get the 3 day hopper through military for $115 or just get the SoCa annual pass for $119.

Angela

Scene 2 for sure! Both shows are worth seeing and an extra day at DL is always a plus. :)

losaitkens
01-16-2006, 07:22 AM
Scenario #2 for sure. I would also consider the SoCal Select if it isn't much more. San Diego isn't too far and you never know when you might find a day to sneak away to the park in the next year! Plus, Friday is always extended hours and while it is usually busier the shows make up for it. The fireworks show brings me to tears and fantasmic is amazing! Keep in mind with a three year old, these late night shows after 3 days of running around the park, might be tricky. I always take a break with my kids ( 6 years and 14 mos) in the afternoon whether they want to or not ;) My 6 year old has fought me on this since she was 4 years old but she really benefits from the down time and usually falls asleep and is then ready to go for the evening shows.

As far as the extra cost of another night/ another day of food at the parks, you really can make it work if you plan ahead and bring lots of snacks. When my daughter was 4 and we took her to DL, she NEVER wanted to eat. I had a lot more luck just feeding her granola bars, PB & Js, juice boxes and other things I could fit in my fanny pack throughout the day than any expensive park meals. DL is pretty good about letting you bring this kind of stuff in as long as it isn't in a big old cooler or excessive. Also, if your room has a fridge/ microwave, Easy Mac and a lot if other easy to prepare meals are perfect for 3 year olds. The adults are trickier but we try to only buy one park meal a day and find other alternatives for the rest of our meals. (I personally seem to exist on Churros, crappy Nescafe coffee and my adrenaline of being at the park but I would not advise this;) )

Be sure to poke around this site and the boards. There is lots of great info that will help plan your trip and is especially great for those of us who like to overthink things!

MonorailChris
01-16-2006, 08:32 AM
Choice # 2.if you want to buy snacks ,there is a food for less not far down kattella .you could by a big pack of snacks there and save LOTS of money from buying snacks at the hotel or the park.just remember no glass bottles.and besides you can always spare 2.75 to split a churro.i recomend the second showing of fantasmic,and try to get on the poc bridge so your little one can see everything.MAKE SURE YOU SEE 'REMEMBER' AND ALSO THE BLOCK PARTY PARADE,AND ALADDIN AT DCA.

emilousmom
01-16-2006, 01:41 PM
okay, I think we are going on wednesday thru saturday. I don't want to miss the fireworks and the show. I convinced the hubs that we can hang out on friday morning at the hotel for soe downtime and then head to DL in the afternoon so that we are not tired. I just think this will be better. With his scenerio we will be staying at BestWestern PP. I am excited, just nervous.

Oh, and I guess we will just buy the SoCa select passes for $4 more each. Don't know if we will use them again since daughter turns 3 and we will have to get her one. She doesn't turn 3 till the 11th, we will be in the park from the 8 thru th 10th so we still don't have to get her a ticket. Works out good. Didn't want to be there on a saturday, so we saved some money!

Ang

serendipityaey
01-16-2006, 02:01 PM
We're staying at the BWPPI the 8th thru the 12th, I'm so excited, especially to see the fireworks. I think you made the right decision, I wouldn't want to miss the shows :)

emilousmom
01-16-2006, 02:08 PM
now my mom through another curve ball, goto DL on WEd and Friday and then Knotts on Thursday. ARGH!!! Why oh why does this have to be so hard!!!!!!

Ang

mi_mous
01-16-2006, 02:30 PM
I would go with scenerio 2 as well. Get the annual passes, and then you can justify coming back more, especially when you are as close as San Diego (you mentioned Military. Camp Pendleton isn't too far from Disneyland, if that is where you are, but you don't have to give details. I just remember going past it and wishing I lived in Camp Pendelton for that reason. I know, it's silly.)
But, I think the fireworks are worth having the passes. I just went last Friday JUST to see Fantasmic, and we all had a great time! We saw the fireworks too, which was a plus to the night.

emilousmom
01-16-2006, 02:52 PM
we are allllll the way down in Imperial Beach. About 5 miles from the border! But the hubs does work up at camp pendleton! So he could always go after work,lol.

Wendi
01-16-2006, 05:58 PM
I'd also go with Scenario #2. Definitely get the APs, if you go again anytime during the year (and how can you not if you live in San Diego???) your tickets are already paid for... no added expense. AND you can certainly recoup the $4 extra in discounts. In fact, have you checked the on-site hotels to see if they have "AP Nights" rates available during your stay? They could actually end up being cheaper than an off-site...