PDA

View Full Version : Main Street Music Loops

Mickey
01-15-2006, 11:05 AM
Hello everyone! I have some questions...
Ive seen in some internet links that there are 2 versions of the Main Street Music Loop.

1.-Main Street Music Loop (1972-1992)
2.-Main Street Loop (1992-Present)

And is there only ONE version of the Christmas Loop?
1.-Main Street Christmas Loop (1972-Present?)

Thank you so much for your help!

kisroo
01-15-2006, 11:54 AM
Have you checked www.visionsfantastic.com for another Christmas loop? They seem to have a large selection. So does E-Ticket Radio, but I haven't figured out how to search for a particular selection there.

~kisroo:)

pisces
01-16-2006, 09:39 AM
http://www.whaleweb.net/kirsten/dml/

potzbie
01-16-2006, 04:08 PM
http://www.whaleweb.net/kirsten/dml/

That is a super duper list.

Does anyone have the scoop on why the songs from "THE MUSIC MAN" (Merideth Willson) and "OKLAHOMA!" (Rogers and Hammerstein) is so heavily favored?
e.g.,
(MUSIC MAN)
• Wells Fargo wagon
• Iowa stubborn
• Lida Rose
(OKLAHOMA)
• Many a new day
• Kansas City
• Surrey with a fringe on top

Two of my favorite soundtrack albums, too.

As I have mentioned before, the music at Disneyland is one of the primary reasons I bought an annual pass.
The live acts booked, and the ambience music, is just so perfect.

I'll never forget the day that one of the BILLYs from BILLY HILL AND THE HILLBILLIES stopped by the New Orleans Square street where the ROYAL STREET BACHELORS (a jazz trio) were playing, and joined in for a few tunes.
Wow! So cool!

Rod Miller, Alan, Johnny, and sometimes Eric, who play piano at the COCA COLA CORNER, is a favorite stop, too.

The music of Main Street USA is the cherry on the icing of the cake.

Opus1guy
01-16-2006, 04:51 PM
Does anyone have the scoop on why the songs from "THE MUSIC MAN" (Meridith Willson) and "OKLAHOMA!" (Rogers and Hammerstein) is so heavily favored?

Most of them are there to supply an almost subliminal emotional connection with the area and even mid-west theme of Main Street. A few are even rather directly related to what's "going on" on Main Street (like "Surrey With The Fringe"). Not to mention that at least one of the folks that selected the playlist was a huge fan of those movies! ;)

In another thread on the use of "Blazing Saddle's" music in Frontierland, I posted the following:

It got there mainly due to Tony Baxter, Eddie Sotto and Disneyland's own music master: Stacia Martin, who Imagineering called in from Disneyland to consult and help build a playlist.

Many years ago when it was decided to update the music tracks all over the park (mainly because they were creating new tracks for the then soon-to-open Euro Disneyland theme park), they felt they wanted not only generic historical theme music, but also more contemporary music that would make the same type of subliminal emotional connection to the newer generations. And especially for Europeans who got much of their U.S. cultural musical "connection" from the scores of U.S. films and television. They selected scores from various non-Disney movies and television shows, along with some other pieces (like from composer Aaron Copland) to include in the new tracks.

Tracks from The Music Man, Hello Dolly, Blazing Saddles and many other non-Disney films and TV shows made the cut. However, Stacia (being a true blue Disney person) was particularly proud that a cut from Walt Disney's "The Happiest Millionaire" made the list (it's her favorite Disney live-action film).

Additionally, Walt Disney was a big fan of Meredith Wilson and his Music Man play. So much so that at Walt Disney World's Grand Opening in 1971, Roy O. Disney (Walt's brother) felt it would be appropriate for the celebration and asked Meredith himself to personally lead a huge Marching Band featuring 1,076 trombones down Main Street at the festivities. It was quite a sight! So there is a real history between Wilson and Disney there.